Stuck on a corner on the Aire- Robbie Cumming

Stroudwater1

Featured Posts

I enjoyed his TV series but am puzzled by this one. Looks like the stern/ rear was stuck as  the bow  swing round that’s what could be expected 

Didnt he have an ash pole to get himself off with? 

Bit embarrassing. Last one I saw he slightly struggled getting into Selby too. 

Feel rather sorry for him actually 

swmbo did get stuck on a shoal on the Thames and only realised when the skiff we shared the lock with overtook us. Poling got us off. 

im not sure draining drinking water out is wise, he may have needed it. 🤣

Has anyone here needed rescuing when stuck? 

It didn't help that as he tried to reverse the wind blowing from the port side blew against his bow making it worse. I can't understand why he emptied his water tanks because it was the stern not the bow which was stuck.

I've only been on that river once and it was indeed very bendy, but when I did it there was more depth of water than he had. Looking at his video the banks were much more exposed than when I was on it.

I got stuck in roughly the same place on the Aire and no amount of poling would get me off. Luckily water skiers were out and a couple of boats and blokes pulled me off, their wash helped as well.

33 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I got stuck in roughly the same place on the Aire and no amount of poling would get me off. Luckily water skiers were out and a couple of boats and blokes pulled me off, their wash helped as well.

I haven't checked the exact location of the incident but we also had an issue when returning from the Selby Canal a few years back. It was a day on which quite a few power boats were out, some but not all with water skiers. We were concerned not to get in their way - they understandably took the central channel and cut as much of the corners as they could! On one of the bends we caught the bottom and although I reacted as soon as it was felt (too often I suspect that people make the problem worse by simply trying to push on in the hope that they will get free) it was far from easy to release ourselves - probably only ten minutes but felt like ages. As usual, it was the point just ahead of the stern, rather than the stern itself, that caught, although we could swing both the bow and stern t was the flatness of the bottom that created added suction. To be fair, one power boat did come close to enquire if they could help but they managed to time it just as we freed ourselves!

• Greenie 1

A cautionary tale. I've lost count of the number of boats we've pull off the inside of bends on the Aire, Thames, Great Ouse and the shallows of various canals. To my utter embarrassment I once let an ex-boating friend steer Midnight out of Shepley Bridge lock, he cut the corner going into Greenwood cut and we were stuck fast. A hire boat pulled us off. 🤔

HumberRenown  returning unloaded from Whitwood Wharf August 2007 ...

spacer.png

spacer.png... and in passing, as it were,  we ill-advisedly cut the corner, and were aground for a while, an event captured in a picture by WilliamJ from the moorings above Fairies Hill Lock.. A downstream narrowboat helpfully took a line and pulled us off the-way-we-got-on and we took a wider sweep around the bend.

William helpfully suggested that groundings there are common, and worth watchings from the moorings. Glad to provide some entertainment on a wet afternoon, and thank you, William, for recording the incident. 🙂

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

He is back on tonight

image.png

That's a lot of canal/river travelling for just a single episode? Or hopefully it will be shorter sections broken down into separate episodes/sections.

But normally he's a very good watch.

Edited by The Happy Nomad