Jump to content

Woke up this morning and my water pump is not working.


Featured Posts

As the title says, I woke up this morning and the water pump is just doing nothing. It was fine last night and has given me no issues in the past. There is power on the boat and water in the tank but when you open a tap nothing. No water, no sound. Have checked for loose wires or any other obvious reasons why it wouldn't be working. It was cold in the night but it's been cold before. Any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whack it with the heel of a slipper. It might be a stuck worn out brush in the motor or a reluctant pressure switch. Then check you have 12/24V at the pump connections.

Edited by Tony Brooks
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JackShaftoe said:

Checked all the fuses and seem fine.

But do you have electricity at the pump?

 

My boat had the water pump switch hidden away in a cupboard and could have taken ages to find if someone had turned it off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

Checked all the fuses and seem fine.

 

How have you checked the fuses ? (Multimeter on Ohms ?)

Have you got voltage at the pump ?

 

Edit : Everyone asking the same question !

 

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Whack it with the heel of a slipper. It might be a stuck worn out brush in the motor or a reluctant pressure switch. Then check you have 12.24V at the pump connections.

Gave it a go. Nothing. Has always been fine before. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Higgs said:

 

Have you got any type of multimeter, to confirm you have power to the pump? 

 

 

No I don't. Guess I will have to get one.

 

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But do you have electricity at the pump?

 

My boat had the water pump switch hidden away in a cupboard and could have taken ages to find if someone had turned it off.

I have a switch under the sink and have tried it a few times but nothing happening.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

Where is it located? @Onewheeler's suggestion may well be correct but you won't know until you establish if there is an electrical supply at the pump.

OK so how do i do this. Assume I am an idiot that knows nothing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Take care but take a light bulb out of a fitment, disconnect both wires from the pump (often a chock block) and touch them on the bulb contacts. Try not to use an LED bulb.

 

 

AND, make sure the pump power supply switch is 'ON'

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Take care but take a light bulb out of a fitment, disconnect both wires from the pump (often a chock block) and touch them on the bulb contacts. Try not to use an LED bulb.

ok done that and nothing so no power I assume

Link to post
Share on other sites

"woke up this morning and my water pump is not working"   ...........................    you make it sound like cause and effect

 

 

should've stayed in bed.     :rolleyes:

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

I attached a cigarette lighter charger to the wires coming out of the switch into the pump and it worked fine

 

 

The power might be enough to operate a cigarette lighter charger, but it might not be enough to get the pump started. The pump may have seized. The pump may have seized. Or there may just be a current drop in the line.

 

 

Edited by Higgs
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

I attached a cigarette lighter charger to the wires coming out of the switch into the pump and it worked fine

 

That MIGHT suggest the switch is faulty but it could just as easily be further back towards the batteries.

 

Are the fuses torpedo shaped euro fuses? If so clean the tips and bent the holders together a little. Then when convenient buy a decent fuse holder and change. Blade types are good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't tell you exactly but less than 5. About 2 to 3 years at guess

 

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

That MIGHT suggest the switch is faulty but it could just as easily be further back towards the batteries.

 

Are the fuses torpedo shaped euro fuses? If so clean the tips and bent the holders together a little. Then when convenient buy a decent fuse holder and change. Blade types are good.

Blade fuses

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.