Realistic Cruising Times on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

You may be able to run a lead out and recharge the batteries ready for the next day,

Don't anticipate doing that unless the power is "free", which seems unlikely... 😉

On 13/03/2023 at 15:12, Captain Pegg said:

It only takes a weekend to explore the BCN. I recommend 27th/28th May.

My reasons for doing Standedge are similar. I used to visit parts of the Huddersfield narrow and Rochdale canals before they were restored on Sunday trips out when I lived in York. I wouldn't have believed they'd have been open well within a decade of that time. In fact I'm not sure that I believed either would ever reopen throughout.

That's a level of detail that isn't present on the notice on the stoppages site (unless I've not read it all).

It doesn't really matter because the trip is definitely a weekend start from the Marple area (I'm eying up New Mils for proximity to the railway station) and midweek through Standedge. There's time either way providing I'm at least at 24W by the previous evening.

ETA - is the discrepancy because your information is literally current (albeit moot because the canal is closed) whereas I'm reading the notices that apply for the 2023 season that is yet to start?

Had a email from CRT today confirming there is no restrictions whatsoever on the west of the HNC at the moment, and they weill post any changes on their stoppages list, allowing anybody who wishes up to Diggle. I walked along to the lock at Dobcross today  and there is no padlocks or signs up.

• Greenie 2

On 15/03/2023 at 09:52, PD1964 said:

Not that hard. You can easily do Doncaster in a day, especially with crew, The slowest bit is from Sheffield to Rotherham (the flight and manual old locks) once past there all big electric, all normally self filling so ready for you. Wide canals and rivers so no crawling past Cmoorers on tickover for hours at a time, you can be at Doncaster for 5pm if all goes to plan and you start down the flight normal time 9am. Light nights and warm weather I would be moving, as once on the HNC and that way, who knows what delays you might have with stoppages/water levels???

Do you mean the locks are deliberately (automatically?) refilled after a boat going down? I thought they were boater operated?

23 minutes ago, IanD said:

Do you mean the locks are deliberately (automatically?) refilled after a boat going down? I thought they were boater operated?

They are boater operated - unless of course a commercial boat is passing and you happen to catch a locky at one and there is room to share.

That statement confused me too, as I always found if the lock was empty it needed filling using the sluices. Unless something has changed since 2015, but I cant think what that possibly could be.

Lock sharing.JPG

Edited by M_JG

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Once your down, in most cases the top sluices are set automatically to open after a minute or so, so filling the lock. The locks are normally set for you when going from Sheffield. The following locks may have volunteers on. Aldwick, Mexborough top, Mexborough low, Long Sandel and Syke house, but obviously this is down to the volunteers, but these are the volunteer operated ones.

You can make good time going down to Doncaster, especially if there are two boats as you can “pepper pot” alternative locks.

2 hours ago, M_JG said:

They are boater operated - unless of course a commercial boat is passing and you happen to catch a locky at one and there is room to share.

Lock sharing.JPG

You can’t share as the commercial’s take the whole lock, the only one you can share Is Pollington when the lock keeper uses the full length chamber.

Photo taken from the lock gates, absolutely no chance of sharing, especially when she powers out.

F6778CDC-59B0-4D8F-980E-95B355848B46.jpeg.0d50ceb14340f41b52e71aa10ba97bdd.jpeg

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Once your down, in most cases the top sluices are set automatically to open after a minute or so, so filling the lock. The locks are normally set for you when going from Sheffield. The following locks may have volunteers on. Aldwick, Mexborough top, Mexborough low, Long Sandel and Syke house, but obviously this is down to the volunteers, but these are the volunteer operated ones.

You can make good time going down to Doncaster, especially if there are two boats as you can “pepper pot” alternative locks.

You can’t share as the commercial’s take the whole lock, the only one you can share Is Pollington when the lock keeper uses the full length chamber.

Photo taken from the lock gates, absolutely no chance of sharing, especially when she powers out.

F6778CDC-59B0-4D8F-980E-95B355848B46.jpeg.0d50ceb14340f41b52e71aa10ba97bdd.jpeg

Read what I wrote before trying to pull me up.

I said where there is room. Like in the lock where I pictured us sharing with one of the gravel barges, Which isnt Pollington BTW.

Obviously now that the shorter gravel barges have stopped running this is going to be impossible, however the lockies would always lock a leaisure boat through if the timings were right and a commercial was in the vicinity,

The locky had just sent us through here at Sprotborough. When we came out we realised he had done this because Humber Princess was coming the other way.

Screenshot_20230321-144118_Photos.jpg

Edited by M_JG

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Will be aiming to enter the top lock at 9am, most likely travelling alone (i.e. no other boat, but with four of us on board), aiming for Sprotbrough.

Do we need to contact the volunteers or will they just be there? (this will be towards the end of June)

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Will be aiming to enter the top lock at 9am, most likely travelling alone (i.e. no other boat, but with four of us on board), aiming for Sprotbrough.

Do we need to contact the volunteers or will they just be there? (this will be towards the end of June)

Sprotborough is a lovely spot. One of our favourite moorings. Cant comment on the pub though as it yonks since we moored there. 

Screenshot_20230321-142743_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230321-142733_Photos.jpg

Edited by M_JG

15 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Sprotborough is a lovely spot. One of our favourite moorings. Cant comment on the pub though as it yonks since we moored there. 

Screenshot_20230321-142743_Photos.jpg

That's one reason for aiming for Sprotbrough instead of carrying on and trying to make Doncaster. Is mooring either side? (I assume that's the pub at the bend)

The pub is still decent according to recent reviews -- of course that could change in the next three months, going by what's happening to many pubs nowadays... 😞

Edited by IanD

28 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's one reason for aiming for Sprotbrough instead of carrying on and trying to make Doncaster. Is mooring either side?

The pub is still decent according to recent reviews -- of course that could change in the next three months, going by what's happening to many pubs nowadays... 😞

There is bollards on the pub side but from memory there was a no mooring sign, but that was ages ago. ISTR a trip boat used to go from there.

However that pic. was taken from the bridge so its easy to get across to other side but a bit of a walk from memory as you first go out onto the road back over the bridge past where that pic. was taken and then down a side road back towards the pub.

The section between Sprotbrough and Donny is stunning too. Always reminded me of being on a river in France.

Screenshot_20230321-145745_Photos.jpg

Just had a quick skeggy on street view to jog my memory, this is the exit from the side we were moored on at Sprotbrough. The (narrow) footpath is on the other side.

Screenshot_20230321-150713_Earth.jpg

Edited by M_JG

19 minutes ago, M_JG said:

There is bollards on the pub side but from memory there was a no mooring sign, but that was ages ago. ISTR a trip boat used to go from there.

However that pic. was taken from the bridge so its easy to get across to other side but a bit of a walk from memory as you first go out onto the road back over the bridge past where that pic. was taken and then down a side road back towards the pub.

The section between Sprotbrough and Donny is stunning too. Always reminded me of being on a river in France.

I guess I can try the pub side first, and if there's no mooring there I can use the 48V bow thruster and Schilling rudder to crab sideways across to the opposite bank... 😉

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I guess I can try the pub side first, and if there's no mooring there I can use the 48V bow thruster and Schilling rudder to crab sideways across to the opposite bank... 😉

We always opted for the otherside anyway for the peace and quiet.

There is/was a small car park and seating just there on the pub side so if the weather was nice you would get a few comings and goings, car doors slamming etc.

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

Read what I wrote before trying to pull me up.

I said where there is room. Like in the lock where I pictured us sharing with one of the gravel barges, Which isnt Pollington BTW.

Obviously now that the shorter gravel barges have stopped running this is going to be impossible, however the lockies would always lock a leaisure boat through if the timings were right and a commercial was in the vicinity,

The locky had just sent us through here at Sprotborough. When we came out we realised he had done this because Humber Princess was coming the other way.

Screenshot_20230321-144118_Photos.jpg

Your information as you say is from 2015, so not really up to date, as I say you can’t share with the Humber Pride on the S&SY.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You don’t need to book anything with the locks past the Tinsley flight, the volunteer lock keepers are normally around, all depends on the day and if they want to volunteer.

If there’s a boat going down on the same day you will be sharing, as the water is back pumped to keep the length watered, so you share up and down.

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

We always opted for the otherside anyway for the peace and quiet.

There is/was a small car park and seating just there on the pub side so if the weather was nice you would get a few comings and goings, car doors slamming etc.

You’ll be better off opposite the pub, as your getting the Chav “Too fast Too furious” going down to the car park at night, playing the boom music out of their cars, so better off opposite👍🚗

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

Just now, PD1964 said:

Your information as you say is from 2015, so not really up to date, as I say you can’t share with the Humber Pride on the s&syn

Which of course I didnt say you could. Have the locks shrunk in the intervening years?

I was talking in general about the locks Ian will pass through to get to his ultimate destination, including the one I pictured us sharing a commercial gravel barge with, (which wasnt Pollington).

Just now, M_JG said:

Which of course I didnt say you could. Have the locks shrunk in the intervening years?

I was talking in general about the locks Ian will pass through to get to his ultimate destination, including the one I pictured us sharing a commercial gravel barge with, (which wasnt Pollington).

Your not talking in general the locks @IanD will be passing through with regards to sharing locks, because most of them he cannot share, I’m talking Tanker size, the little gravel barges stopped running years ago.

24 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Your not talking in general the locks @IanD will be passing through with regards to sharing locks, because most of them he cannot share, I’m talking Tanker size, the little gravel barges stopped running years ago.

How on earth can you say somebody is not talking about something when they clearly have told you they are.? Its not for you to tell me what I am talking about

Bizzare in the extreme, but then........

There will be times when he gets locked through if one of the tankers is about, and the timing is right we sometimes were.

You are just so quick to try and trip others up you end up doing it to youself.

I noticed you havent acknowledged your earlier error about Pollington being the only lock where there would have been room to share.

Tut tut.

Anyway Ive broken my rule of not responding to your tripe so I will leave it there.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

(I assume that's the pub at the bend)😞

Sorry I missed you'd added this.

Yes that is The Boat Inn.

Aptly named (or perhaps not) as it has flooded in the past but there have been some flood alleviation works along there since we were last there. 

Screenshot_20230321-155234_BBC News.jpg

Edited by M_JG

22 minutes ago, M_JG said:

How on earth can you say somebody is not talking about something when they clearly have told you they are.? Its not for you to tell me what I am talking about

Bizzare in the extreme, but then........

There will be times when he gets locked through if one of the tankers is about, and the timing is right we sometimes were.

You are just so quick to try and trip others up you end up doing it to youself.

I noticed you havent acknowledged your earlier error about Pollington being the only lock where there would have been room to share.

Tut tut.

Anyway Ive broken my rule of not responding to your tripe so I will leave it there.

Sorry I missed you'd added this.

Yes that is The Boat Inn.

Aptly named (or perhaps not) as it has flooded in the past but there have been some flood alleviation works along there since we were last there. 

Screenshot_20230321-155234_BBC News.jpg

Yes Bulholme lock with a little gravel barge, as I said they stopped running years ago. The info your giving is from 2015, not current just highlighted with the little gravel barge, when did they stop running? He’s asking about getting to Sprotborough and the S&SY so generally not the area your talking about.
  If @IanD wants to take advice from 8 years ago and from someone who never got past Sprotborough so be it, but I doubt he will, as he wants to know what’s happening today on the canal he’s travelling on, not what it was like 8 year ago.

Just now, M_JG said:

Your talking 2015, not up to date info as @IanD is after. 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Guys, no need to get your knickers in a twist about this, I was only looking for some advice -- which was helpful, thank you 🙂

Yes Sorry, but you know what he’s like. You have a few month to go, anything I pick up to get down the flight or anything you should know that’s relevant, I’ll let you know👍

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, IanD said:

Guys, no need to get your knickers in a twist about this, I was only looking for some advice -- which was helpful, thank you 🙂

Unfortunately he cant let it go, as he has just shown, even though its made plain that he wont get a response, remind you of anyone?

But rest assured most of the info. I personally provided is  accurate. Where I havent been confident, such as an up to date review of the Boat Inn or the current status of the moorings on that side I have made this 100% clear. 

As to the lock sharing issue this is a bit of side show really, I only originally mentioned it because I knew this forum (being what it is) somebody would in response to me saying the locks are boater operated would pipe up with 'yeah but not always'.

Of course in doing so I should have expected someone to even pick me up on the clarification when they might in fact be operated for you.

Hey ho..

Edited by M_JG

Coming back to Sprotburgh, there is (or was) another pub up in the village with its own cricket pitch.  I remember one Sunday evening sitting on the verandah watching the cricket to the sound of church bells, supping beer at £1.50 a pint (A Sam Smiths pub, so very cheap, and a few years ago).  Paradise.

6 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Coming back to Sprotburgh, there is (or was) another pub up in the village with its own cricket pitch.  I remember one Sunday evening sitting on the verandah watching the cricket to the sound of church bells, supping beer at £1.50 a pint (A Sam Smiths pub, so very cheap, and a few years ago).  Paradise.

That'll be The Ivanhoe then. Still Sam Smiths, but a fair way from the canal -- and seems less well received than The Boat, as far as you can trust online reviews... 😉

Just now, IanD said:

That'll be The Ivanhoe then. Still Sam Smiths, but a fair way from the canal -- and seems less well received than The Boat, as far as you can trust online reviews... 😉

Its a bit of a uphill walk up to the actual village from the moorings...