Sorry - another Gold Licence query !!

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

I upgraded to a gold licence part way through this year. I know you can upgrade pro rota part way through a year for the first time only.

I'm currently on the Thames and might stay here until the spring.

My gold licence renewal is £1150 (or £1300 by DD).

A licence for the Thames is only about £600.

If I bought a Thames licence then upgraded to a gold licence in spring, then I think I'm right in saying that the gold licence will get back dated to the 1st Jan and I pay in full, but I get a refund of my EA Thames licence ?

So I'm still paying the full amount for my gold licence but just delaying it until the spring time ?

I know this seems like a bit of a phaff but it would help me out a bit as I've got a tax bill to pay end of Jan, Xmas, + winter fuel bills,etc,etc !! Springtime would be a far better time for me to pay for this.

Have I misunderstood anything ?!

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

If I've understood correctly that's how it works for CRT licenses. I upgraded in April got refund on remaining CRT license but paid full for Gold

..and if you cant escape Yarkshire, is there a refund or are you just supposed to pay in full for repeated cruises to winding holes.. 

Gold licences are fiendishly complicated. I would ask CRT and see what they say. I was surprised to be able to downgrade our gold license (expiring 31/12/22) to a standard CRT license at the end of November and get a refund of the one month gold element (about £21). 

Gold licences run on the calender year only,

So the best plan is to buy a gold licence at the beginning of the year you intend to incorporate Thames or East Anglian fens cruising and claim the refund from any  unexpired period on the Cart licence. This then resets your CART or Gold licence year 1st of Jan to 31 Dec for the rest of your ownership. 

So prior to year end you only need to decide whether you will venture onto EA waters that year, and pay for gold, or just cruise on CART waters and save some money. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

..and if you cant escape Yarkshire, is there a refund or are you just supposed to pay in full for repeated cruises to winding holes.. 

Ha ha! I have an escape plan for 2023. Gold license paid for, Wash crossing pilot booked. River Nene here we come. Different place to get stuck!

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

Ha ha! I have an escape plan for 2023. Gold license paid for, Wash crossing pilot booked. River Nene here we come. Different place to get stuck!

51 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's what happened last time we met you, we had the Wash booked, and half way down the Nene someone broke a lock....🙂

Or come to the Great Ouse rather than Nene and we can have a forum party.

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

God that means no boating next year as the system will break once you arrive :(

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't you mean if? He still needs to escape from Darkest Yorkshire!

One can but hope ;)

We didn't make it anywhere this year due to ancient relatives, all our hopes are pinned on 2023 .

21 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's what happened last time we met you, we had the Wash booked, and half way down the Nene someone broke a lock....🙂

Errm!

20 hours ago, pearley said:

Or come to the Great Ouse rather than Nene and we can have a forum party.

Done that was great but not enough time to do Nene and the Thames

15 hours ago, Loddon said:

God that means no boating next year as the system will break once you arrive :(

It breaks in Yorkshire no matter where we go. And on the Nene and a bit on the Severn 

Edited by Midnight