Swan at Fradley 1 star hygiene rating

PaulD

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly the same as the ISO 9000 quality standards.

It simply shows that you make a product of 'consistent standards' - they may be totally scrap / crap but you will manufacture them all the same.

It is a measure of the 'process system' not a product quality system.

People often misunderstand Quality Control (QC). They assume (wrongly) that it is necessarily about meeting the very highest possible standards. It is not.

The process, in simple terms, is to establish a required standard compatible with regulations, cost and price, market expectations, fit for purpose, etc etc. QC processes are then put in place to measure performance and to ensure the achievement of the requirement. In a business context, it may sometimes be about commenting on too high (costly) a level as well as falling below.

AFAIK, a premises with any of the 5 rating levels can legally continue to trade but the advertisement of the grading may well affect business. Sadly, in a stupidly price sensitive market it all too often does not!

If an inspector finds conditions that fall below any rating - and hence are inherently unsafe - then they would be in a position to commence closure action.

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly the same as the ISO 9000 quality standards.

It simply shows that you make a product of 'consistent standards' - they may be totally scrap / crap but you will manufacture them all the same.

It is a measure of the 'process system' not a product quality system.

I was part of the ISO9000 team for the power part of BT.

People wrote many very detailed process, volumes of them, which I unsuccessfully councilled against.

One day, walking past Vauxhall station with my director, he commented that a small car radio fitting business working from one of the arches there was ISO 9000 compliant. 

"Yes, and we couldn't even fit all of our power section processes in that arch" I quipped.

After a series of embarrassing ISO 9000 failures, we were ordered to minimise our processes to give fewer points to fail on.

21 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I was part of the ISO9000 team for the power part of BT.

People wrote many very detailed process, volumes of them, which I unsuccessfully councilled against.

I was part of our team to obtain ISO 9000, I stongly recommended that we should not list every process and the more we said we did, the more we would have to monitor and be measured against.

It's still the same today. I used to to train people who were interested in this stuff and the first thing I would tell them is everyone is flying the flag outside the building but you need to find the scoping document to understand what it applies to and probably more importantly what it doesn't

We were 9001 accredited but after a while we realised no one bothered asking for it so we quietly dropped it and saved a substantial sum on audits.

On 05/04/2022 at 12:37, PaulD said:

I remember the good old days. The metalwork teacher would fasten your tie in the vice if you were naughty. Had to stay there until he released you. Teachers a bit soft these days.

They not soft, They have to control a class nowaday with very limited powers and the risk of being sued. I blame the namby panby childless Social workers who think that you should not punsh a child for misbehaving and that you should have a little chat instead. We all seen the effects of this policy, out of control kids roaming the streets causing trouble where ever they go.  The day that caning in school was banned, was the day that teachers lost effected control.        

• Greenie 1