Antifreeze, again...

MtB

Featured Posts

I called into a motor factor a few days ago to get some antifreeze and to my surprise, they had a new type of antifreeze on sale which claims to be totally universal. 

No more stressing about what antifreeze is in the engine now, blue, pink, OAT, or whatever, just bung this stuff in and it will be totally compatible. Apparently. Yippee. 

https://prestone.com/product/prestone-all-vehicles-antifreezecoolant-ready-to-use/

The guys who were servicing my boat (£500), told me about about this and told me they would top my engine with this, that was about four months ago, but they forgot to do it, what's new :(

So I need some, I'm near Screwfix, what is it called? Do I dilute it, I guess I need a litre of fluid, but concentrated.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, MtB said:

I called into a motor factor a few days ago to get some antifreeze and to my surprise, they had a new type of antifreeze on sale which claims to be totally universal. 

No more stressing about what antifreeze is in the engine now, blue, pink, OAT, or whatever, just bung this stuff in and it will be totally compatible. Apparently. Yippee. 

https://prestone.com/product/prestone-all-vehicles-antifreezecoolant-ready-to-use/

I can see that they claim compatibility with "all engines" following a full flush and refill with their product.

But just to clarify your post is there a link to any mention of it being compatible with other types of antifreeze?  

Edited by Eeyore

16 minutes ago, pearley said:

Seems to be available to Screwfix and Toolstation to.

What a surprise.

2 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

I can see that they claim compatibility with "all engines" following a full flush and refill with their product.

But just to clarify your post is there a link to any mention of it being compatible with other types of antifreeze?  

Anything wil be "compatible" if the engine cooling system is drained, flushed, and replaced 

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What a surprise.

Anything wil be "compatible" if the engine cooling system is drained, flushed, and replaced 

Not strictly true as some products are material/manufacturer specific, but I take your point.

24 minutes ago, pearley said:

Seems to be available to Screwfix and Toolstation to.

I guess it depends how much you need.

But Screwfix seem to e only selling in a 1 litre size, and as far as I can see it is "ready to use", which seems to mean it comes already diluted 50%/50% with water.

Is so that's £7 for just (effectively) half a litre.  I don't think I'll be using it in my cetral heating system!

I wonder how it copes with copper/iron/alloy etc....as I understand it one of the issues with OAT type antifreeze is that no one has said it's OK for older engines which often have a mixture of these metals...theres certainly some reservations in the classic vehicle movement for its use on older machines...Id love to use a longer life antifreeze in my boat as Ive got a rather large skin tank I need 83 litres of mixed coolant so the cost saving not to mention time saving would be great...however the cost of a component failure wouldn't be cheap either....and no manufacturer of antifreeze seems to want to put in writing that their long life product is suitable for a vintage engine.

What is OAT?

What do I have?

Where do I buy neat stuff?

50 50 seems very strong for a boat,

I have no idea what the volume is in my boat .

I know I was adding a lot of water in summer, so I expect it's dilute 

I think I can add a litre 

Please do not make suggestions unless you have a scientific understanding, ie no hunches. I will read the instructions.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What is OAT.

What do I have.

Where do I buy neat stuff?

I have no idea what the volume is in my boat .

I know I was adding a lot of water in summer, so I expect it's dilute 

I think I can add a litre 

If you buy ''neat stuff'' don't mix it with tap water especially if it's hard water. Buy distilled water or use rain water which is distilled and just filter it through a cloth first. Or thawed ice from a fridge.

• Happy 1

I don't think Prestone antifreeze is  particularly new. I haven't used it but no doubt it is okay . I believe Prestone can be used for top up with any antifreeze type. 

I expect the Prestone at Toolstation etc is the ready to use (readmixed) type.

I decided to use concentrated Ethylene Glycol antifreeze  (not Prestone) for a very recent coolant change (following flushing with water ).

I had used ready mix previously for a coolant change   which was short lived and this was probably because of dilution due to liquid that is retained in the system.

By using concentrate I made allowance for retained flushing water by making it a 60%coolant to 40% water mix (or thereabouts). 

image.png.d9bddc885fe10eeee570e041e2be3a53.png

So, to summarise, Universal is not "universal" or compatible.

For most engines, and heating systems it is best to drain and flush completely before refilling with a diluted antifreeze, provided it is not excluded by the engine manufacturer, and it is good stuff!

If you don't know what you have already, the above knowledge won't help if you need to top up.

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

For most engines, and heating systems it is best to drain and flush completely before refilling with a diluted antifreeze, provided it is not excluded by the engine manufacturer, and it is good stuff!

If you don't know what you have already, the above knowledge won't help if you need to top up.

Wow, 4 hours and now you are an antifreeze guru too.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2
  • Unimpressed 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I thought 50/50 normal for the UK?

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Demon Cool claims to be universal . 

image.png.e3e10ea041ee850ee96a5b7fffb970d0.png

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

I don't think Prestone antifreeze is  particularly new. I haven't used it but no doubt it is okay . I believe Prestone can be used for top up with any antifreeze type. 

I expect the Prestone at Toolstation etc is the ready to use (readmixed) type.

I decided to use concentrated Ethylene Glycol antifreeze  (not Prestone) for a very recent coolant change (following flushing with water ).

I had used ready mix previously for a coolant change   which was short lived and this was probably because of dilution due to liquid that is retained in the system.

By using concentrate I made allowance for retained flushing water by making it a 60%coolant to 40% water mix (or thereabouts). 

Remind me, is ethylene glycol the old blue stuff?

Just now, frangar said:

Its most commonly blue...but best to check the packaging as manufacturers dont always stick to a colour code

Ta. The last lot I had was Holt’s blue concentrated, but it appears that Holt’s and Prestone are now part of the same family.

incidentally, that Prestone link does claim compatibility with “all fluid colours”, and “all engines, new and old”, and suitability for a complete flush or for topping up (i.e. mixing fluids).

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Remind me, is ethylene glycol the old blue stuff?

The smith and alan product I used is blue and pictured above  is old  school ethylene glycol.

Be aware there is no common ground regarding colour as its just a dye.

• Greenie 1