Say hello

Theo60

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But they have no teeth!  You can let them grab you, if you don't pull back its not even painful.

They have strong serrated beaks though.

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But they have no teeth!  You can let them grab you, if you don't pull back its not even painful.

The problem is that the guy whose arm was broken by an angry swan is not given to fabrication and lies. It really happened. 

If I hadn't heard that story, I would probably have had a friendly wrestle with the swan and then we would have shared a beer afterwards, but knowing it had the strength to cause that kind of injury put me off a bit.

Well, a lot. 

I'm not proud of my cowardice on this occasion, and the fact is that the swan won- he bested me on the day.

But I came back later with a super soaker, and I showed that b**tch who was the daddy of the basin. 

Edited by Tony1

1 minute ago, Tony1 said:

The problem is that the guy whose arm was broken by an angry swan is not given to fabrication and lies. It really happened. 

If I hadn't heard that story, I would probably have had a friendly wrestle with the swan and then we would have shared a beer afterwards, but knowing it had the strength to cause that kind of injury put me off a bit.

Well, a lot. 

I'm not proud of my cowardice on this occasion, and the fact is that the beast bettered me on the day.

But I came back later with a super soaker, and I showed that b**tch who was the daddy of the basin. 

And you are wondering why the poor frightened dumb creature attacks you?  I feed lots of swans with young by hand. After a bit of hissing and calm talking to them they are fine and come back for more food next day.

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

And you are wondering why the poor frightened dumb creature attacks you?  I feed lots of swans with young by hand. After a bit of hissing and calm talking to them they are fine and come back for more food next day.

I had hoped it was clear from my narrative that I only squirted water as a last resort, after the swan had already bitten me, chased me out of the basin, and behaved aggressively numerous times.

I'm sure it wasn't trying to cause me any serious damage, but sometimes you just need to be able to get on with a job, without being interrupted every five minutes by a bite on the leg. 

I must stress here that I was very much joking by saying that I showed that b*tch who was daddy of the basin.

I'm just trying to see the funny side of it, that's all.

I took no pleasure at all from squirting water at such a beautiful bird, but I had stuff to do on the boat and I didnt want to be shooing away an aggressive swan all the time. And since I was the only boat in the basin for 4 days, the swan was swooping over every time I stepped out onto the stern.  

I would have loved to be able to calm it down and establish a relationship with it, and I really hope someone does that, because these birds deserve all the kindness and love that the human race can give them. 

I should perhaps make it a bit clearer on the occasions when I'm just joking or being silly. 

34 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

They need to report it as there are no recorded arms having been broken by swans.

Ringers grab them by the neck and then hold their wings in to the body and nobody is injured.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

They need to report it as there are no recorded arms having been broken by swans.

I'm not here to be the guy's defence lawyer, but I will say that he is a semi-active member of this forum, and I personally believe him to be honest in giving his account.

He would have required hospital treatment, so assuming he told the truth in A+E, there should be at least one hospital not too far from the Thames which did indeed record a case of a broken arm caused by a swan. 

Edited by Tony1

I'm not here to be the guy's defence lawyer, but I will say that he is a semi-active member of this forum, and I personally believe him to be honest in giving his account.

Which is why I said he needs to report it.  If Swans are breaking arms it needs to be on record as a warning to ringers and rescue organisations.  However with not one on record it must be incredibly rare as both BTO ringers and rescue personnel would be reporting to higher authority.

He would have required hospital treatment, so assuming he told the truth in A+E, there should be at least one hospital not too far from the Thames which did indeed record a case of a broken arm caused by a swan. 

I haven't found any records certainly the British Trust for Ornithology (of which I am a member have no records), which is another reason why it needs recorded.

I use to be friends with a chap who worked on a wild life reserve in North Norfolk and to approach a swan on a nest they would point an umbrella at it and open it working on the same principal as the swan who arches its wings to make it look bigger.

49 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Which is why I said he needs to report it.  If Swans are breaking arms it needs to be on record as a warning to ringers and rescue organisations.  However with not one on record it must be incredibly rare as both BTO ringers and rescue personnel would be reporting to higher authority.

I haven't found any records certainly the British Trust for Ornithology (of which I am a member have no records), which is another reason why it needs recorded.

I've no idea whether the guy gives a toss about your opinion, or what you say needs to be recorded.

I certainly dont.

22 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I've no idea whether the guy gives a toss about your opinion, or what you say needs to be recorded.

I certainly dont.

I saw a young teenager get a broken arm by an attacking Gander (and Geese are smaller than Swans) it grabbed him with its beak and broke his arm by beating him with its wings.