New boat prices rising due to increased costs

IanD

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A lot depends on the individual design and layout whether the space of any boat is made best use of for the owner. I think it might be a good idea to try the small boat, and sell it if you have accumulated another £30K in the meantime. The problem might be that you find a suitable boat ( which has already proved difficult ) the owner will not want to wait till you sell yours. 

I know your bank account looks healthy enough, but it would be nice to have a more comfortable home, not one that is one stage from bunking up with a crew member.

Thank you Lady G. Great advice, while I seriously doubt I'll have accumulated another £30K in the time it might take in wanting to "stretch my legs" a bit and go with something bigger, I think quite rightly the problem will lie in having to sell my small abode and trade it in for a bigger one. I think with hyper inflation looming on the horizon and the cost of bread and butter increasing everyday, I'd be happy to have saved another £3K in a year to top up my savings to £10K ;)

34 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I signed it the other week, lovely airport and easy to get to

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I'd be quite happy with a few £10'sK. But seriously, when my long term bonds expired with NS&I, I transferred them into premium bonds and have doubled at least the interest I could have earned tying up my pot for 3 years. That's a lifetime at my age. I can still get to it when I want.

Same here great investment 

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Don't really agree.

A boat dweller will have to still buy gas, fuel, and wood/smokeless, and pay increased mooring fees.

Marinas will have to charge more for their services, as their costs are rising.

We all have to buy food, and I am sure you have seen how prices are rising.

I think there will still be the same differential between boat living and land living.

I agree today Richard was quoted 12.50 for anthracite which was 6.50 a bag last year! I think profiteering might be happening 

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

I agree today Richard was quoted 12.50 for anthracite which was 6.50 a bag last year! I think profiteering might be happening 

The absolute rise in the cost of boat living due to energy costs -- mainly heating -- could well be smaller than a house because boats are smaller -- OTOH they're less well insulated so maybe this cancels out?

But for people on low incomes who live frugally on older boats because it's a cheap way of life, the percentage increase in cost of living could be even higher than on land because fuel is a large part of their costs. They're in the same unfortunate position as landlubbers on low wages who are going to suffer greatly... 😞

Edited by IanD

Just now, Loddon said:

Depends on the boat and the house.

2" thick spray foam ain't bad insulation.

Indeed -- but it ain't as good as 300mm of loft insulation which is what many houses have nowadays 😉

(yes the walls and windows will be worse...)

I suspect that many boaters will be in the same terrible position -- really bad fuel poverty -- as low-income landlubbers, and maybe even worse for those who live frugally where heating is already one of their biggest expenses.

Whether the government does anything to help them remains to be seen... 😞

29 minutes ago, IanD said:

The absolute rise in the cost of boat living due to energy costs -- mainly heating -- could well be smaller than a house because boats are smaller -- OTOH they're less well insulated so maybe this cancels out?

But for people on low incomes who live frugally on older boats because it's a cheap way of life, the percentage increase in cost of living could be even higher than on land because fuel is a large part of their costs. They're in the same unfortunate position as landlubbers on low wages who are going to suffer greatly... 😞

What hurts is we bought that same batch of anthracite last year, so yes storage comes into it, but it's profiteering in a big way. As it happens I need very little because of all the wood I was given. 

Just now, peterboat said:

What hurts is we bought that same batch of anthracite last year, so yes storage comes into it, but it's profiteering in a big way. As it happens I need very little because of all the wood I was given. 

If the wholesale price of the fuel has gone up, who is profiteering? Certainly not the seller...

And I thought you were a believer in low regulation and market forces linking prices with supply and demand, isn't this a perfect example of that? 😉

Just now, IanD said:

If the wholesale price of the fuel has gone up, who is profiteering? Certainly not the seller...

And I thought you were a believer in low regulation and market forces linking prices with supply and demand, isn't this a perfect example of that? 😉

I understand that  but it still hurts when I know what he sold it to me for last year from that same pile. As I said my coal bunker is full and a few extra bags will do for overnight on the Rayburn. 

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

I understand that  but it still hurts when I know what he sold it to me for last year from that same pile. As I said my coal bunker is full and a few extra bags will do for overnight on the Rayburn. 

You had the option to buy two years supply, but chose to purchase one years supply. The supplier chose to store two years supply, at his cost, so really you can't blame him for trading in commodity futures, as it were.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well it covered last nights dinner at The Navigation Inn Maesbury .

Love that place. Visited last month.  The owners now both work in supermarkets to supplement their income and keep the place going, albeit with restricted opening hours. Utility bills will kill many a hospitality business.

The Nav is a treat when visiting the Monty.

18 hours ago, johnmck said:

Love that place. Visited last month.  The owners now both work in supermarkets to supplement their income and keep the place going, albeit with restricted opening hours. Utility bills will kill many a hospitality business.

The Nav is a treat when visiting the Monty.

Shanty singers on the first Thursday of the month in the bar and quiz on the 3rd . We went for a meal but there were quite a few in the bar when we left