Rules regarding how far you move your boat.

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

Hi , we have a home  leisure mooring but plan to do spend most  of the time off the mooring but usually not cruising very far.

Do we have to follow the same rules as a continuous cruiser in that we have to make progress through the canal system rather 

than ' bridge hop'

I hope the question makes sense.

Thanks, Mike

6 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Hi , we have a home  leisure mooring but plan to do spend most  of the time off the mooring but usually not cruising very far.

Do we have to follow the same rules as a continuous cruiser in that we have to make progress through the canal system rather 

than ' bridge hop'

I hope the question makes sense.

Thanks, Mike

You must observe the 14  day rule like everyone else.

You are expected to make progress around the system or return periodically to your home moorings. Bridge hopping as you put it is not allowed.

• Greenie 1

If I retur

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You must observe the 14  day rule like everyone else.

You are expected to make progress around the system or return periodically to your home moorings. Bridge hopping as you put it is not allowed.

If I return periodically can I return to the same mooring spot ? 

1 minute ago, narrowboatmike said:

If I retur

If I return periodically can I return to the same mooring spot ? 

If you have been back to your home mooring, yes. Be aware that the C&RT checker will cover the same area usually on a weekly basis so If you are consistently seen at the same location, it may be assumed that you have overstayed.

Why do want to always go to the same place when you have the whole system to explore?

• Greenie 1

You can't go and moor long term in Hebden Bridge if that's what you are hoping to do. ?

The rules keep changing but whilst away from your mooring you are expected to behave like a continuous cruiser on some sot of journey.

This is a rule, its not backed up by law, but you probably don't want to be the one to finance the test case.

I believe that once you return to your mooring the clock resets, though I have no idea how long you have to stay on your mooring for this to happen.

It would be quite reasonable to have a home mooring and go boating to almost the same place every weekend, I did this for two years ?

Although you can't really satisfy continuous cruising distance on the Rochdale I think you could easily spend many months away from your mooring without getting into trouble as long as you do some moving.  Sowerby Bridge to Summit and back with 14 day stops in nice places could take 6 months.

......Dave

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

You can't go and moor long term in Hebden Bridge if that's what you are hoping to do. ?

The rules keep changing but whilst away from your mooring you are expected to behave like a continuous cruiser on some sot of journey.

This is a rule, its not backed up by law, but you probably don't want to be the one to finance the test case.

I believe that once you return to your mooring the clock resets, though I have no idea how long you have to stay on your mooring for this to happen.

It would be quite reasonable to have a home mooring and go boating to almost the same place every weekend, I did this for two years ?

Although you can't really satisfy continuous cruising distance on the Rochdale I think you could easily spend many months away from your mooring without getting into trouble as long as you do some moving.  Sowerby Bridge to Summit and back with 14 day stops in nice places could take 6 months.

......Dave

Thanks Dave, you answered a few other questions we had. Regarding Hebden Bridge, I  enjoy visiting theme parks

but wouldn't one to live in one. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, narrowboatmike said:

Thanks Dave, you answered a few other questions we had. Regarding Hebden Bridge, I  enjoy visiting theme parks

but wouldn't one to live in one. 

Its lovely mid week, especially in winter. Its a very pretty town so if its busy its good to go walking in the hills and to look down on it from a distance.

33 minutes ago, IanD said:

CART recently updated their rules to close this loophole and apply the same "bona fide cruising" requirements to boats with a home mooring.

It's catch 22. You sign for the T&C when you get your licence. It isn't law. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It's catch 22. You sign for the T&C when get your licence. It isn't law. 

Never said it was. Suggest you read what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote... ?

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

but it is probably covered by the laws (or at least the legal precedents) concerning contracts.

Well, until enough boaters get together, or crowd fund, the T&Cs are what we sign for. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Unimpressed 1

I emailed CRT about this when it first came in  being a home moorer and leisure cruiser. The clock resets when your boat spends a night at it's mooring, so if there's your fsvourite pub you can go there every weekend if you like, as long as you go back home in the week. Generally, home moorers don't have time to go far or too many routes.

If you're a leisure boater, and go off on holiday for a few weeks, why wouldn't you cruise? You might park up on your granny's EOG mooring for a week, I suppose,  and in that case I'd just tell CRT.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Well, until enough boaters get together, or crowd fund, the T&Cs are what we sign for. 

Remind me how did your objection to having to have a licence in a marina go?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Remind me, when you're interested. 

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Ooh, pot, kettle. At least my preaching is backed by facts... ?

We all know about facts. ?

• Unimpressed 1

14 minutes ago, Higgs said:
18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Remind me, when you're interested

I am please tell .

46 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I am please tell .

What particular aspect is of most interest? Saturday is keeping me busy. But it was never to come to some arrangement with a marina. A marina's hands are as tied up in contract as a moorer's are, tied up with T&Cs. CRT is the prey, and it takes more than a single person.

Edited by Higgs