Party boat confiscated

big d

Featured Posts

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

There is no evidence yet that the jab stops you catching or spreading the bug, only you are less likely to die from it

That is surprising: "Hurry up and have this vaccination against the Bug. Oh, you'll still catch it, by the way" - but, as I said, I'm not a scientist, so I don't know for sure.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

That is surprising: "Hurry up and have this vaccination against the Bug. Oh, you'll still catch it, by the way" - but, as I said, I'm not a scientist, so I don't know for sure.

It was announced this morning they are doing a trial to expose people to the virus  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56097088

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I think that it will stop you 'getting it' and that means then you wont have it to spread....but they havent shown that yet so no one dare say it....and if they did then all the vacinated peeps would be out partying it up ....which is what they dont want.

Will it stop you getting it? I am sure the virus will get in your body, try to establish itself and then hopefully the antibodies/T cells caused by the vacine will zap it so it then is 'dead' and cant be spread infecting others. Maybe the virus will fight the protection before it 'dies' meaning that small bits can get out and infect others. Time will tell!

We've not had the argument yet about whether a virus can be termed 'alive'?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

all the vacinated peeps would be out partying it up ....which is what they don't want.

Perhaps not quite partying it up, but certainly many people will want to resume contact with their friends and family in person rather than at the end of a telephone line. Has their been guidance on how soon after the vaccination it is safe to mingle? I did read two weeks, but I'm unsure of the source of that information.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Has their been guidance on how soon after the vaccination it is safe to mingle? I did read two weeks, but I'm unsure of the source of that information.

There have been quite a few posts by Justin claiming two weeks.  I've not seen any official guidance that states two weeks though - two months is more like it for one jab.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

AZ and Oxford have always said that their vaccine would reduce the effect but emphatically not stop you catching it or being infectious. How can it stop you catching it, if what it does is kill it (slowly) when you've got it? You've got to get infected before it does it's stuff  and while it's doing it, you are going to be able to pass it on. And be ill.

One of the new ones it seems might protect you completely, presumably by killing it straight away, but the early ones like AZ and Pfizer certainly don't.

That's why you get told not to change your behaviour when you get the jab, and why we'll be wearing masks and distancing a while yet.

I thought literally everybody knew this by now, it's been said often enough, but maybe the comics most people read don't print anything except celebrity drivel, and no-one listens to the boffins, even the ones who make the stuff. It's no wonder there's been wave after wave of it.

30 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

There have been quite a few posts by Justin claiming two weeks.  I've not seen any official guidance that states two weeks though - two months is more like it for one jab.

I thought the official guidance says it is not safe at all to mingle until it is proven the vacine stops the spread from person to person .....so that peeps stay at home.

Of course it is bound to be more positive than this and we should be able to mingle (at least with other peeps who have had the vacine) but the gov cant afford to say any more as it will just lead to loads of 'mingling'.

In the meantime I will mingle on my own.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I thought the official guidance says it is not safe at all to mingle until it is proven the vacine stops the spread from person to person .....so that peeps stay at home.

Of course it is bound to be more positive than this and we should be able to mingle (at least with other peeps who have had the vacine) but the gov cant afford to say any more as it will just lead to loads of 'mingling'.

In the meantime I will mingle on my own.

I foresee a bit of a problem with "you can mingle with others who have been vaccinated".    How do you prove any group of people have been vaccinated and not merely carrying somebody else's little card we are given when vaccinated.   IMO to say those vaccinated can mingle would be a free for all with the same effect as totally removing restrictions on mingling.

Articles have been written by those who invented and produced working vaccines. Professors who have studied the transmission of infectious diseases have gone on TV and pontificated. Doctors have screamed blue murder about it all. 

And yet there seem still to be people who apparently have no idea what a virus might be, or how it's transmitted, or what a vaccine does, or how it works or even what it is. You'd really think that having gone through a year of this, people might show an interest. I am truly, truly shocked by the level of ignorance, both on here and elsewhere. It's an ignorance that, bearing mind our average ages, can kill you and your relatives, or leave them suffering heart and lung damage for the rest of their shortened lives.

Never mind. It's no worse than a cold. Most people don't know they've got it. 98% recover. It's a plot to control you. I mention something that has been repeated almost daily for an entire year and I get a WTF?

It's not just the virus killing people, it's self-indulgent, wilful ignorance.

• Greenie 3

30 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

AZ and Oxford have always said that their vaccine would reduce the effect but emphatically not stop you catching it or being infectious. How can it stop you catching it, if what it does is kill it (slowly) when you've got it? You've got to get infected before it does it's stuff  and while it's doing it, you are going to be able to pass it on. And be ill.

That's a lucid explanation which makes sense. So, though in common parlance people say "I've had a flu vaccination so I don't get the flu", what they really mean is "I've had  a flu vaccination so I shall get the flu but only briefly and mildly"?

I do apologise if I displayed ignorance but, as I've mentioned before, I'm not a scientist, so it wasn't wilful.

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's a lucid explanation which makes sense. So, though in common parlance people say "I've had a flu vaccination so I don't get the flu", what they really mean is "I've had  a flu vaccination so I shall get the flu but only briefly and mildly"?

I do apologise if I displayed ignorance but, as I've mentioned before, I'm not a scientist.

There is however a school of thought that suggests if you are vaccinated the amount of 'virus' in your body is less and there fore the viral load you carry is less and correspondingly the ability to then transmit to another person is lessened.

This is currently under investigation. But as I posted elsewhere it is indeed possible vaccination could reduce transmission and infection rates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55913913

Edited by The Happy Nomad

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Articles have been written by those who invented and produced working vaccines. Professors who have studied the transmission of infectious diseases have gone on TV and pontificated. Doctors have screamed blue murder about it all. 

And yet there seem still to be people who apparently have no idea what a virus might be, or how it's transmitted, or what a vaccine does, or how it works or even what it is. You'd really think that having gone through a year of this, people might show an interest. I am truly, truly shocked by the level of ignorance, both on here and elsewhere. It's an ignorance that, bearing mind our average ages, can kill you and your relatives, or leave them suffering heart and lung damage for the rest of their shortened lives.

Never mind. It's no worse than a cold. Most people don't know they've got it. 98% recover. It's a plot to control you. I mention something that has been repeated almost daily for an entire year and I get a WTF?

It's not just the virus killing people, it's self-indulgent, wilful ignorance.

Spot on there.  I'm well below the average forum age, but my parents aren't.  They haven't got a clue and can barely pronounce 'coronavirus' most of the time.  If it's mentioned, the typical response, is "oh, is that all still going on?"

:banghead:

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Perhaps not quite partying it up, but certainly many people will want to resume contact with their friends and family in person rather than at the end of a telephone line. Has their been guidance on how soon after the vaccination it is safe to mingle? I did read two weeks, but I'm unsure of the source of that information.

Until lockdown restrictions are lifted, mingling is very much against the law.  Legally, mingling has nothing to do with the vaccine and everything to do with lockdown/tiers.  If a group of vaccinated people mingle, and one is carrying the virus, there's a fair chance they'll spread it between them and then pass it to someone who hasn't been vaccinated.  Please don't do that.  It renders everything we've gone through largely pointless.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's a lucid explanation which makes sense. So, though in common parlance people say "I've had a flu vaccination so I don't get the flu", what they really mean is "I've had  a flu vaccination so I may shall get the flu but only briefly and mildly"?

I do apologise if I displayed ignorance but, as I've mentioned before, I'm not a scientist, so it wasn't wilful.

That is nearer correct for you Athy.   Having a vaccination for flu doesn't guarantee you will get flu.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That is nearer correct for you Athy.   Having a vaccination for flu doesn't guarantee you will get flu.

How about "So if I get flu it will be briefly and mildly"?

Edited by Athy

On 17/02/2021 at 16:06, doratheexplorer said:

Until lockdown restrictions are lifted, mingling is very much against the law.  Legally, mingling has nothing to do with the vaccine and everything to do with lockdown/tiers.  If a group of vaccinated people mingle, and one is carrying the virus, there's a fair chance they'll spread it between them and then pass it to someone who hasn't been vaccinated.  Please don't do that.  It renders everything we've gone through largely pointless.

Indeed this is the law and indeed this is what we must do. Spot on  -  no discussion.

I would be gob-smacked however if this is the position in the future. The vaccine should stop the growth of the virus in your body to the point where there is little viral load so There is little to infect others when you mingle. This what other vaccines do. Problem is that this has not been proven yet so the need to be ultra cautious and not mingle now. The results coming out of Israel apparantley are saying that the vaccine does reduce spread but no one has bothered to show us any data, not that that would be any use as the press has been crap at passing on real data ......i.e. Where is the data showing where the main transmission was at the start of the 3 rd phase.....in schools?, in pubs?, in multigenerational housing?

We should be seeing data on transmission in the UK in the next 3-4 weeks.

• Greenie 1

having the flu jab reduces the severity of the flu .and over the years in our case its does just that.so in my understanding  the  covid jab will do much the same thing and more ,yes .im  not a .  scientist.im just some one who listens to the people who know much more then me .and i do as they tell me .be it the right or wrong way .i will always take the scientist advice .and never the advice of some of the clowns on here stay safe .them that dont want to heed what we are told join the circus 

• Greenie 2