Widebeam Retirement

Ian Sullivan

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sorry, this is a very bad plan.

Not everyone is at the same stage of their life cycle as you are.

You may be a "Grade II Veteran" but are you qualified to give lifestyle advice to a 50 year old, who has proven by the fact he can retire 15 years early that he is quite capable of sorting out his life.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What politicians say today is irrelevant.

The OP has probably had a long time in a job with certain restrictions and needs a good break, to wind down mentally and to a lesser extent physically.

If he choses he could probably get a fairly well paid job with more flexibility, it's an ideal time as employers are really keen to get reliable staff. Many people don't realise that their skills and knowledge are in demand, it's a matter of finding the right job that fits in with one's lifestyle. 

The OP does not want a suitable (or unsuitable) job - he has worked himself into a position where he can do what he wants, and, he wants to retire,

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Maybe a bad plan for you but not the OP, not everyone is obsessed with home ownership at the cost of their lifestyle. One life, live it.

Theres a lot to think about in this thread but I tend to agree quite strongly with this post. I lived aboard well over 30 years and absolutely loved it. We only moved off and bought a boring house due to health reasons. I wouldnt live in a marina by choice but even that is nice if you find the best spot, on line moorings being vastly superior. One very basic fact is that we get one short life, planning every inch of it will end up in missing out. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Maybe a bad plan for you but not the OP, not everyone is obsessed with home ownership at the cost of their lifestyle. One life, live it.

I don't think he has any experience of boating on the inland waterways, there seems to be no reason to sell up, buy a boat and then decide if it is a good idea. He indicates he has sufficient cash available to purchase a good second hand boat. To me, buying a new widebeam is unwise, there are other options which don't seem to have been considered by OP.

I live on a boat, and I know it has both advantages and drawbacks. It suits some people, but not others.

I also fear for the future of the waterways, if the government dramatically cuts back on grant aid and boaters are asked to make up the difference, things are going to change, and not for the better.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed but as an owner of a 14 foot beam 'widebeam' (now off C&RTs waters) I saw what was coming when the licence fee went up "to a NB + 25%" and the mooring fees went up "to a NB + 30%".

Now C&RT actually state they are looking to be targeting CCers and Widebeams.

As you well know they have a habit of attacking the 'low hanging fruit',and the principal 'if you have a big, new boat' then you can afford to pay a lot more than an owner of an old narrowboat,

I'll show you my 'thinking'.

The previous 'big-review' had the CC 'licence' at 2.5 times the price of a boat with a home mooring.

So, put a NB with a home mooring licence up to £1500 and for a CCer implement the previously planned increase of 2.5x the price and you are not far away from £4000. Add the Widebeam supplement (even if it remains at 25%) and you are at the £5000.

20% supplement Alan

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Received wisdom is to invest in bricks and mortar which will give you a roof over your head, and should prove a good investment in the long term.

This thread makes a good read. Its interesting to note that some advice you were given was to keep a foot on the property ladder. In hindgsight, would you say that was a good advice or not, and did you follow it?

It' also telling that Mr smelly was suggesting to just go for it, but has since had to move into a house.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

A spent my last 4 years on the K&A.  It was becoming a total nightmare. The canal itself is in a terrible state with the obvious lock gate problems....but worse than that the locks themselves. 

About 75% of the locks from Newbury to Devizes have failed pointing on the brickwork and many have big chunks where the bricks have fallen out.  I can't imagine where they could begin to find the money to close and repair all of those?.  It's only a matter of time before a section actually falls across a boat...with the result that Elf and safety will inspect/ close and condemn the lot.

Also....the number of new boats,  particularly wide beams....means you are on constant tick over...and your chance of a mooring spot is very limited. I've had plenty of run ins with the owners of the largest wide beams...who put out deliberately long lines so you don't get anywhere near there glossy paintwork.

Maybe you would find that elusive residential spot on the K&A but I think it's the worst canal on the network for a new boater.I met many "newbies" there that longed for a house again.

Just a point Collingwood arnt great boats, on facebook people are always complaining of problems with them. Buy a secondhand boat yes they are expensive as well, and give it a whirl first, I have a 57 x 12 widebeam, I am on northern waters which are designed for big boats, moorings are available and not two arms and a leg! I retired at 57 best thing I did I have had a great time on my boats but sadly think CRT are going to shoot the golden goose and close the waterways down!! Not this year but the death of a thousand cuts has already started, they will turn boaters on each other and the well off ones cant see beyond the end of their nose thinking of schemes that will work. CRT will just put prices up for everybody its the easiest way

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Just a point Collingwood arnt great boats, on facebook people are always complaining of problems with them. Buy a secondhand boat yes they are expensive as well, and give it a whirl first, I have a 57 x 12 widebeam, I am on northern waters which are designed for big boats, moorings are available and not two arms and a leg! I retired at 57 best thing I did I have had a great time on my boats but sadly think CRT are going to shoot the golden goose and close the waterways down!! Not this year but the death of a thousand cuts has already started, they will turn boaters on each other and the well off ones cant see beyond the end of their nose thinking of schemes that will work. CRT will just put prices up for everybody its the easiest way

Some "well off boaters" are both concerned about the long-term future of the canals and think that less well off boaters should pay less (and well-off ones should pay more), which kind of holes your diatribe below the waterline... 😉

Edited by IanD

13 hours ago, Ian Sullivan said:

I have been doing some research (Youtube) and I think I am drawn towards the Collingwood boats. However, new builds are a bit pricey as I have approx £185k to spend. Can you recommend an alternative builder that could give me a similar standard for new build or would you recommend a used boat?

Why are you drawn to Collingwood boats? There quality is questionable and are usually seen as being at the lower end of the market. They are one of, if not the largest builder of canal boats so do have a more impressive website and sales pitch than most of their competitors.

Most alternative builders would give a better rather than similar standard (but many would charge more)

I would consider a narrow boat as it will give you more cruising and mooring options, and will be cheaper to license and moor.

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, Ian Sullivan said:

I am drawn towards continous cruising during the better months

If you really do plan to spend a significant part of your time actually cruising around and enjoying the canals, a widebeam will greatly limit your options -- especially because there's no sensible way to get between the northern and southern parts of the canal network other than craning the boat out and moving it by road. It will also exclude you from many of the more pleasant canals...

One bit of advice that is always given, and worth mentioning here, is to make sure you hire a boat for at least a week, preferably in the Autumn or winter so that you get a taste of the more gritty aspects of the lifestyle- winter mud, lugging bags of coal, the rain, etc.

There are some people who realise after a month or two on their boat that the compromises of living in a small space (or afloat) are not what they really want, so try a hire first.

Odds are you'll like it, but if you don't its an expensive mistake.

The other thing is an idea.

Would it be possible to get a used boat for say £50-80k, and use the rest to buy a flat somewhere for say £100k (perhaps up north?), and rent the flat (managed by a property agency) out so that you have both an income (or you can save the rent income), and you still have an asset that will keep its value etc? 

My worry is the amount of money you lose on brand new boats can be horrific in some cases. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Ian Sullivan said:

Thanks. I intend to visit as many boats as I can before I retire. This is just a starting point for me with lots of research to be undertaken 

I think you could hire a boat for maybe two or three weeks out of the main holiday season, especially one with heating! Give it a try, because I do worry that you have decided living on a boat is going to work out well, and you may not like it!

Thanks. I really have not made any decisions about anything yet. I am keen to hear as many opinions good and bad. It's all excellent food for thought. One way or another I will be selling my house. I have lived and worked in Scotland for the past 32 years and its time to head home! Which is why I was drawn towards the southern network.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

This thread makes a good read. Its interesting to note that some advice you were given was to keep a foot on the property ladder. In hindgsight, would you say that was a good advice or not, and did you follow it?

It' also telling that Mr smelly was suggesting to just go for it, but has since had to move into a house.

Problem is, most people are scared to " Give it a go " they then become those who forever wish they had the bottle. I moved off rather than end up possibly overnight having to move off and end up somewhere I didnt want to be. My problems mean one day I will need a hell of a lot of storage for stuff that simply wasnt available on any narrowboat. I also had a fantastic mooring but who knows when that would end???? If the OP keeps enough money back and keeps it he may be able to buy property again later, what we kept from the sale of our last house and the extra made on sale of our boat was enough to buy this house, not everybody though can mange that. 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Problem is, most people are scared to " Give it a go " they then become those who forever wish they had the bottle. I moved off rather than end up possibly overnight having to move off and end up somewhere I didnt want to be. My problems mean one day I will need a hell of a lot of storage for stuff that simply wasnt available on any narrowboat. I also had a fantastic mooring but who knows when that would end???? If the OP keeps enough money back and keeps it he may be able to buy property again later, what we kept from the sale of our last house and the extra made on sale of our boat was enough to buy this house, not everybody though can mange that. 

I think that was the point I was trying to make at the time, and I stand by that point now. 

It sounds like lady g took precautions to get back on the property ladder, presumably by investing the proceeds of her flat sale in something that isn't eroded by inflation that allows her to re enter the housing market. 

You clearly did the same. 

I just worry for those that aren't as prudent, or as able to do so and end up living on a dingy boat into their 80's when they are either not able or don't want to be in that position. 

Going boating does not mean buying a 100k plus boat. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2

I had a 61'8" x 11'5" barge on the southern waterway system for 10 years before I went back to a NB in 2012. Managed the whole of the connected system, and some disconnected bits, south of Blisworth Tunnel with one exception, the K&A! Got as far as Newbury before abandoning the trip, just not worth the agro. Bearing in mind this was 2010 things will only have got worse in the last 13 years.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Some "well off boaters" are both concerned about the long-term future of the canals and think that less well off boaters should pay less (and well-off ones should pay more), which kind of holes your diatribe below the waterline... 😉

But it wont happen as we have seen in the past! What will happen is they won't allow widebeam owners go to consultations and they will exactly as they want, applying rises across the board for everyone including those that cannot afford it! They have a long history of it

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

But it wont happen as we have seen in the past! What will happen is they won't allow widebeam owners go to consultations and they will exactly as they want, applying rises across the board for everyone including those that cannot afford it! They have a long history of it

I bet you £100 that you're wrong, and that CART introduce more widely graduated fees -- including further increases (probably area-rated) for widebeams like yours... 🙂

(because that'll almost certainly be the result of the consultation, as voted for by a majority of boaters)

And if I win I'll donate the money to CWDF 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I had a 61'8" x 11'5" barge on the southern waterway system for 10 years before I went back to a NB in 2012. Managed the whole of the connected system, and some disconnected bits, south of Blisworth Tunnel with one exception, the K&A! Got as far as Newbury before abandoning the trip, just not worth the agro. Bearing in mind this was 2010 things will only have got worse in the last 13 years.

Yes....I did the K&A at that point.

I went back to it as I had a marina mooring there...and was on it four years until recently.

It's a lot worse...in fact in terminal decline.

If you thought it bad in 2010 you should see it now !.

I did a run ... Newbury to Devizes with some newbies. At Devizes they all said they wished they'd never done it and wanted to sell . End if the dream. 

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

I bet you £100 that you're wrong, and that CART introduce more widely graduated fees -- including further increases (probably area-rated) for widebeams like yours... 🙂

(because that'll almost certainly be the result of the consultation, as voted for by a majority of boaters)

And if I win I'll donate the money to CWDF 🙂

I have a plan not to be on CRT waterways long before you are wrong and everybody is paying a lot for the pleasure 

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have a plan not to be on CRT waterways long before you are wrong and everybody is paying a lot for the pleasure 

So if you're so confident that what you stated was correct and not your usual anti-CART rant, accept the bet.

Loser donates £100 to CWDF... 🙂

34 minutes ago, IanD said:

So if you're so confident that what you stated was correct and not your usual anti-CART rant, accept the bet.

Loser donates £100 to CWDF... 🙂

Ian I am not interested, I think I have decided what to do and I will let you know when it comes to pass, but it doesnt involve staying on CRT waters to become a milkcow for them