C&RT License Survey

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

My understanding is that, because road tax is not hypothecated, motorists pay more in road tax than the government spends on roads, so motorists subsidise general taxation.  Even if my understanding about road tax is not correct, I believe that it is certainly so if what motorists pay in fuel duty is included. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

36 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What wasn't predicted was how low the CC surcharge was going to be. I'd expected it to be at least the average of the EOG rate, ie about 90% of the licence cost. If I was a CCer, I'd be keeping my head down right now.

That's  true

But the outcome in favour of narrow craft with a home mooring was predictable

You are correct the wide beam surcharge on the scale now proposed was not predicted on this forum as far as I know, especially since some wide beam surcharges are already  in place.

And continuous cruisers got off lightly.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My understanding is that, because road tax is not hypothecated, motorists pay more in road tax than the government spends on roads, so motorists subsidise general taxation.  Even if my understanding about riad tax is not correct, I believe that it is certainly so if what motorists pay in fuel duty is included. 

I think you're missing the point - we all pay various forms of tax, which goes into a big pot from which government provides services - such as roads. The more tax you pay, irrespective of the type of tax, the more you contribute to each head of expenditure.

Of course, many motorists don't have to pay VED anyway,

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

It is expects that around 10,000 will be added to the exempt list under the historic car (I E. Old banger) exemption.

And, of course, not everyone pays it when they should

"Statistics published by the Department for Transport shows an estimated 719,000 vehicles are being used despite their vehicle excise duty (VED) not being paid."

44 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's  true

But the outcome in favour of narrow craft with a home mooring was predictable

You are correct the wide beam surcharge on the scale now proposed was not predicted on this forum as far as I know, especially since some wide beam surcharges are already  in place.

And continuous cruisers got off lightly.

I'm surprised that area-based charging wasn't adopted, which would have been a much bigger widebeam surcharge -- and a bigger CC surcharge. Also surprised at the long time to phase them in, I would have expected two or three years not five.

So both widebeams and CCers got off lightly...

35 minutes ago, Bristolfashion said:

I think you're missing the point - we all pay various forms of tax, which goes into a big pot from which government provides services - such as roads. The more tax you pay, irrespective of the type of tax, the more you contribute to each head of expenditure.

Of course, many motorists don't have to pay VED anyway,

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

It is expects that around 10,000 will be added to the exempt list under the historic car (I E. Old banger) exemption.

And, of course, not everyone pays it when they should

"Statistics published by the Department for Transport shows an estimated 719,000 vehicles are being used despite their vehicle excise duty (VED) not being paid."

I have a number of vehicles that are tax free and do small mileage 

55 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My understanding is that, because road tax is not hypothecated, motorists pay more in road tax than the government spends on roads, so motorists subsidise general taxation.  Even if my understanding about riad tax is not correct, I believe that it is certainly so if what motorists pay in fuel duty is included. 

Boaters pay fuel duty but don't use the roads 

• Horror 1

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have a number of vehicles that are tax free and do small mileage 

We have three vehicles at present. One is zero rated for VED, one will very shortly become zero rated for VED when it reaches 40 years young and the other one costs in the region of £300 a year.

Mileage varies. Zero rated daily runner averages around 18k a year. Van about 6k miles and old one hasn't done many this year maybe 10.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, MtB said:

I certainly use the roads! 

Have you got a CRT licence for the car as you use the canals as well 

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

Everyone uses the roads.

So we are paying an unfair amount towards the roads just because we are boaters?

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you got a CRT licence for the car as you use the canals as well 

So we are paying an unfair amount towards the roads just because we are boaters?

Life can be unfair. Get over it (as they say)!

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't say that 

It has been said that fuel duty does not necessarily go towards funding the roads .

Boats don't contribute  a huge sum in duty  especially due to the 60/40 split  and allowing for those who only, or mostly , pay the domestic rate.

Another sector that pays fuel duty is construction. Since April 2022 construction plant should have been using full duty white diesel.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Swinging from tree to tree with a newspaper under one's arm must be quite tricky. 

Have you lot not discovered bags/rucksacks that sort of thing?

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

Could be worse if it was the daily male.🤣

Wash your mouth out with carbolic soap

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

I didn't say that 

It has been said that fuel duty does not necessarily go towards funding the roads .

Boats don't contribute  a huge sum in duty  especially due to the 60/40 split  and allowing for those who only, or mostly , pay the domestic rate.

Another sector that pays fuel duty is construction. Since April 2022 construction plant should have been using full duty white diesel.

It's not just been said, it hasn't been true for many years. Like NIC, it all goes into the general taxation pot. What it gets spent on depends on fhe government you elect.