• Yes, I own a boat share
    • Not currently but I have owned a boat in the past
    • I have never owned a boat but may purchase one in future
    • No, I do not own a boat and currently have no plans to buy one
    • I'm not happy about this question and I wish to complain about it
    • Abstain

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Knew a chap who owned a tug style narrow boat named after the river that runs through Nuneaton and Polesworth, the Anker...

I remember that boat. Nice little craft that was. Used to really get around. 

This is the River Uck sign which has a different format to all other signs. 

IMG_20230224_094502.jpg.47b11dedb1c410884b51bc0885ef3baa.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I take it the honeymoon period has ended then. 

I believe in giving people several chances, but every time I unblocked him he kicked off another personal argument within a day or so -- often started by "Oh, I thought you'd blocked me, what a hypocrite" or similar. There are several people like him on CWDF whose only aim in life seems to be to provoke arguments -- often unrelated to the subject -- and wind people up, then blame them if it all gets too nasty. They often post sly comments about others to try and get a rise out of them, just like M_JG has done several times on this thread and others -- and yes I see them sometimes when quoted by people whose posts *are* worth reading... 😉

Arguments happen on the web all the time, often due to misinterpretation of what was written (no facial clues or body language), but as far as I'm concerned with behaviour like this it's three strikes and your out -- I just can't be arsed with people who use these tactics as a matter of course. And I'm sure that following this post there'll be the usual comments from M_JG and cronies about why blocking people is a sign of debating cowardice -- another dig to try and elicit a response! -- but the simple fact is it's not worth trying to have a discussion with s*it-stirrers and name-callers like him... 😞 

And if anyone blocks me because they don't like what I post -- especially if I keep pointing out inconvenient truths against their alternative facts -- well, it's a free country, fill your boots 🙂

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

We used to live close to the River UCK in Sussex.

I used to walk past the River Uck sign every working day on my way from my house in Uckfield to my school. I am unsure if there's a mathematical name for it, but the sign comprised two rectangles, of which the upper one was wider than the lower one, thus:

RIVER

UCK

I also found that Uckfield lent itself to anagrams, of which "Dickfule" was one of the more polite ones.

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Pratt's Bottom and Ramsbottom are reasonably titter worthy. 

I used to know a great band from Derbyshire called Ramsbottom...

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I used to walk past the River Uck sign every working day on my way from my house in Uckfield to my school. I am unsure if there's a mathematical name for it, but the sign comprised two rectangles, of which the upper one was wider than the lower one, thus:

RIVER

UCK

I also found that Uckfield lent itself to anagrams, of which "Dickfule" was one of the more polite ones.

The opposite problem to Canal Street in Manchester then...

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

....is surely the aim of many posters; we wouldn't have a discussion forum without people responding to others.

I think you know what I mean -- deliberate provoking and needling, often using personal denigration unrelated to the discussion, to try and provoke an argument, as often used by toddlers and Donald Trump. I suspect you'll find plenty of examples in M_JG's posts, going by the unpleasant example I saw quoted earlier... 😞

Vigorous and informed debate, absolutely, bring it on, it's what a FORUM is for 🙂

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

I think you know what I mean -- deliberate provoking and needling, often using personal denigration unrelated to the discussion, to try and provoke an argument, as often used by toddlers and Donald Trump. I suspect you'll find plenty of examples in M_JG's posts, going by the unpleasant example I saw quoted earlier... 😞

Vigorous and informed debate, absolutely, bring it on, it's what a FORUM is for 🙂

I will not  be falling out with anyone especially on a forum, however haven't you just done the exact same thing with your comments? Some people actually like Trump but your comments could be seen as provocation to some. 

Just saying 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, M_JG said:

Not in anyway original Mr. D please try harder......

I honestly could not imagine a worse night out sat in a pub with a decent pint but being subject to your gobbing off about boats, canals, licence fees, solar, composting toilets, the meaning of life, brexit etc etc...

I would seriously lose the will to live after 10 mins. during which you would talk over me and everybody else.

I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a raving nutter.

Don’t know why it’s took me so long to realise what an absolute looney he is.

A total narcissist 

35 minutes ago, IanD said:

Ugglebarmby

Ooooo, i’ve driven through there on a scenic route to Scarbados. Don’t recall much apart from the name, the steepness of the hill, and a higher than average amount of public grit bins. Still love the name :) 

Just now, JemShaun said:

I will not  be falling out with anyone especially on a forum, however haven't you just done the exact same thing with your comments? Some people actually like Trump but your comments could be seen as provocation to some. 

Just saying 

Of course he has. That is the funny bit, he does it all the time but just cannot see it.

9 minutes ago, JemShaun said:

Just saying 

I'm simply pointing out two well-known examples of users of these tactics. Because -- well, they are basically infantile and insulting. Rather like this...

Majka ti je bila hrčak, a otac je mirisao na bobice bazge.

I make no excuse for saying I disapprove of unpleasant tactics like this, because they turn CWDF into a less pleasant place to be -- and the blame rests on the shoulders of a relatively small number of people at any one time, probably half a dozen or so.

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

I'm simply pointing out two well-known examples of users of these tactics. Because -- well, they are.

I make no excuse for saying I disapprove of unpleasant tactics like this, because they turn CWDF into a less pleasant place to be -- and the blame rests on the shoulders of a relatively small number of people at any one time.

Everyone has an opinion, how we perceive that opinion says a lot about ourselves. If we do not like the opinion then we have a choice to either comment with our own opinion or just let it pass. 

• Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I remember that boat. Nice little craft that was. Used to really get around. 

This is the River Uck sign which has a different format to all other signs. 

IMG_20230224_094502.jpg.47b11dedb1c410884b51bc0885ef3baa.jpg

If that is the one on the Uckfield bypass, it took them ages to conclude they should leave no space for defacement and change it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JemShaun said:

Everyone has an opinion, how we perceive that opinion says a lot about ourselves. If we do not like the opinion then we have a choice to either comment with our own opinion or just let it pass. 

Which is why I have M_JG on ignore. He started this particular spat with his comments upthread, I've pointed out what I think about that and why I don't approve. If you don't like that, look away now... 😉

P.S. Thanks for the thinly-disguised criticism, it's a perfect example of what I was talking about 🙂

Edited by IanD

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ducklife.

Yep, that was another of them. After moved there, I used a different arrangement of the letters each time I wrote to my friend (as people used to do in those far-off days of the 1980s). I think I managed six, only two of which would be censored on here.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Yep, that was another of them. After moved there, I used a different arrangement of the letters each time I wrote to my friend (as people used to do in those far-off days of the 1980s). I think I managed six, only two of which would be censored on here.

f.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Which is why I have M_JG on ignore. He started this particular spat with his comments upthread, I've pointed out what I think about that and why I don't approve. If you don't like that, look away now... 😉

P.S. Thanks for the thinly-disguised criticism, it's a perfect example of what I was talking about 🙂

It wasn't criticism, I couldn't care less who you or the OP speak too, I was saying we all have a choice as to whether we agree with someone's opinions or not.  if I disagree with you or anyone, I wont be venting my disappointment on a forum

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

One of which was not Dickfule. Hmm.