Calorifier size and placement

TandC

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If the builder is fitting the cauliflower, rather than you, if they put it in before the engine, watch out that replacing the calorifier isn't going to require the engine to be removed first!

Exactly! That was the other consideration - is it going to be possible to remove it if and when it goes belly up! 

13 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Oh wow. Apologies for my flippant comment.

No worries..... i am just very grateful for everyone's advice as am a little overwhelmed with refitting the old one, while also having to make progress on the plans for the new...  while blocking out the voices in my head that say "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" 

• Greenie 1

On 13/10/2022 at 10:49, TandC said:

No worries..... i am just very grateful for everyone's advice as am a little overwhelmed with refitting the old one, while also having to make progress on the plans for the new...  while blocking out the voices in my head that say "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" 

One other thing which I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned because it seems so obvious to anyone who's been on boats for a while ..

If you're installing the calorifier in the engine space, make sure that any pipes going through the bulkhead separating the engine space from the cabin, penetrate the bulkhead at least 18" height from the baseplate. A bloke I know who is an electrician and builder but new to boats, put his pipes through at baseplate height without realising he had compromised the watertight integrity of his boat. He ended up re-routing the pipes and welding a plate over the hole after I mentioned it to him. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Why does it matter how far away it is from the cold water tank? 

Not as much as it does for the distance to the hot water pipes, but its still more pipe in the engine bay which is vulnerable to freezing.

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

One other thing which I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned because it seems so obvious to anyone who's been on boats for a while ..

If you're installing the calorifier in the engine space, make sure that any pipes going through the bulkhead separating the engine space from the cabin, penetrate the bulkhead at least 18" height from the baseplate. A bloke I know who is an electrician and builder but new to boats, put his pipes through at baseplate height without realising he had compromised the watertight integrity of his boat. He ended up re-routing the pipes and welding a plate over the hole after I mentioned it to him. 

If you use proper bulkhead fittings where the pipe passes through you won't compromise the boat's watertight integrity.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you really need 100 lts  its a long shower

Indeed - the current 55lt one on the boat we are using runs out pretty quick with two people having a shower and doing some washing up - that seems a bit miserable, seeing as we are used to having "unlimited" hot water on the old boat which had a Morco (which of course was absolutely fine with having spent 48hrs under water once it was washed out). 

It may be that 100 is overkill... I think why this thread and everyone's contributions have been so helpful is that I am now reasonably confident I can get a decent size (to be determined) c/fier in the engine bay, where it will be close to engine and to hot water demands, yet not taking up space.  If it can go in vertical, against the bulkhead that sounds ideal - but I now need to check what room I have once there is an engine, sound enclosure, and the limitations of the deck hatch.  None of those sizes/design details are known yet .

All great assistance thanks

11 hours ago, TandC said:

Indeed - the current 55lt one on the boat we are using runs out pretty quick with two people having a shower and doing some washing up - that seems a bit miserable, seeing as we are used to having "unlimited" hot water on the old boat which had a Morco (which of course was absolutely fine with having spent 48hrs under water once it was washed out). 

But if you are on shore supply with an immersion heater, it will soon recover, unless you both run out of the shower and do the washing