what a bad day

calamity507

Featured Posts

:)

If I ever see this boat approaching me on a narrow stretch of waterway I will assume ramming speed!

Top of my list of things I don't ever want to hear the skipper say:

"All power to the engines, give me ramming speed!" (Captain Sheridan on the Agamemnon, Babylon 5 series 4 episode 'Endgame')

or the closely related

"Perhaps today is a good day to die, prepare for ramming speed!" (Lt. Commander Worf on the USS Defiant, Star Trek: First Contact)

Or even "Blow tanks, trim planes, open bow tubes 1 and 2..."

Well quite.

Getting back to the OP's situation though, Calamity, does your insurance include legal services cover? If it does, I'd strongly advise using it. If not, I'd still be tempted to talk to a lawyer with appropriate experience, and get them to instruct a qualified surveyor to conduct a damage survey (by engaging a lawyer and getting them to instruct the surveyor the survey report should be legally privileged*, so that if you do end up in court the other party can't ask for it during the discovery phase).

I'd also be tempted to report the incident to the MAIB - their reports can't be used as a basis for litigation or criminal proceedings, but they do have the authority to detain people (and boats) for investigation, which might be of some practical benefit to you (and at the very least an inconvenience for the owner of the other boat, depending on how co-operative or otherwise he feels like being).

*I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Big Woolwich versus widebeam....my money's on the woolwich.

Oh really? Well you may just lose your money! :)

I reckon that bastard might think twice if he saw this bearing down on him!

Scan0003.jpg

Especially if it had a team of hard Scousers crawling all over it :)

Edited by blackrose

I think if a converted (more rigid) town class woolwich hit your boat HARD where that electric wire with the yellow bit is in the picture you would get a dent and they wouldn't (imo).I think if a converted (more rigid) town class woolwich hit your boat HARD where that electric wire with the yellow bit is in the picture you would get a dent and they wouldn't (imo).

Are we talking a Liverpool Boat here Blackrose? I would rather be in a Springer :D:( or if my partner was party to this she would press the self destruct button(for me) :) and the ejector seat button for her :) rather than damage (or even scrape) a big Woolwich. In fact no matter what the circumstances I/we would always be wrong when dealing with those beatiful monsters.

I think if a converted (more rigid) town class woolwich hit your boat HARD where that electric wire with the yellow bit is in the picture you would get a dent and they wouldn't (imo).I think if a converted (more rigid) town class woolwich hit your boat HARD where that electric wire with the yellow bit is in the picture you would get a dent and they wouldn't (imo).

An unconverted, unloaded, Big Wooly, at ramming speed, might well climb a modern, squat widebeam, until it's welds started splitting.

Well quite.

Getting back to the OP's situation though, Calamity, does your insurance include legal services cover? If it does, I'd strongly advise using it. If not, I'd still be tempted to talk to a lawyer with appropriate experience, and get them to instruct a qualified surveyor to conduct a damage survey (by engaging a lawyer and getting them to instruct the surveyor the survey report should be legally privileged*, so that if you do end up in court the other party can't ask for it during the discovery phase).

Unless there are witnesses other than those directly involved or some other form of evidence proving that it was the other boater's fault then I'm afraid you have little chance of recovering anything. I assume that the other boat will have sustained as much damage as yours and is as likely to claim from you. We only have one side of the story so far.

Edited by AlanH

Unless there are witnesses other than those directly involved or some other form of evidence proving that it was the other boater's fault then I'm afraid you have little chance of recovering anything. I assume that the other boat will have sustained as much damage as yours and is as likely to claim from you. We only have one side of the story so far.

If the other boat had suffered similar damage, would you not expect the owner to stop and exchange insurance details with the OP, as they're required to do? As it is, his boat (assuming it is the one listed on Jim Shead's site) is distinctive enough that it shouldn't be too difficult to show that it couldn't have been any other vessel in that area at the time, and I'd love to hear him explain to a court exactly what he was doing and why he felt it necessary to navigate in that fashion. Remember a civil claim for damages only has to be proven 'on the balance of probabilities', and we already have witnesses here reporting the fact that this vessel was navigating on that stretch of canal and traveling in the appropriate direction.

Glad that in all that chaos, none of you got hurt, which is the most important thing. Still must have been a heck of a shock though.

Some people shouldn't be allowed on the waterways with arrogant attitudes like that. You should have shouted (as we do now) 'You've lost your water skier'.

Hope Sue manages to track him down. The least he can do is admit liability. Leaving the scene of an accident I always thought was a crime. Maybe that doesn't count of a canal?

We have told Jane where Cantley is but we don't know the name of the boat that was following. If anyone has a clue please let Clamity know. We had to take evasive action when they caught up with us at the fourth lock up Buckby. We were in the lock and Cantley aimed for our rear. One of his crew came and pushed the lock gate closed to deflect him into his side of the lock, after that he went into the locks first. They were planning to reach Braunston that evening it being 4ish when they were going up Buckby.

Sue

Yes we do pay extra for legal and today we have met another boater that had a nasty experience with him yesterday. So thats 3 in less than 2 hours. Also if we had had a nasty experience with another boater there is no way I could have gone up a flight of locks with others without recounting my experiences ,unless of course I was in the wrong. Sounds like they were in a rush maybe they should choose another pastime.

Sorry Malc, but to take a yacht into that is just plain carelessness. Why were they so close ? did they not have a chart ?

Still not as scary as my friends had on the yacht in the West Coast of Scotland. They got in the Corriebreckan whirlpool.

Sailing boat with a large keel ran aground. They thought they were sinking, however when one of them noticed deep water one side they managed to reverse off.

I still say it's safer to have a shore a few yards BOTH sides :)

Still not as scary as my friends had on the yacht in the West Coast of Scotland. They got in the Corriebreckan whirlpool.

Sailing boat with a large keel ran aground. They thought they were sinking, however when one of them noticed deep water one side they managed to reverse off.

I still say it's safer to have a shore a few yards BOTH sides :)

Sorry Malc, but to take a yacht into that is just plain carelessness. Why were they so close ? did they not have a chart ?

But its a great trip in a canoe.

Incidentally I have taken a yacht through there, simply have to get the tide state right. Great sailing.

Yes. I now know the 'captain' quite well. He admitted he made an error. He had a chart, but was plotting the course to the next marker bouy, however he got the wrong side, due to underestimating the current. He bought a chartplotter at Newark boat jumble in February.

Edited by Supermalc

Possibly, but if I hit him HARD I might sink it!
Are we talking a Liverpool Boat here Blackrose? I would rather be in a Springer :D:( or if my partner was party to this she would press the self destruct button(for me) :) and the ejector seat button for her :) rather than damage (or even scrape) a big Woolwich. In fact no matter what the circumstances I/we would always be wrong when dealing with those beatiful monsters.
Well then the difference between you & I is that I have no such reverence & couldn't give a @%&* There's nothing wrong with LBs & you can keep your old springer, I've already had enough of those for one lifetime.
An unconverted, unloaded, Big Wooly, at ramming speed, might well climb a modern, squat widebeam, until it's welds started splitting.
Or until the Wooly turned itself over onto its side & sank. The truth is that nobody knows what would happen in such a collision and we're all speculating. Anyway, I don't actually want to ram this boat, but I'm angry for Calamity and others that the idiot who owns it is moving about on the waterways in such a reckless manner. Edited by blackrose

Not quite home we had to stop to clear up all the broken glass and mess. Didnt want dogs with cut paws. After that we just couldnt build up the energy to move. The icing on the cake would be if sue got the name of the smaller boat behind them. They witnessed it and said he had hit a lot mnre. But yes tomorrow can only be beuerNot quite home we had to stop to clear up all the broken glass and mess. Didnt want dogs with cut paws. After that we just couldnt build up the energy to move. The icing on the cake would be if sue got the name of the smaller boat behind them. They witnessed it and said he had hit a lot more. But yes tomorrow can only be better. Bit more than scuffs believe me. Just scuffs we wouldnt mind.

If anyone got even a hint of an index number and a corresponding boat name let me know and I will pass on to the appropriate peeps I've got to know in the right places and maybe some good can come of this. Will try to help if I can. I'm good at puzzles.

D

BTW a big Woolwich breasted to a lighter (unpowered narrow hopper thing really) towing what looked like a BCN station boat ready for conversion came past us the other day not a million miles away from Bulbourne but they i am sure wouldn't have behaved in such a beastly manner.

D

Edited by debbifiggy

Courtesy of Jim Shead's site:

CANTLEY Built by HARLAND & WOLFF - Length: 70 feet (21.34 metres) Beam: 7 feet (2.14 metres). Draft: 3 feet 3 inches (1.00 metres).Metal hull . Registered with BW number 60241 as a Powered.

Could that be the one?

Debbi thanks for your help. The boat is as above and Calamity knows where it is. but any help will be welcome I am sure. The boat that was following needs to be traced as they witnessed what happened. Sue

Debbi thanks for your help. The boat is as above and Calamity knows where it is. but any help will be welcome I am sure. The boat that was following needs to be traced as they witnessed what happened. Sue
fingers crossed we may be in luck. The boat moored in front of us we have tonight found out also had a problem with the same boat as us(thats 4 now) knows the couple on the boat that was following him. They witnessed it and were the ones who said he had hit lots of boats all the while they were following him. He cant remember the boat name but when he sees them will ask them to contact us.

blackrose Posted Yesterday, 10:11 PM

QUOTE(magnetman @ Oct 25 2007, 02:23 PM)

Possibly, but if I hit him HARD I might sink it!

QUOTE(PaddingtonBear @ Oct 25 2007, 02:35 PM)

Are we talking a Liverpool Boat here Blackrose? I would rather be in a Springer or if my partner was party to this she would press the self destruct button(for me) and the ejector seat button for her rather than damage (or even scrape) a big Woolwich. In fact no matter what the circumstances I/we would always be wrong when dealing with those beatiful monsters.

Well then the difference between you & I is that I have no such reverence & couldn't give a @%&* There's nothing wrong with LBs & you can keep your old springer, I've already had enough of those for one lifetime.

QUOTE(carlt @ Oct 25 2007, 03:10 PM)

Or until the Wooly turned itself over onto its side & sank. The truth is that nobody knows what would happen in such a collision and we're all speculating. Anyway, I don't actually want to ram this boat, but I'm angry for Calamity and others that the idiot who owns it is moving about on the waterways in such a reckless manner.

If you want to find out I will bring my Big Woolwich down to your moorings :)

( I am taking the p***)

I know "Cantley" very well the boat NOT the owner, but for what it's worth I have never heard of any other problems with this gentleman when moving the boat

He has owned Cantley for a number of years and I would have thought to have been a "responsible" boater..

If it's any use I do know where his home moring is and a contact number possily

Please pm me if you need to

Chris

Edited by Baldock

there is always the possibility it wasnt the owner on board. Just someone moving it for him just sad who ever it was wasnt up to the job. Another boater has looked at our damage today and was appalled. It is being dealt with and we have all the contact details thanks

Small boys in school playgrounds have discussions like this; If a PowerRanger fought a NinjaTurtle who would win? If Superman fired his death ray at Batman would it kill him, my dad is bigger than your dad, If a big Woolwich hit a....... :-)

there is always the possibility it wasnt the owner on board. Just someone moving it for him just sad who ever it was wasnt up to the job.

They came past us at Gayton (in both directions so they must have winded not much further south) the other day and luckily were running slowly past the line of moored boats and didn't hit anything. I believe there were at least three crew members on board, two middle aged gentlemen and a younger guy if I recall correctly.

Small boys in school playgrounds have discussions like this; If a PowerRanger fought a NinjaTurtle who would win? If Superman fired his death ray at Batman would it kill him, my dad is bigger than your dad, If a big Woolwich hit a....... :-)

I think a power ranger would win but neither would stand a chance against a Transformer.

Superman doesn't have a death ray btw. I think you're confusing it with his heat vision.