Woke up this morning and my water pump is not working.

JackShaftoe

Featured Posts

I think it could be the pressure switch or often they leak through to the bearing or the shaft that drives the eccentric. fine one day then they seize up. Not worth fixing just buy a new one and treat them as a disposable item, shame but they are built at low cost and sometimes you can fix them but their limited life means they are not worth bothering with because the rest is worn out too.

5 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

OP here. So I was trying to get a pin in and clearly water is in the wire and can been seen here coming out. Guessing this is not a good thing and why it is not working.

IMG_0636.JPG

New pump time. The water must stay on the inside !

14 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

OP here. So I was trying to get a pin in and clearly water is in the wire and can been seen here coming out. Guessing this is not a good thing and why it is not working.

It is possible the water in the pump has frozen, expanded and split the casing. Because of where they are it's unusual for a pump to freeze on a boat though unless exceptionally cold outside. Either way there is an internal leak somewhere and the pump is now likely scrap.

Before you go to the trouble of fitting a new one just wire it up and test run it unconnected to the water supply just to make sure everything else is still intact.

1 hour ago, JackShaftoe said:

OK. Well at least I know now. Thank you everyone for your time and advice. Any recommendations for a new pump?

anything but Shurflo.

Jabsco and Whale are among the readily available replacements.

jabsco par max 2.9 isnt far off, £81.50 from midand chandlers, 

Edited by matty40s

If you do decide to go for another Shurflo, which will use your curerent connections,  don't bother with an Aqua King, which are really only needed if you have sea water boat, get a Trail King designed for caravans and Motorhomes - only £50 on ebay.

I'm surprised no one has suggested taking the pump out and testing it ? 

I'd whip it out having turned off the water at the tank drained as much as possible by.opening taps and any drain off  points. Then take to the batteries, a  couple of bits of wire off the batteries or some convenient 12v supply touched on the pump wires.  (Being careful not to short anything out of course) 

If it runs then it's your wiring /fuse/switch. If it doesn't then test the pressure switch as Tony has suggested. 

10 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I'm surprised no one has suggested taking the pump out and testing it ? 

I'd whip it out having turned off the water at the tank drained as much as possible by.opening taps and any drain off  points. Then take to the batteries, a  couple of bits of wire off the batteries or some convenient 12v supply touched on the pump wires.  (Being careful not to short anything out of course) 

If it runs then it's your wiring /fuse/switch. If it doesn't then test the pressure switch as Tony has suggested. 

But, But, the switch space is full of water, it runs out of the lead when he pierces it with a pin.  Do keep up in the cheap seats.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But, But, the switch space is full of water, it runs out of the lead when he pierces it with a pin.  Do keep up in the cheap seats.

Was not clear (to me) if it had just run down the outside of the wire or indeed did spurt out when the sheath was punctured which seems a bit unlikely. 

Either way the OP has recognised a new pump is needed and it maybe he has a pregnant pump and a wiring issue....

Edited by jonathanA
Spellin

2 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Was not clear (to me) if it had just run down the outside of the wire or indeed did spurt out when the sheath was punctured which seems a bit unlikely. 

Either way the OP has recognised a new pump is needed and it maybe he has a pregnant pump and a wiring issue....

Im not sure you have looked at all the posts in the thread.

It was ages ago when I suggested the pump was leaking.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Im not sure you have looked at all the posts in the thread.

It was ages ago when I suggested the pump was leaking.

Yes I have .. but the OP hasn't established whether the pump is seized, buggered or has a faulty pressure switch and can't confirm that the 12v supply is healthy given the lack of test gear I'm merely suggesting a simple method to help remove some of the uncertainty without needing any filament lamps or multimeters ....

Obviously water leaking is not a good sign but not necessarily terminal....

13 hours ago, jonathanA said:

If the pump is pregnant that could save money if it has a new baby pump for the op rather than having to buy one.