Fitting mechanical oil and temperature gauge to bmc 1.5 diesel

Featured Posts

Hi 

I am fitting a mechanical oil and temperature gauge to bmc 1.5 diesel and have found that the temperature probe is much longer and fouls the block. Does anyone know where I can get a 5/8unf male to female fitting to move the probe further out. 

Thanks Stuart 

3 minutes ago, Tat 1959 said:

I believe the tread in the block is 5/8 unf and the thread on the probe appears to be the same size. 

Fairy Nuff.

There are some odd things about threads on BMC engines.  Some are BSP, some NPT. Even the 1.5 and 1.8 engines have different threads on the rear head tapping for cooling water.

Just now, Tat 1959 said:

I believe the tread in the block is 5/8 unf and the thread on the probe appears to be the same size. 

I had an Austin Healey Sprite with a mechanical oil pressure and ether filled temperature sender, that set up might suit your needs? They fed to a combined gauge which was very practical and looked good.

1 hour ago, Tat 1959 said:

That is the second time you posted that, here is a surprise - we get it. However, some of us know there are some very odd threads on BMC engines in places like this and if there is any age to the engine it is perfectly possible it's been drilled and tapped. Tracy just warned you to be sure before sending money and your reply shows that you are not sure. You only believe and it appears to be so, nothing positive, have you had a thread gauge on it? Have you tried in with a known nut? Was the tread type and size in the paperwork? If you are not sure its best to make sure.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Sorry if I have posted the same thing twice. I am not that good with phones and am new to the site. I unfortunately have just been informed that I have to self isolate so will not be able to do anything for 10 days. I will get everything checked on thread size when I can. 

Thanks for all your help and comments 

Stuart 

14 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Isn't 3/8 bsp and 5/8 unf very close in thread sizes.  They both have 18 tpi

You may find that a 3/8 BSP bolt is a very loose fit in a 5/8 UNF nut, regardless of them both being 18 tpi!

1 hour ago, Tat 1959 said:

Sorry if I have posted the same thing twice. I am not that good with phones and am new to the site. I unfortunately have just been informed that I have to self isolate so will not be able to do anything for 10 days. I will get everything checked on thread size when I can. 

Thanks for all your help and comments 

Stuart 

Hope the isolation goes well and you remain OK

For the temperature gauge I fitted one of these in the top hose. It needs some "vibration loops."

Car Water Temperature Temp Sensor Gauge Radiator Hose Joint Pipe Adapter 38MM UK | eBay

A word of caution do not use a Kenlow type fitting. I did and with the engine vibrations the sensing bulb broke off the brass tube and is rattling around in the coolant system somewhere.
Second photo Kenlow type fitting.

DSCF2424.JPG

2014 SEAL.jpg

Edited by Ray T

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

For the temperature gauge I fitted one of these in the top hose. It needs some "vibration loops."

I think I got it from a classic car accessory site.

A word of caution do not use a Kenlow type fitting. I did and with the engine vibrations the sensing bulb broke off the brass tube and is rattling around in the coolant system somewhere.
Second photo Kenlow type fitting.

DSCF2424.JPG

2014 SEAL.jpg

Unfortunately I think that the OP is using a dual gauge with a capillary temperature sender not an electric one so he has no option but get the bulb into the water.

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

My temperature gauge is a capillary one, not electric. The fitting above is for a capillary type. 

s-l1600.jpg

I suspect from the initial post that he has a sender bulb with a long shank as if it won't fit into the side of the 1,5D cylinder head it must be over 30mm long.