Front door locking - best way

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You leave a padlock thru the staple when you are onboard ?

Not such a silly idea.  When the scrotes decide to either cast you off, pour something obnoxious down vents or chimneys, or try to make off with any external equipment, then any rod through the hasp and staple stops you getting out.

12 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Not such a silly idea.  When the scrotes decide to either cast you off, pour something obnoxious down vents or chimneys, or try to make off with any external equipment, then any rod through the hasp and staple stops you getting out.

In the same way that leaving the padlock thru the staple stops you getting out, or have I misunderstood what you said ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the same way that leaving the padlock thru the staple stops you getting out, or have I misunderstood what you said ?

What makes me wonder with some people is when they have a padlocked hasp outside on their rear doors with traditional layout(bedroom to rear) so most of the fire risk is forward of the bedroom(solid fuel stove) so if a fire should start in the forward saloon/cabin they have trapped themselves in. Then when you explain the possible implications they say “Oh I never thought of that”

Edited by PD1964

We have a padlock on the back door - which is our main exit. It is not ideal and, one day, I may change it to a Yale type cylinder lock - when I get round to it.

All our other doors and hatches are secured on the inside with bolts and nuts - the nut is welded to the door/hatch and this really does work well in that, from the outside, it is not possible to figure out.

1 hour ago, NB Alnwick said:

We have a padlock on the back door - which is our main exit. It is not ideal and, one day, I may change it to a Yale type cylinder lock - when I get round to it.

All our other doors and hatches are secured on the inside with bolts and nuts - the nut is welded to the door/hatch and this really does work well in that, from the outside, it is not possible to figure out.

Here you go Graham, no excuses now. :D

4314055130_d6b6363a94_o.jpg

Another thought is make one set of doors lockable from the inside only. Doesn't advertise whether folks are in or out.
As we have a cratch cover it is the rear doors in our case.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Another thought is make one set of door lockable from the inside only. Doesn't advertise whether folks are in or out.
As we have a cratch cover it is the rear doors in our case.

When we got our boat the stern doors where only lockable by slide bolts from the inside and the front doors had slide bolts and a key, so you had to exit from the front.

Knowing that the pontoons at Llangollen are short, I didn't fancy shimmying along the gunnels with shopping, so fitted a Yale lock and additional slide bolts to the rear doors.

Now we can exit from either end and the locks don't indicate whether the boat is occupied or not.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You put the lock through the staple without the hasp so the hatch/doors cannot be locked.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

The padlock is left in the staple when I am inside, so the hasp can't be closed by scrotes, I have quite a few emergency exits, courtesy of Caldwell Windows, if, for some reason I can't exit via the front door.

Edited by LadyG