Winter try out

Laverbird

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

I'm wondering if it is ever possible that people may want to rent their boat out or accept a guardian in the winter months ?  Buying and living aboard is something I want to do very much but I am also keen to test the waters ( ho ho ) and my nerve.  Prefer the idea of CCing than spending rent on a mooring...Have had a recent epiphany and decided on taking a career break so now is the time to grab the bull by the horns ( I just don't have loads of money! who does.. )

Have read lots of posts on this forum and seen a lot of youtube vids etc..  so really just after any tips with this specific query, thanks :)

There are insurance implications, not to mention letting someone loose on one's pride and joy.

Best try the hire companies, though I don't think they would have solid fuel stoves, and its going to be cold.

In the end you ll just have to bite the bullet and buy one. Cc in winter is harder than in summer, but perhaps you could get a long term hire, search function on top rhs.....

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, Laverbird said:

I'm wondering if it is ever possible that people may want to rent their boat out

If anyone offers to rent out their private boat, be very, very careful as it it not allowed (without a commercial licence, a higher standard safety certificate etc etc_ and any insurance invalidated - there have been examples of the 'renter' losing everything (their whole life possessions) when the boat sank.

Even Air BnB requires a special 'hire boat licence'.

Getting afloat | Renting a boat to live on | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

CRT Hire Boat Licence Requirements.pdf

It is something I'm interested in for sure, and not just in winter which is one of my favourite times to cruise. Friends have borrowed my boat when I have been on holiday for example and my insurance said they would still cover the boat in this case. But AFAIK as per the terms of most people's cart continuous cruiser licence one isn't allowed to rent it out for money. Hire licences might be available, someone might be along shortly to say whether or not this is the case.

6 minutes ago, jupiter1124 said:

It is something I'm interested in for sure, and not just in winter which is one of my favourite times to cruise. Friends have borrowed my boat when I have been on holiday for example and my insurance said they would still cover the boat in this case. But AFAIK as per the terms of most people's cart continuous cruiser licence one isn't allowed to rent it out for money. Hire licences might be available, someone might be along shortly to say whether or not this is the case.

Renting it out for financial gain is the sticking point, I don't think cc comes in to it, I may be wrong, the term continuos cruiser is just an adopted term which means the boat has no home mooring. It still has a licence. 

I believe hire boats have different BSC standards. 

Guardian of a boat, to me, it's a non starter, little or no benefit to the owner, but all the risk.

Edited by LadyG

Sure, I think where CC comes into it is that liveaboard CCers are the most likely group of boaters who have something to gain from lending out a boat for free (namely a boatsitter). Those with a home mooring probably would rather leave their boat on their mooring than entrust it to a stranger.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone!  Your advice is really welcome!  I've read so much about the costs and pitfalls of boat ownership and living and it seems like it'll be a lifetime of daily hard and costly lessons but then I know even less about house ownership and have far less chance of be able to buy one... that, and I just don't really want to own a house!

6 minutes ago, jupiter1124 said:

Sure, I think where CC comes into it is that liveaboard CCers are the most likely group of boaters who have something to gain from lending out a boat for free

Surely that is a nonsense.

If the boaters are liveaboards where are they going to live when they hire their boat out ?

If you have a house that you use in the Winter then you are not a liveaboard.

39 minutes ago, Laverbird said:

Hi all, 

I'm wondering if it is ever possible that people may want to rent their boat out or accept a guardian in the winter months ?  Buying and living aboard is something I want to do very much but I am also keen to test the waters ( ho ho ) and my nerve.  Prefer the idea of CCing than spending rent on a mooring...Have had a recent epiphany and decided on taking a career break so now is the time to grab the bull by the horns ( I just don't have loads of money! who does.. )

Have read lots of posts on this forum and seen a lot of youtube vids etc..  so really just after any tips with this specific query, thanks :)

Hire a boat for the winter complete with solid fuel stoves from "Escape The Rat Race". It's what they do. E.G. this boat:

https://www.etrr.co.uk/boat/18

Edited by MtB
Bloody spell checker interfering

22 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Is she going to be able to afford to pay the rent long term? 

ETTR is £1000 upwards per month, minimum 3 months hire,

The 'longterm hireboat company are :

• One month: starting between November & February £1400 rising to £3900 in July/August

• Two months: starting between November and January £1300pcm rising to a peak of £3750pcm in July/August

• Three months: taken in the period November/December/January/February at £1250pcm, rising to £3250pcm in June/July/August

• Nine months + : a flat rate of £1750 per month.

Which are considerably lower than the normal 'short term hire' companies with ABC Boat Hire (for example) being £2600 for 2 weeks in November

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

• One month: starting between November & February £1400 rising to £3900 in July/August

• Two months: starting between November and January £1300pcm rising to a peak of £3750pcm in July/August

• Three months: taken in the period November/December/January/February at £1250pcm, rising to £3250pcm in June/July/August

Which are considerably lower than the normal 'short term hire' companies with ABC Boat Hire (for example) being £2600 for 2 weeks in November

As I say if I was daft enough to lend a total stranger my boat. I would want a large refundable deposit(for any major repairs/damage) payment in advance, guarantee’s from a dependent source and fully verified references. To make sure no-one is going to have a free three month holiday and disappear leaving my boat in the middle of nowhere. As she says she has little money and wants a career break. Not the best thing to inspire confidence, when asking to hire a boat long term and being a total stranger.

Edited by PD1964

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting, thanks for posting this.  Wouldn't want to spend my savings on a short term rent but they're obviously covered by appropriate insurance - probably anticipating things going wrong!

To the man who is ever so bothered about my income/career break - please firstly may I direct you to the OP and the request to leave it at that. Why you are obsessing about my financial affairs?  Absolutely none of your business.  Secondly, career break doesn't normally mean 'never working again', it means getting out of a long term situation.  Let's call it a divorce if that analogy makes it easier to for you to comprehend without resorting to casting aspersions and judgments on a person who is, in good faith, simply asking for advice and looking at all available options.  Have a nice day!

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Laverbird said:

Interesting, thanks for posting this.  Wouldn't want to spend my savings on a short term rent but they're obviously covered by appropriate insurance - probably anticipating things going wrong!

To the man who is ever so bothered about my income/career break - please firstly may I direct you to the OP and the request to leave it at that. Why you are obsessing about my financial affairs?  Absolutely none of your business.  Secondly, career break doesn't normally mean 'never working again', it means getting out of a long term situation.  Let's call it a divorce if that analogy makes it easier to for you to comprehend without resorting to casting aspersions and judgments on a person who is, in good faith, simply asking for advice and looking at all available options.  Have a nice day!

I’m not bothered about your income, but you said you had little money, obviously your expecting someone to give you a boat for little money or for free for a few month. As you say your not going to spend your saving on a short term rent.

Can I ask your age and location?

“To the man” by using that phrase I’ve just made an aspersion, judgement call it what you like to the type of woman you are😂

Edited by PD1964

11 hours ago, Laverbird said:

I'm wondering if it is ever possible that people may want to rent their boat out or accept a guardian in the winter months

May I point out that if you take the above quote it seems that you are asking forum members if any were willing to either hire or lend you their boat. Such a boat, in the vast  majority of cases, will not be inspected, insured, or licensed for such activities if the owner gets a monetary advantage from such a deal. That is the first and main problem from what you have posted.

Take that and add the phrase:

11 hours ago, Laverbird said:

Have had a recent epiphany and decided on taking a career break so now is the time to grab the bull by the horns ( I just don't have loads of money! who does.. )

So is it unreasonable to conclude that you are very likely not to have a regular  wage and also seem to want a cheap deal? Anyone legitimately hiring boats long term would look at that and become have a concern that you may abandon the boat at lords knows where, and simply walk away, leaving them to pick up the pieces. I think the post  warning our less experienced members hiring to you (based on what you have revealed) may be a very risky decision is valid. Furthermore, as you admit you don't have loads of money, it is valid to warn you that a legitimate company will probably demand the full hire fee in advance. They are also likely to charge a damage deposit that will further add to your initial outlay that may end up being several thousand pounds.

To suddenly seem to take offence at advice based on what you published seems somewhat immature to me. Of course no one knows your financial position but based on what you said it may well not be very good. Advice was given accordingly.

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Can I ask your age and location?

My money is on Greater London and of the begging on social media generation. Still it never hurts to ask, but probably not such a good idea to get miffed at genuine replies.

• Greenie 1

Gosh, internet, let's reiterate and clarify: 

"I'm wondering if it is ever possible that people' : (boating) 'people' in general; I absolutely was not asking whether people on this forum would be willing to do that with their boats.

I was simply asking if it was a thing. Out of curiosity. To explore an option.

I wasn't inviting opinions  or advice on what some posters take for my age, location, work ethic, ability, bank balance.  And I did explicitly state that in my original post.  Of course some people either didn't read the OP properly or did and ploughed on regardless. Some folk just can't help themselves 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Laverbird said:

Well yes its a thing. people rent out narrowboats informally and 'under the radar' all the time. Usually to people they already know and trust. But strictly speaking, it breaches the regulations on insurance, boat safety certification and probably one or two other things.

If you want to do it fully legitimately and legally, there is a company already set up catering for your exact request. I've already given you the link earlier in the thread.

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with it. Too judgemental originally.

1 hour ago, Laverbird said:

"I'm wondering if it is ever possible that people' : (boating) 'people' in general; I absolutely was not asking whether people on this forum would be willing to do that with their boats.

I wasn't inviting opinions  or advice on what some posters take for my age, location, work ethic, ability, bank balance.  And I did explicitly state that in my original post.  Of course some people either didn't read the OP properly or did and ploughed on regardless. Some folk just can't help themselves 🤷‍♂️

Well the simple answer to your question is, very rarely if at all and if they did, then it is usually to family members or friends and not to total strangers. So there’s your answer.

I asked your age and location as there are groups on Facebook that you may be better off asking.

If your after a freebie you could try this guy:

Edited by PD1964

7 hours ago, Laverbird said:

If you read widely on this forum, or any, really, you'll know that what we do to try and find answers to questions is to extrapolate from the little info we're given in order to find a better, less general answer.

So things like income, work, family, geographical place, etc are more relevant than you may think. If you want to stay around a particular urban area, for example , costs vary hugely.

But as a generalisation, if someone is willing to rent you a boat privately (and almost certainly illegally), you will have no security of tenure or insurance cover, nor will the boat, which means if you have an accident or the boat sinks, your personal liability could be major. Obviously, they don't often sink... ,but engine repairs can cost thousands too.

I'd say just hire one for a couple of weeks. That's long enough to discover whether you get claustrophobic and whether you'd have space for stuff you may want or need. Many of us moved on unexpectedly and found we loved it. I moved off after a couple of years because I can't store ten thousand books, thirty musical instuments and a recording studio on it.

And finally, as can be seen this year, the canal system is falling apart and there's no money to fix it, nor will there be again. It's not a long term solution. I have a friend, now in his 80s, who has lived on a boat for fifty years, cruising for most of it. You won't get that happening again.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

Weren’t there someone who used to post on here who ‘boat sat” ?

He was Dutch I think. 

And I think he sat for one or two people, not for payment but for a holiday and to chill out a bit. 

You would really need to become friends with boaters in your area and build up trust. 

But perhaps simply advertise to boat sit?

And see where it leads. 

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If you read widely on this forum, or any, really, you'll know that what we do to try and find answers to questions is to extrapolate from the little info we're given in order to find a better, less general answer.

So things like income, work, family, geographical place, etc are more relevant than you may think. If you want to stay around a particular urban area, for example , costs vary hugely.

But as a generalisation, if someone is willing to rent you a boat privately (and almost certainly illegally), you will have no security of tenure or insurance cover, nor will the boat, which means if you have an accident or the boat sinks, your personal liability could be major. Obviously, they don't often sink... ,but engine repairs can cost thousands too.

I'd say just hire one for a couple of weeks. That's long enough to discover whether you get claustrophobic and whether you'd have space for stuff you may want or need. Many of us moved on unexpectedly and found we loved it. I moved off after a couple of years because I can't store ten thousand books, thirty musical instuments and a recording studio on it.

And finally, as can be seen this year, the canal system is falling apart and there's no money to fix it, nor will there be again. It's not a long term solution. I have a friend, now in his 80s, who has lived on a boat for fifty years, cruising for most of it. You won't get that happening again.

This was one Londoner's horror as houseboat sinks with all of her possessions on board | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

There was another where someone was after crowd funding to lift it

It does happen

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This was one Londoner's horror as houseboat sinks with all of her possessions on board | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

There was another where someone was after crowd funding to lift it

It does happen

Not only that but I'd suggest it is WAY more likely to happen on an informally hired boat, as neither the hirer nor the hiree fully appreciates the risks. Idf they did, they would not do it.