Stolen Broads Cruiser

RS2021

Featured Posts

The following is a copy of a post by the Broads Authority on a Broads Forum. As one contributor there pointed out that the cruiser is trailable I thought it may be worth posting here. The boat is not narrow beam, but might pop up on a river or broad canal marina.

Urgent - Stolen Vessel Reg H94 - Report To Norfolk Constabulary

Missing vessel appeal

The vessel pictured, registration mark H94, has been reported missing by its owner. It was moored near Cary's Meadow, Norwich on the River Yare.

It was last spotted on Saturday 26 February travelling on Haddiscoe Cut towards St Olave's with two people onboard. It has not been since.

It is possible that due to the nature of the vessel being slowly moved through the system that it is being taken for a 'joy ride' or has been sold on. It has been picked up on multiple CCTV cameras so if you have any photos/videos please feel free to share and report to the police.

The vessel is a Freeman 23, registration H94.

Norfolk Constabulary have issued crime reference 36/15521/22.

They ask if anyone sees the boat to call 999 and use the What 3 Words app to provide the location.

Best,

xxx (Broads Authority)

274792575_10159906889050135_7132854867543103596_n.jpg.d47586024484e27bcfae387cd3972062.jpg.8ddd66e5eb5d037b99d59f84801d44c5.jpg

Freeman 23 usually has a soft top over the cockpit. 

Quite a difficult boat to ID without some unique features. 

ETA it doesn't have the original Freeman navigation lights on it. They usually had heavy chromed bronze "teardrop" type lamps on those whereas this one has light weight stainless or aluminium bodied lamps.

Also the fender holder on the front rail is not standard. 

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So now the thief knows what to change to avoid it being identified!!!!

Well done.

Mind you, I bet the correct nav lights are hard-to-impossible to find, and cost a fortune if still available. 

• Greenie 1

What a great looking little boat.

You can see why somebody would want to nick it.

I'm on the broads in 4 weeks so will keep a look out but I doubt by then it will be around.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is a trailable boat.

It could be anywhere in the country by now.

Only with a big 4x4 and a dual axle trailer.

At 1700kg plus the weight of fuel and trailer it's way  to heavy for most cars.

50 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Only with a big 4x4 and a dual axle trailer.

At 1700kg plus the weight of fuel and trailer it's way  to heavy for most cars.

Still a lot lighter than a lot of  boats that are trailed on a regular basis.

Not difficult to get a 4x4 and a trailer sorted out. 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still a lot lighter than a lot of  boats that are trailed on a regular basis.

Not difficult to get a 4x4 and a trailer sorted out. 

Indeed. Just needs to be something like a Disco/defender/Hilux/Shogun. All very common.

And 'borrow' steal somebody else's trailer.

Job done.

37 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

The boat is now being reported as found and secured. Thank you for the interest on this forum.

Is that IT? No more information than that, after all the interest and willing shown??!

Info only emerging in last hour from BroadsBeat (Police) and Broads Authority. Boat being subject to CSI before being returned to owner. If any more info emerges I'll let you know, but the Police are usually limited in what they publish.  BroadsBeat and BA do post some info on Twitter.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Info only emerging in last hour from BroadsBeat (Police) and Broads Authority. Boat being subject to CSI before being returned to owner. If any more info emerges I'll let you know, but the Police are usually limited in what they publish.  BroadsBeat and BA do post some info on Twitter.

Thanks. Apologies for my rather terse post, I was imagining that was all we were ever going to find out! 

Glad the boat has been recovered and hope is not damaged. Been thinking about this. If a boat like that got stolen in this area I can only think of a limited number of places where it could be slipped onto a trailer. I think all of them except maybe one would need yard / marina owner to allow access, it wouldn't be too difficult to make removing from the water with a trailer a risky thing to attempt for a thief. With cruisers it seems to be more outboard engines at risk around here than complete boats.