Beta Marine JD3 manual

JLees

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, 1stArthur said:

What picture would identify it ? It has a beta no on it Beta 20010001.that’s on the rocker cover . 

20231016_105333.thumb.jpg.1c90b3e2e6efd44b5d491083165f6674.jpg

That is the Rocker Cover number on my BD3. 

Yes I know its dirty, currently on way to get the oil leak fixed.

Its not a JD3, so if its a biggish slow revving engine from Beta then it must be the BD3, and Ditchcrawler says it looks like his and he has a BD3.

There are lots of photos of the JD3 on the internet, and a few of the BD3.

People do get these engines confused sometimes, Beta stopped doing the BD3 years ago and replaced it with the JD3, and sold a lot more of the JD3 so a few people have not heard of the BD3 so just assume JD3.

2 minutes ago, 1stArthur said:

Another number I have found on he block

HH2 OE29 

IMG_9746.jpeg

That is a BD3, strange top on your air cleaner. don't  buy an ait cleaner element from Beta, you will need a mortgage 

Edited by ditchcrawler

27 minutes ago, 1stArthur said:

Another number on the block 

HH2 OE29 . 

IMG_9746.jpeg

That is definitely a BD3. Same as mine with slight differences. The air filter housing is different on mine with the air intake on the opposite end of the cannister. Your oil pressure gauge is mounted the opposite side of the bracket to mine. Mine has the hand start so has the Decompression lever. I can see the Ford mark in the oval on the casting in the same place as yours. Have you got a manual. I can send you a softcover of the Beta manual when I get home in a couple of weeks. Send me a pm to remind me

Thank you I don’t have a manual. What does BD stand for ? 
I was thinking of when I get time to connect a small bar to the throttle and bring the control cable connection to the back of it so it’s easy to change a broken cable because I can’t see a way of getting at that it as it is . 
Arthur. 

I suspect BD is Beta Diesel??? and JD is John Deere.

I think Beta was founded by a bunch od ex Lister men and so this could be continuing the Lister tradition of two letters plus the cylinder count??? HA2 CS2 JP3 etc.

There are not always definitive  part numbers for fiter elements, each manufacturer has their own number system. There should be a makers name and number on the existing elements. You can then use that to cross reference to other makes of filter if required.

Some filters are almost generic, lots of people make and refer to a "296 type filter" for example but still some makes do not include the 296 in thier number.

The first filter/water trap is likely mounted on the boat rather than engine so will be selected and fitted by the boat builder, it should have a number on iy, otherwise can you do a good photo?.

I use Delphi 296 as they are not pleated on the on engine filter. I use the same one on the agglomerator which is mounted on the swim of the boat before the fuel reaches the engine. I understand the other one on the engine only has a cone in it . 

Edited by ditchcrawler
Spilling

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use Delphi 296 as they are not pleated on the on engine filter. I use the same one on the agglomerator which is mounted on the swim of the boat before the fuel reaches the engine. I understand the other one on the engine only has a cone in it . 

Sounds to me as if it would be better to change it, so the cone one is first in the system. That is a sedimentor and removes about 80% of the water and dirt, leaving the agglomerator to get rid of the other 20%. In normal use, probably not an issue, but if you got bug or water in the tank it might keep you going for a little longer. However It must have been fine for you and "if it is not broke" and so on.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sounds to me as if it would be better to change it, so the cone one is first in the system. That is a sedimentor and removes about 80% of the water and dirt, leaving the agglomerator to get rid of the other 20%. In normal use, probably not an issue, but if you got bug or water in the tank it might keep you going for a little longer. However It must have been fine for you and "if it is not broke" and so on.

The cone and filter are standard engine mounted Beta, my agglomitor/ filter element is straight after the tank

DSCF8566.jpg

My guess is that it is a Ford fitment, not trusting farmers to have inline water traps. If your agglomerator uses a 296 filter, if you wanted to, there is a good chance you can just swap the two lower parts of each assembly, but not if the cone is fixed to the head rather than the middle section. 

On 17/10/2023 at 16:58, ditchcrawler said:

The cone and filter are standard engine mounted Beta, my agglomitor/ filter element is straight after the tank

DSCF8566.jpg

Do not forget that this filter is after the lift pump gauze

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

20231017_120903.thumb.jpg.8507bc2cac8fafe46681eb94a2e428f7.jpg

There is also a Baldwins number for the fuel filter. Will dig it out. Does yours have the 5kva 240v alternator or not

On 16/10/2023 at 14:51, dmr said:

I think Beta was founded by a bunch od ex Lister men 

Im pretty certain that is the case, I believe they initially set up in Nailsworth, just over the hill from the then sadly being ruined Listers. Listers - a very sad story but good foresight from the Betamarine team

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Do not forget that this filter is after the lift pump gauze

There is also a Baldwins number for the fuel filter. Will dig it out. Does yours have the 5kva 240v alternator or not

Baldwins BF825 is a fuel filter what I use

On 16/10/2023 at 14:23, 1stArthur said:

Thank you I don’t have a manual. What does BD stand for ? 
I was thinking of when I get time to connect a small bar to the throttle and bring the control cable connection to the back of it so it’s easy to change a broken cable because I can’t see a way of getting at that it as it is . 
Arthur. 

I thought that BD stands for Basildon which is where the engine was built as that is where the Ford Tractor Factory was.