Water level on Stratford canal?

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

In about 10 days we need to move our boat back to Kinver from Napton.  I would welcome any advice on water levels,  in particular as we have a deep draft (3 feet).

We would normally use the northern route via the Coventry, but that looks difficult. So we would like to do the GU, Stratford (southern section), Avon, Severn, S&W route. Alternatively GU, Stratford (Northern section), BCN, Stourbridge, S&W.  We are not in any hurry. We do not want to use the Worcs and Birmingham route to Worcester (to avoid Tardebigge)

I believe GU, BCN, Stourbridge and S&W should be OK for water, so really I would like any info on the Stratford water levels?

Many thanks

We're currently on the Stratford just below Preston Bagot. We turned off the GU yesterday.

Water levels are all good, best we've seen in a few weeks. No problem. We're pretty much doing the same route as you over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Went down Stratford from brum to Stratford. Levels all good. Now on way back up to Lapworth & ok on main pounds. Some of wilmcote is a little low..may have to let a lock out before drawing next one etc. Stratford was quiet over the Fri/sat but judging from amount of boats we’ve met going south is now probably full! 

We're on the GU at Lapworth and they ran a massive amount of water down yesterday, with the level rising by around 5" - i'd guess that plenty has been run down the southern Stratford too.

All a bit worrying as Olton mere is extremely low at present. 

The level at Wotton Wawen was pretty much as usual today. 

7 hours ago, BWM said:

We're on the GU at Lapworth and they ran a massive amount of water down yesterday, with the level rising by around 5" - i'd guess that plenty has been run down the southern Stratford too.

All a bit worrying as Olton mere is extremely low at present. 

Isn’t the Stratford supplied by Earlswood and Bittell/ Cofton plus the BCN reservoir’s too?

Here was the aquaduct at Wotton Wawen today perhaps an inch or two down, fine really. 4A87764C-FF1D-497D-B340-6204C61F35E2.jpeg.92a4e1dec97ef0d65e26ab13d966ab51.jpeg

On 13/08/2022 at 08:30, jonesthenuke said:

So we would like to do the GU, Stratford (southern section), Avon, Severn, S&W route. Alternatively GU, Stratford (Northern section), BCN, Stourbridge, S&W.  We are not in any hurry. We do not want to use the Worcs and Birmingham route to Worcester (to avoid Tardebigge)

Be aware that you need to be through Bevere Lock by 26 September.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23074-river-severn-navigation-lock-7-bevere-lock

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Be aware that you need to be through Bevere Lock by 26 September.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23074-river-severn-navigation-lock-7-bevere-lock

Thanks I have been alerted to that. Hopefully it will last out until mid Sept. The alternative is around via the Droitwich but that may be low in the river section?

Droitwich was ok yesterday - drove past on the way to get shopping before our trip and made a point of looking at the levels.

We'll be on the north Stratford tomorrow heading round the Warwickshire ring, looking at the forecast there's going to be a good dumping of rain Weds / Thurs so fingers crossed we won't be stuck on the Coventry in a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Droitwich was ok yesterday - drove past on the way to get shopping before our trip and made a point of looking at the levels.

We'll be on the north Stratford tomorrow heading round the Warwickshire ring, looking at the forecast there's going to be a good dumping of rain Weds / Thurs so fingers crossed we won't be stuck on the Coventry in a couple of weeks.

I hope it is greater than the thunderstorms we had forecast for today.  No noise, and no heavy rain, occasional drizzle on and off all day.

20 hours ago, Jerra said:

I hope it is greater than the thunderstorms we had forecast for today.  No noise, and no heavy rain, occasional drizzle on and off all day.

Sat in the Blue Bell at Waring's Green and it's been absolutely hammering down for the last half hour. Had to have another pint to wait for it to stop rather than walk back.

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

By-washes running strong on the South Stratford

North Stratford was several inches down on usual, but easily passable. We hit bottom quite a few times, but nothing too sticky. That said we have picked up more industrial plastic crap on the prop today than ever before, and that includes our many trips through Brum. Maybe it was all lurking on the bottom a few inches out of normal reach.

Still persistently peeing down here. Hope I remembered to shut the Houdini hatch.

On 13/08/2022 at 14:30, jonesthenuke said:

I believe GU, BCN, Stourbridge and S&W should be OK for water, so really I would like any info on the Stratford water levels?

I met a chap with a working boat (Crane) who'd found the stretch from Kidderminster top to Wolverley Court on the S&W a struggle with a similar draft to yours. He'd called in some friends on another boat to help tow him over the bottom.

Water levels are fine - the bypass weirs were flowing at the time - just in need of dredging.

Edited by Francis Herne