Special 'Houseboat' boat for sale

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

An elegant motor yacht described as a ‘treasure of American yachting history’ has sailed on to the marketplace. 

‘BB’ was designed and built by John Trumpy, the ‘Rolls-Royce of American yachting’, in 1947 and has just undergone a $4million (£2.9million) restoration to return her to her original splendour.  She was understatedly called a 'houseboat' by her designers because she offered her owners all the comforts of home.

BB was originally put on the market for $3.9million, but is now for sale for $2million (£1.45million). The owner restored the boat hoping to sail her in the Bahamas for the next 20 years, but then caught Covid and realised he'd be too frail to use it, so he put it up for sale. He restored it out of love knowing he would probably never make the money back, 

The BB has guest accommodation for up to six people. Plus, there are crew quarters comprising two separate crew cabins that share a bathroom and a Captain's Cabin

Full details and 'loadsa' pictures

Treasure of maritime history for sale: Classic motor yacht built in 1947 on the market for $2million | Daily Mail Online

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

I think its a bit boxy really but that's just my opinion.  I always feel that magnificent though it is that is an awful lot of mahogany cut down for a bit of an indulgence but I suppose my own modest little boat is full of things that are hardly environmentally wonderful. And what on earth are isinglass curtains? 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Curtains made from gelatin taken from Fish skin - often Sturgeon.

(Also used in brewing beer)

In fact, isinglass curtains were made from a form of celluloid and now from vinyl - no fish (or whales) are hurt in the production of the curtains. You can safely ride in the Surrey with the fringe on top without offending against any vegetarian/vegan principles. https://classroom.synonym.com/what-are-isinglass-curtains-12081088.html

4 minutes ago, Paul Evans said:

In fact, isinglass curtains were made from a form of celluloid and now from vinyl - no fish (or whales) are hurt in the production of the curtains. You can safely ride in the Surrey with the fringe on top without offending against any vegetarian/vegan principles. https://classroom.synonym.com/what-are-isinglass-curtains-12081088.html

From YOUR link :

Isinglass is a semitransparent material formed by cleaning and drying the air bladders of fish such as sturgeon and cod. The substance is used in clarifying wine and beer and making glues and cement. Isinglass is also a synonym for any transparent material that is used to bring sunlight indoors while providing protection from the wind, rain and cold.

And from further down:

"Hard tops and safety glass windows replaced the canopy tops with isinglass curtains in the 1930’s. Today, isinglass curtains are the vinyl windows zipped into the canvas top used on a motorboat. These curtains can be rolled up and stored when the boat is in dry dock or when the weather is nice. They can be unrolled and zipped into place any time "there is a change in the weather." They hold tight against boat speeds up to 30 knots and a driving rain."