Couple of dozen wrought iron windlasses anyone want them ?

magnetman

Featured Posts

I've got a load of really old magnet found windlasses I can't accommodate. Not going to eBay them as did that before and it didn't work. Would prefer to give them to someone who would like them. 

They are in varying condition none of them useable due to corrosion and the majority are old Grand Union size. Very old lock keys these are. 

Just occurred to me someone here might want them for garden decoration or something. 

Anyway if anyone is interested send me a PM and we can arrange collection . Otherwise I might just drop them back in the cut which I suppose would be a bit counterproductive. 

They are in London E14 and in a sack . Not really a courier job. 

Definitely worth talking with Martin and or Roger Fuller in Stone. Martin is a serious windlass enthusiast and has a museum collection! 
A Google search Roger Fuller Stone will give you the contact details.

12 hours ago, Toe Rag said:

Definitely worth talking with Martin and or Roger Fuller in Stone. Martin is a serious windlass enthusiast and has a museum collection! 
A Google search Roger Fuller Stone will give you the contact details.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's interesting as I believe my old narrow boat Orianne is at his yard. Might even think about delivering them if I could get to see that boat again. Early motorised Bantock horse boat with both original ends. Lovely boat. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Thanks for the suggestion. That's interesting as I believe my old narrow boat Orianne is at his yard. Might even think about delivering them if I could get to see that boat again. Early motorised Bantock horse boat with both original ends. Lovely boat. 

I remember when Martin Lehman owned it, wondered where she ended up. 

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You will find Roger Fuller on Facebook, he posts most days on the progress he is making with his road roller https://www.facebook.com/roger.fuller.144/posts/4184832448211611

If you decide not to go to Roger Fullers, I could help with transport, should he want them. I live in Hackney but have canal contacts in Staffs. I'm sure we could get them to him.

1 hour ago, monkeyhanger said:

If you decide not to go to Roger Fullers, I could help with transport, should he want them. I live in Hackney but have canal contacts in Staffs. I'm sure we could get them to him.

If it was me I would take them myself just to get a look round his museum

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, BWM said:

I remember when Martin Lehman owned it, wondered where she ended up. 

My mum and I bought it off Digby Cull who was Martin "Screamin" Leaman's mate when Martin had the little slice of land below Black Jack's lock. 

Prior to that it sat at Common moor Croxley for quite a while when the Turner V4 engine was wrecked via an uncapped vertical exhaust pipe. Then she had a Sabb 2G then the Petter PJ4 with self changing gears gearbox (like a car clutch). I think it got a Ruston after that. 

Nice that it is still in one piece I did fear it might end up being cut. 

I did take Orianne single handed from Ricky up to Stafford and back plus down the Thames in my brief ownership. A wonderful old boat. 

Lovely boat to steer. It felt like the real thing. Best memory was a bridge hole near Gayton with a Northwich Trader Sabrina coming other way and neither of us gave way. Yes those bridge holes are about 14ft wide. No problems and we both ended up grinning about it. 

Happy days. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Happy 1