Maximum size less than lock size - locations

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Athy said:

A Severner belonging to a CWDF member, 71 feet long (the boat, not the member) got round Briggate bend in Whittlesey a few years ago. Marmont Priory and (I think) Ashline locks were formerly 49 feet long (which is why the longest Fox's hire boats used to be 48-footers) but, as noted above, have been extended. On EA waters there's still a 40-foot one at the end of the Little Ouse. But these are locks, so they don't count.

Fulbourne at 71ft 6ins has been round Whittlesey Bend a few times.

• Greenie 1

On 26/08/2022 at 08:43, Ewan123 said:

Fair point 😅 I wonder whether there are any/many where something else is the limit on air draught?

Yes boat profile.
Thinking of Box Boats, (Not applicable in the following but for some reason a large number of new build Broad & Wide Beam Boats have vertical cabins, and then wonder why they tree surf.) the most obvious one not mentioned is Stanage Tunnel (going west to east at least) Froghall is 6'-8"headroom, not a problem for most boats, but roof needs to be no more than 5'-0" wide. This allows for a slight kink which affects boats over say 35ft.

Bunkers Hill (below) tunnel is circular. Should be a few others I can't think of right now?IMG_2682.JPG.9c292ceed4edd0171f30ce9e3abc39f6.JPG

Edited by oboat

Thanks for all the answers - interesting reading. I have since discovered that the new Hawford Bridge on the Droitwich Barge Canal (A449 crossing) restricts length of widebeams according to CRT figures. 

There are some odd ones, I know the Bridgwater and Taunton Well and I can't think of a bridge that is more restrictive than the locks - that said it is totally unsuited to boats much wider than narrow boats so I'm not going to argue! 

On 27/08/2022 at 09:03, oboat said:

Yes boat profile.
Thinking of Box Boats, (Not applicable in the following but for some reason a large number of new build Broad & Wide Beam Boats have vertical cabins, and then wonder why they tree surf.) the most obvious one not mentioned is Stanage Tunnel (going west to east at least) Froghall is 6'-8"headroom, not a problem for most boats, but roof needs to be no more than 5'-0" wide. This allows for a slight kink which affects boats over say 35ft.

Bunkers Hill (below) tunnel is circular. Should be a few others I can't think of right now?IMG_2682.JPG.9c292ceed4edd0171f30ce9e3abc39f6.JPG

That's a bit tight! :o Which navigation is that on? 

6 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I have since discovered that the new Hawford Bridge on the Droitwich Barge Canal (A449 crossing) restricts length of widebeams according to CRT figures. 

There is also one of the railway bridges that has been rebuilt with a corrugated tin lining, where the towpath means wide beams can't get through to the basin in Droitwich as they were historically able to.

72_k5s.jpg.ef579614d653bae0eb884521211bdc40.jpg

https://canalplan.org.uk/wiki/photolicence

11 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

That's a bit tight! :o Which navigation is that on? 

Witham Navigable Drains.

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/2t5h

On 27/08/2022 at 09:03, oboat said:

Yes boat profile.

Bunkers Hill (below) tunnel is circular. Should be a few others I can't think of right now?

To a large extent the Dudley tunnel has the same issue. The absolute air draft is low, but it's the profile which presents the main challenge. You need either very steep tumblehome, a narrow roof or to be low enough in air draft to fit the corners of the cabin within the profile.

Alec

By definition, boat length/beam on any lock-free canal will be limited by the angle you can take through bridges, of course. So the 'Ampton Boats of roughly 85ft x 8ft 6in were the biggest practical length on the Wyrley & Essington and the Wolverhampton Level, even though both canals are lock-free. I guess there must be a similar de facto length restriction on the Bridgewater (and the Ashby, discounting the former Marston stop-lock and the isolated Moira Lock).

Similarly, there was the Mon & Brec's turn under the Heads of the Valleys road until that got opened up, but I suspect you know more about that than me @magpie patrick!

Edited by Richard Fairhurst