Singlehanded. Asked to do swing bridges, not in a nice way.

LadyG

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, MrsM said:

How do you manage in wide locks on your own? You mugate, then st need to secure your boat then. Cc'ing sounds like quite hard work for you at the mo - not helped when people are being grumpy of course.

The wide locks with powered gates on commercial canals are OK because everything works predictably. So I can put the boat in position and it will stay there.

On wide locks with manual paddles of unpredictable  characteristics, it worked untill the day when my boat shot back at a rate of knots and jammed n the gate. That was not a good outcome.

It's much safer to double up.

I cc, so it makes no difference if I have to wait for a while for someone to come along.

This is the first time in three years I have had anyone actually complain.

Edited by LadyG
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok

gonna chuck a wild one in here:

why are people taking up canal boating in their old age?

surely they will struggle. 

When I was twelve I used to ride circus ponies, I struggled with that by the age of seventeen.

From seventeen to twenty five I raced yachts, but that got a bit scary.

From twenty five to fifty I rode racehorses, but my contemporaries were age nineteen, so I retired to from that.

I officially became an OAP sixty five and sat in a retirement flat for a few years then bought a boat.

what do you think I should have done!

Have you another plan? 

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Have you another plan? 

Yes! With your history I think you should write a best-selling autobiography (I'd read it) and then sell the rights to Spielberg; then write an award winning screenplay for the film (I'd watch it). Hearing about the lives of many of the good folk like you on here makes me realise how little life I have lived.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

When I was twelve I used to ride circus ponies, I struggled with that by the age of seventeen.

From seventeen to twenty five I raced yachts, but that got a bit scary.

From twenty five to fifty I rode racehorses, but my contemporaries were age nineteen, so I retired to from that.

I officially became an OAP sixty five and sat in a retirement flat for a few years then bought a boat.

Have you another plan? 

Wasn’t aimed entirely at you. 

But was a bit. 

You’re obviously a tad eccentric. I like that. 😃

I don’t know the answer though. I think when my time comes I’ll play chess and gently sip whisky. 

I do think you’re on one of the toughest canals though. Why not move southish and make life much much easier. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Single handing is made difficult by all the politeness which goes with meeting people. 
I find it helps when sharing a flight to establish who’s doing what from the start.  For instance I’m very happy to leave the lock last and close the gates while the crew on the other boat sets the next lock. 
If im with someone who knows what th,ey are doing only one gate needs opening and shutting anyway. 
And I’ll happily work the paddles. 

I have over time come to accept help more readily and not worry about it. People do genuinely want to help. 

But yes, you got show willing and do something to help in return. 
Just stepping off and pulling the gate shut behind is simple enough. Something I notice a steerer with crew doesn’t often do. 

These locks only have access on one side.

If I have to go back to close the lock I am using the lock landing therefore the other boat can't get his crew on board.

I must be totally thick, does anyone actually singlehand but not "take advantge of" of the fully crewed boat?

I find hire boats are usually extremely helpful in this regard.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

It’s not a question of rushing anywhere. 
Just one tip when sharing:

when entering a lock step off before the gate and then close the gate as your boat drifts/passes through. Even if there’s someone waiting to close the gate for you. Step off regardless, show willing. 

And when the gate is shut open the paddle on your side. If there’s crew they won’t mind you getting back on your boat as it goes down. 

So you’ll have closed a gate and opened a paddle. With out using a centreline. 

That's how I do it. If they want me to stay up top I'll tie up the centre rope and not go back on the boat. Takes much longer to get out though.

This only works going down, of course. Up is trickier.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

These locks only have access on one side.

If I have to go back to close the lock I am using the lock landing therefore the other boat can't get his crew on board.

I must be totally thick, does anyone actually singlehand but not "take advantge of" of the fully crewed boat?

I find hire boats are usually extremely helpful in this regard.

I usually find a way of working, agreeing either to close both gates as we go out to let them get ahead to set the next one, or go out first, set the next while their crew shute the gates. The latter is slower, but I reckon it's up to the crewed boat to decide which way to do it.

If I go ahead, I only open one gate and assume they can get through it.

19 minutes ago, Goliath said:

But was a bit. 

I don’t know the answer though. I think when my time comes I’ll play chess and gently sip whisky. 

I do think you’re on one of the toughest canals though. Why not move southish and make life much much easier. 

!ol, lol, :)

I'm trying!

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's how I do it. If they want me to stay up top I'll tie up the centre rope and not go back on the boat. Takes much longer to get out though.

Going up, when the lock is full the single hander can step off and open the gate and close the paddle on their side. 

It is a long time since we were on the L & L  but are there not steps to go back up to close gates? I am thinking of both boats coming out together and stopping and both steerers leaving a stern rope on the ground and going back up to shut a gate. This may not be possible on the L & L though, one of the trickiest canals to start your boating life on .

The main thing is for everyone to stay safe and not take chances  

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yea up is trickier 

Up I will either climb the ladder or step off the boat if I can with the rope and flick it over the beam/gate as I walk up the steps. 
Shut the gate and then open paddle on my my side. 
Most people will suggest I stay on boat. BUT you have to show willing in the first place. 

23 minutes ago, Goliath said:

But was a bit. 

And don't come to the Avon. Breathtakingly beautiful but some of the locks are tricky on your own as you need bow and stern lines.

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I usually find a way of working, agreeing either to close both gates as we go out to let them get ahead to set the next one, or go out first, set the next while their crew shute the gates. The latter is slower, but I reckon it's up to the crewed boat to decide which way to do it.

If I go ahead, I only open one gate and assume they can get through it.

In order to avoid upsetting  other boaters, I usually just go through a few locks.

So it would be very unlikely that they would be impeded.

Hire boats like someone to give them some tips, but again, I am not likely to be with them for more than an hour

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yea, true, 

theres plenty of 70 year olds fitter than I will ever be. 

I'm 72, usually single handing. Crewed boats at wide locks usually appreciate that if I get seriously involved up top, everything is going to take longer than if I stay on the boat. It's not adding to their workrate as if I wasn't there they'd have to do it all anyway.

I always offer, and always do what I can and as above, offer to come out last and close the gate (suggesting they just use one), or go ahead if they wish and prep the next lock, but that's obviously quicker with a crew they can let off the boat than me tying up and doing it. But as I'm at least partly riding on their work, it's their choice.

If they're quicker than me, they can always whizz ahead and go through before I get there.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm 72, usually single handing. Crewed boats at wide locks usually appreciate that if I get seriously involved up top, everything is going to take longer than if I stay on the boat. It's not adding to their workrate as if I wasn't there they'd have to do it all anyway.

I always offer, and always do what I can and as above, offer to come out last and close the gate (suggesting they just use one), or go ahead if they wish and prep the next lock, but that's obviously quicker with a crew they can let off the boat than me tying up and doing it. But as I'm at least partly riding on their work, it's their choice.

If they're quicker than me, they can always whizz ahead and go through before I get there.

Not true that they'd have the do it all anyway. A single boat going through a wide lock usually only opens one gate in and out. 

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

I agree, some single handers are great and do their bit to help, hopping on and off, climbing ladders and doing their share of the work. I have however, been stuck with single handers who don't help at all.

I came across one down near Cape who didn't have a windlass and even tried to close gate with a bit of branch  rather than get off, failed at that. We only did one lock.

So.,,,, if I am entering a deep lock, with another alongside.

I would not expect this person to k ow anything about boating !

His crew is on the lock, do you think I should leave my  helm, engine off!

walk along the gunwales, filthy dirty , to the lock ladder, pick up my centreline. Climb up the ladder with my windlass, in order to open the paddle on my side?

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Breast the boats up, then you only need one steerer. Frees up another paddle winder.

Very true 😃

But whose gonna steer whose boat?

Ive done that with friends .. but strangers ?

I once suggested it and then got involved about whose diesel we’d use !! Ffs. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

walk along the gunwales, filthy dirty , to the lock ladder, pick up my centreline. Climb up the ladder with my windlass, in order to open the paddle on my side?

Are you filthy dirty or your gunwales? 😄

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Breast the boats up, then you only need one steerer. Frees up another paddle winder.

So it's ok to leave someone with zero hours boating experience in charge of your home in order to speed up lock transit by total minutes!

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Yes!

Chances are they will say “stay put”. 
At least you made the move. 

what would have you done if alone?

walk your dirty gunnels, pick up your line and climb the ladder.

Having said that, I would have made it clear before hand :” you ok if I stay on?”

Life’s not hard. 

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I do, but I leave the engine running and don't take a centre line

Edited by ditchcrawler

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No. If the lock has steps at the foot you’d step off with centre line and windlass and let the boat coast into the lock. Or if not you’d drive into the lock and go via the roof and then up the lock ladder, ideally having placed the windlass on the lock side and thrown the rope up beforehand so your hands are free. In neither event would you turn the engine off.

Edited by Captain Pegg