Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

i think a brolly might be a tad cheaper :) but, if it suits you good on you bud

I paid £40 for mine about 10years ago.

24 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Looks interesting but I would baulk at the possibility being mistaken for a fisherw****r. 

A volocky once said I looked like a racing driver in it! :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I think it was a BWML when I was in it a few years ago?? Its a shame the road approach and area is so grotty. Great bit of waterway though.

How many years?

Lemonroryd, Woodlsford, Castleford full of continuous Moorers, people on here who are advising the OP seam to have no up to date knowledge of the area. Let’s talk today not 15-20 years ago.

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

13 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

How many years?

Lemonroryd, Woodlsford, Castleford full of continuous Moorers, people on here who are advising the OP seam to have no up to date knowledge of the area. Let’s talk today not 15-20 years ago.

spoken to Maz... she said there will be a spot in october... i just need to keep msging her to remind her lol

21 minutes ago, Ianws said:

But can you unzip or totally remove the suit easily in the first place ? The receptacle isn't the problem. I don't know if the suit has an appropriately placed zipper.

I believe the bucket solution does not need a zip. 

• Happy 1

Anyone can take that spot. Please don’t think your top of the list.

Let’s be brutally honest, @mightyslay3r your dream is just a dream, yes sell your house buy a boat, move your family onboard, you haven’t a clue to what it involves. Sorry you’ve watched YouTube Vlogs and think you live in a sh@t area and life is sh@t, but you need a reality check, just because you and your family think life will be better on a boat it won’t be. Put your house on the market, sell it, buy a boat, live in a Marina, daughter can’t cope, moves in with brother, your money runs out, claim benefits, shit life, but nice view of the boat next pontoon, back to square one. Reality. I wish people would be more honest, until you sell your house, have funds, buy boat, it’s pointless going any further with this Thread. What if, Maybe????????

Answer this: Sell your house, £100K, buy a good 58’ family boat £60K plus, couple of years in a Marina £20K, then what if your family don’t like it? Little money left,  boat now worth £50K, I don’t know if you have any early pensions in place, but back to work, boat depreciating? Back to Social Services for housing, back to where you live now. It’s not YouTube in the real world. 
  Sorry if any of the Rose Tinted YouTube watcher’s are offended, but I may see real life on the Canals a little different. 

Edited by PD1964
  • Unimpressed 2
  • Angry 1

44 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Anyone can take that spot. Please don’t think your top of the list.

Let’s be brutally honest, @mightyslay3r your dream is just a dream, yes sell your house buy a boat, move your family onboard, you haven’t a clue to what it involves. Sorry you’ve watched YouTube Vlogs and think you live in a sh@t area and life is sh@t, but you need a reality check, just because you and your family think life will be better on a boat it won’t be. Put your house on the market, sell it, buy a boat, live in a Marina, daughter can’t cope, moves in with brother, your money runs out, claim benefits, shit life, but nice view of the boat next pontoon, back to square one. Reality. I wish people would be more honest, until you sell your house, have funds, buy boat, it’s pointless going any further with this Thread. What if, Maybe????????

mmm, you've been so helpful up to this point.. i dont get it.. hostility over load? last person to tell me what to do was my sgt major... many years ago

there is no "what if" m8.. its gonna happen....

if the thread is boring you.. move on.. simple has..

im here to get ideas.. not be told "leave it alone, you wont cut it" 

i spent years out in war zones, in shity sand hot spots... i spent many many years stuck in a freaking truck sleeper cab... 

you do not know my capabilities so please dont tell me not to do anything.. in fact, dont tell anyone not to... (you did... so why cant anyone else?) because it makes me more determined to show we can do it...

fek me.. i came here for help... not to be told dont do it... thats never gonna happen.. all 3 of us are determined to make this work.. for all of us...

so just try giving good advice, problems you over came etc... its really has simple has that.. or is humanity not a brotherhood of helpers but haters these day?

fek it.. im going to bed.... 

i may have gone a little OTT there guys.. sorry for that.. im well annoyed

Edited by mightyslay3r
  • Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

mmm, you've been so helpful up to this point.. i dont get it.. hostility over load? last person to tell me what to do was my sgt major... many years ago

there is no "what if" m8.. its gonna happen....

if the thread is boring you.. move on.. simple has..

im here to get ideas.. not be told "leave it alone, you wont cut it" 

i spent years out in war zones, in shity sand hot spots... i spent many many years stuck in a freaking truck sleeper cab... 

you do not know my capabilities so please dont tell me not to do anything.. in fact, dont tell anyone not to... (you did... so why cant anyone else?) because it makes me more determined to show we can do it...

fek me.. i came here for help... not to be told dont do it... thats never gonna happen.. all 3 of us are determined to make this work.. for all of us...

so just try giving good advice, problems you over came etc... its really has simple has that.. or is humanity not a brotherhood of helpers but haters these day?

fek it.. im going to bed.... 

No, I’m just trying to tell you to really think about it, you have bricks and mortar, once you sell it you have nothing. A boat that looses value that’s it. Life’s great on the canals if you have a good monthly income without work, just please try it before you loose everything. Non of yous have been on a boat, but you all think it’s the life you want. Please don’t get carried away and most on here haven’t lived on one full time with a grown up family. Sorry, if you were single all ok, but I don’t you to spoil it for your families future. 

Edited by PD1964

Also if you get quite a long narrow boat it is worth considering having two fires on it. I'm a bit of a fan of coal and wood for heating. Actually more than a bit - it is essential. 

Its worth discussing this with the others as it does come up as a significant topic when living on boats. Burning these fuels does cause some issues around dirt and dust. 

You can do it with diesel heaters obviously. Mooring means electric but that is not a nice way to heat a boat and very expensive. 

At the end of the day it is the lavatory and the winter which defines whether people can deal with living on a narrow boat. 

You sound like you can live ok in a shed which I am sure most of us gentlemen are happy with but you need to go through all of this with the ladies. 

Also room for things like washing machine and tumble drier is worth considering. 

I don't like domestic appliances in general but my inner London residential boat does have a very small tumble drier. To me this is the one appliance you really do want to have if you are on mains electric. One can wash one's clothes weekly in the sink with a dolly and bio powder but drying is a nightmare. Do like my mini tumble drier. 

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also if you get quite a long narrow boat it is worth considering having two fires on it. I'm a bit of a fan of coal and wood for heating. Actually more than a bit - it is essential. 

Its worth discussing this with the others as it does come up as a significant topic when living on boats. Burning these fuels does cause some issues around dirt and dust. 

You can do it with diesel heaters obviously. Mooring means electric but that is not a nice way to heat a boat and very expensive. 

At the end of the day it is the lavatory and the winter which defines whether people can deal with living on a narrow boat. 

You sound like you can live ok in a shed which I am sure most of us gentlemen are happy with but you need to go through all of this with the ladies. 

Also room for things like washing machine and tumble drier is worth considering. 

I don't like domestic appliances in general but my inner London residential boat does have a very small tumble drier. To me this is the one appliance you really do want to have if you are on mains electric. One can wash one's clothes weekly in the sink with a dolly and bio powder but drying is a nightmare. Do like my mini tumble drier. 

You are bonkers Andrew! I have a automatic washing machine quick and does a great job, in winter clothes dry fast near the Rayburn, summer they drifts in the wheelhouse or outside 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

He can only go the size of his mooring, up North there’s few, if any designated 70ft moorings. If he wants to restrict travel I wouldn’t go over 60ft.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You are bonkers Andrew! I have a automatic washing machine quick and does a great job, in winter clothes dry fast near the Rayburn, summer they drifts in the wheelhouse or outside 

My boat is far too small to fit a washing machine in it. Tumble drier I can accommodate and it doubles as my seat. 

One does have to make some compromises when the living space including all facilities is 10 square metres. 

Certainly a lot larger than a boatman's cabin. 

I do have a mains powered wash boiler for really tricky jobs but it is outside. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Just now, mightyslay3r said:

going to read through all of the other threads today.. to pick up tips, advice & general knowledge ... thanks guys

Wow, I hope you are a speed reader.

There are rather a lot of other threads. 

• Haha 2