Featured Posts

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'm not 100% convinced that ad. is genuine. I've fairly certain those pictures have appeared before, years ago.

But apologies if I am mistaken.

The photo appears to have been taken in the stone barn where Mel builds his boats, so possibly some time ago.

Both Mel Davis and Brinklow boats have "real pedigree", but in both cases much work remains to be done. The Melboat is a basic sailaway, the Brinklow a sailaway with fitted back cabin.

So if the O.P. requires a boat which he can use straight away, these may not be the best options for him.

On 17/01/2021 at 18:12, peterboat said:

Nearly new Johnathan Wilson shell with a respected boat builders fit out for me

Jonathan Wilson has moved to Stanilands, where Steve Ellis is, with your budget, that's where I would look first.

It's not likely you would get a slot anyway, but it gives you an idea of what you might aspire to internally. When I was looking for boats, there were very few boats that stood out on craftsman finish, due to my modest budget. Out on the cut, it's the same, there are a few really stylish boats, well maintained and with good paint job, most are a bit like mine, a compromise, and then there are boats which have fallen on hard times. 

The experienced guys on here always recommend a second hand boat for first timers, I went down that route, if I buy another boat, it 's difficult to know what I would change, I'm thinking about a Dutch barge, but thinking is as far as it goes, I'll probably keep this one for five years, then think again.

Inevitably you invest your time and your cash in any boat, that's the way it is, so you probably will keep it for a few years.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
On 16/01/2021 at 13:07, Tony Brooks said:

Unless you are an experienced narrowboater so your wants are based on real experience you may be better advised to buy a second-hand boat boat with a layout that you think you want and try it for a while. There is a very good chance that what you think you want now may well change after a while living aboard. When you know what you really need than buy new. However a decent second-hand boat is likely to be far more cost effective than new.

Cc cc Rd

Just now, LadyG said:

Cc cc Rd

Serafina on Abnb is of interest £110,000 is not so far away, and it's got a piano! 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.