Antifreeze, again...

MtB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

It shouldn't go down if filled to the CORRECT level unless you have a leak

We are talking about four months since I put any in. Ideally I would remove a litre but I don't have any way of doing this at the moment.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

We are talking about four months since I put any in. Ideally I would remove a litre but I don't have any way of doing this at the moment.

I would try with a length of soft clear plastic hose about 6mm bore and use it to establish a siphon into (say) a milk carton. Being clear hose you should be able to suck liquid into the hose without getting any in your mouth.

• Happy 1

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.881980ba69b9ed5645d0d0d03874b8a0.png

Yep, I thought about a turkey baster,  but not available today. Anyway I've added 700ml so far and not yet up to the mark on my gauge, aka wooden stick .

I've not been topping up the level for months, to leave room for antifreeze/coolant as it does lose a bit over time.

I thought I'd have to drain the lot as I'm not absolutely sure what was previously used. , then I discovered this universal, thanks to forum, again!

I've added 700ml and I reckon it will take another 300 tomorrow.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

If you add neat antifreeze it doesn't mix with the contents 🥱

It's the ready-mix, I think it will be ok, I've run the engine for thirty minutes, hopefully this will set up some sort of thermal circulation. I should be able to tell, it's a  fairly luminous yellow., 

46 minutes ago, Loddon said:

If you add neat antifreeze it doesn't mix with the contents 🥱

In an engine with a calorifier given some time running it will. In fact even without a calorifier the bypass post for the water pump should also ensure it eventually gets mixed. It is central heating systems that must have the antifreeze premixed.

• Happy 1