found a possible boat...

grahoom

Featured Posts

ello.

well, this weekend i was out boat looking - saw about 6 - and two where possibles.

I've taken pictures of both and will add them when i get home from work.

one was at the very top end of my budget (if i bought it at advertised price) I'll call this one A )

the other was low end of budget range (if i bought it at advertised price) and this on e B )

Both are for sale from a broker

Now A ) has recently had a brand new fit out, looked very neat and tidy inside, wood burner, kitchen, a shower, portable bog, a little table in the kitchen area, and a nice living area that is open - so ideal to put a futon etc. There is a lot of storage space in the boat also, cupboards etc. From looking at the engine (i am not mechanic) it looks clean. The hull was blackened in 2006.

The chap at the brokerage said it recently had a hull survey and also the Boat Safety has just been done, but i guess from previous responses that I should consider getting a hull survey done myself...

Now B ) is a lot tattier, would need a lot of work inside, i'd probably need to rip most of it out, and and then do a new, or semi-new fit out - which as i am no carpenter would be a world of pain (but quite possibly an enjoyable experience, that I'd learn from). The outside of the boat looks tatty, it would need the hull blackening (there was very visible rust just above the water line.

there is 4K price difference between the two boats.

I can imagine that not much advice can be given until photo's are seen - but anything people think i should double check etc. would be greatful

(will also add a more detailed description of each boat when i get time later).

Edited by grahoom

ello.

Now A ) .

The chap at the brokerage said it recently had a hull survey and also the Boat Safety has just been done, but i guess from previous responses that I should consider getting a hull survey done myself...

The vendor should be keen to show you the results of the recent survey if he sniffs the possibility of a sale . If he is reluctant then there may be something in it he does not wish a potential buyer to see.

4k doesn't sound like a great deal of difference, and you might be able to knock a bit off the asking price for either boat, but doing that for Boat A would be ideal. Have you seen the other survey? Still worth getting you're own done but I'm wondering how old the current survey is, and if it's very recent, was it done by a prospective buyer? If so what put them off buying? Could be a good bargaining tool.

.......and one is 26 feet the other is 56 feet? Really not much to go on is there? You really need to have a suvey done of the one that youthink that your going to buy. You need also to consider the mechanicals in all aspects.
A ) is 40 foot cruiser stylewith Lister SR2 cylinder engineB ) is 38 foot traditionalBMC 1.5 four cylinder dieselboth appear to be built in 70's (from brokers info)
it sounds as though your heart is set on A).. and 4K difference isn't a great deal when you are looking at re-fitting, blacking, painting etc. Has it got a boat safety?
yeah A ) has boat safety - new with sale... so it will be current.my heart is set on neither at moment, but my girlfriend is trying to persuade me to buy A ) !!!
4k doesn't sound like a great deal of difference, and you might be able to knock a bit off the asking price for either boat, but doing that for Boat A would be ideal. Have you seen the other survey? Still worth getting you're own done but I'm wondering how old the current survey is, and if it's very recent, was it done by a prospective buyer? If so what put them off buying? Could be a good bargaining tool.
apparently the survey was done by the person who recently fitted out the boat. - it sounds like they buy old boats and do them up.... but i think i'd be safer looking into getting another hull survey at least. (or as suggested get a proper look at the one done and if they are reluctant then wonder why)

<<SnipNow B ) is a lot tattier, would need a lot of work inside, i'd probably need to rip most of it out, and and then do a new, or semi-new fit out - which as i am no carpenter would be a world of pain (but quite possibly an enjoyable experience, that I'd learn from).

<<Snip

there is 4K price difference between the two boats.

It's easy to think what you'll rip out and replace, think how great the end result will be. The reality I found is the more you remove the more you see and end up doing 3 time as much as planned. It takes three times as long. Costs 3 times as much.

And all the time you want to go boating. I'd buy A and over time personalise it in small stages.

Good luck in your purchase.

Mick

(I'm really NOT jealous... REALLY!!) :lol:

....apparently the survey was done by the person who recently fitted out the boat.

Right ... so he is going to be really honest, isn't he :lol:

It may be a good boat, but have a survey done by an independent surveyor. It will cost you +/- £800, but will save you in the long run if you decide to go ahead.

Hi Graham

No expert but from reading this and other sites, all things being equal, I would go for 'A'

Lister engine (we have a tame expert [alledgedly tame] on the forum)

Price difference £4,000 it will cost more than that to bring 'B' up to 'A' probably. Think of a number and treble it.

With 'A' you can live aboard immediatley and not be in a workshop for the next few years. :lol:

As has been already said, see if they will let you see the paperwork, only then can you decide if you trust it.

Whoah!!!! Good luck

Remember use your head not you heart, difficult I know.

Hi

buy A.

Apologies for bluntness but been there, played the game both ways. I am handy in the ripping out / fitting out department and I have still had very little boating out of a sailboat I bought several years ago, whereas I've had all sort of fun on a ready to go ex-hire narrowboat (BW permitting - still sore about that. This weekend I was also out shopping and I came down to a choice between what I am sure is going to be a lovely, heritage boat for someone....and the one I bought.

If you really want to spend your average Saturday doing about an hour's work then discovering a snag you hadn't forseen and the rest of the day sorting it out - buy B. My money would be on A every time.

Cheers, Jas

Hi

buy A.

Apologies for bluntness but been there, played the game both ways. I am handy in the ripping out / fitting out department and I have still had very little boating out of a sailboat I bought several years ago, whereas I've had all sort of fun on a ready to go ex-hire narrowboat (BW permitting - still sore about that. This weekend I was also out shopping and I came down to a choice between what I am sure is going to be a lovely, heritage boat for someone....and the one I bought.

Ah, you got a boat! That was quick. Want to tell us about it?

Haggis

Edited by haggis

so i phoned the brokers regarding boat A ) asked about the survey, they said they couldn't send me the survey, but i could look at it in their office, they did tell me the following - that it was surveyed in August 06, for insurance reasons - that the base plate was measured to be 6mm with some pitting of 1.2 mm, the sides were 4.5 with some pitting of 0.5 mm.

He also said that there was some over platting required from that survey, and that that had been done. So really, another Survey would be wise seeing as it was a year ago, and to make sure that it really has been done as suggested.

The Boat Safety Certificate was done in August September 07.

havn't done pictures, as didn't get round to it last night.

Think i will go and have another look this weekend and take more pictures and have more of a poke around - what areas would people really think i should check out? - i looked at the engine and it's easy accessible. - so will take more of that.

First Post !!! :o I would not buy either of them especially as there seems a far too close relationship between the vendor/refurbisher/'surveyor' and the broker. There are far too many suitable boats for sale out there without you being messed about like this. Overplating is problematic unless it is done very properly as often the 'patches' trap moisture and the tin worm works from both sides at once <_< It is also very difficult when often words in common useage - surveyor, refurbished, rebuilt, well maintained, regularly serviced mean different things on 'the cut' than they do in the rest of life (except for second hand car dealers, estate agents and of course prime ministers) so again never take the word of anybody as gospel - unless there is physical evidence don't believe anything). Having said that I/We have bought 2 boats in the last 4 years 1 for 18000 and 1 for 40000 both off of Apollo Duck neither had the sniff of a survey, one didn't have a current BSS and we paid nearly the asking price for both - so what do I know?Incidently, especially if Carlt or anybody else interested happens along - does anyone have any info. (up to date if poss.) on Star class Ricky Fournax(?)Sorry about multiple posts - I do have a problem with the site as I can almost never link to the site first time it often takes several goes before it loads up . This is what happened this time, when I clicked 'add reply' the 'unable to open page' box appeared.I resent several times until at last it appeared to send. I have a reasonably 'cocky' computer on a fast broadband connection using FIREFOX. Sometimes there is also a box which asks me if I want to connect to a page containing Postdata - I always say yes as it is the only way to get on the site. Sorry to be a pain. :o

Edited by PaddingtonBear

so i phoned the brokers regarding boat A ) asked about the survey, they said they couldn't send me the survey, but i could look at it in their office, they did tell me the following - that it was surveyed in August 06, for insurance reasons - that the base plate was measured to be 6mm with some pitting of 1.2 mm, the sides were 4.5 with some pitting of 0.5 mm.

He also said that there was some over platting required from that survey, and that that had been done. So really, another Survey would be wise seeing as it was a year ago, and to make sure that it really has been done as suggested.

The Boat Safety Certificate was done in August September 07.

havn't done pictures, as didn't get round to it last night.

Think i will go and have another look this weekend and take more pictures and have more of a poke around - what areas would people really think i should check out? - i looked at the engine and it's easy accessible. - so will take more of that.

Is this D*x and Sh***M? If so I would go for the first one. Ring an insurance broker or company, given the age of the boat they might insist on a survey before being prepared to insure it given it's age. It's nothing to worry about though if the overplating has been done correctly it's probably got another thirty years in it.

Stewart

Edited by Stonker

This is a very strange topic, the bloke that started it, talking about two boats seems very coy about saying anything at all about either of them, everyone else seems to be groping around trying to guess what it is all about.

I personally wouldn't ever buy a cruiser style narrowboat whatever the name was.

quick edit: If I was going to live on it I mean.

Edited by magnetman

This is a very strange topic, the bloke that started it, talking about two boats seems very coy about saying anything at all about either of them, everyone else seems to be groping around trying to guess what it is all about.

Ooh I think it's human nature..... <_<

Is this D*x and Sh***M? If so I would go for the first one. Ring an insurance broker or company, given the age of the boat they might insist on a survey before being prepared to insure it given it's age. It's nothing to worry about though if the overplating has been done correctly it's probably got another thirty years in it.Stewart
yes and yes - it's those two.plan on re visiting on friday to take more photo's - will upload photo's i have taken tomorrow.

John Orentas - you see, other people seem to have figured out what this topic is about - which i am glad of, as i have been given advise which is helping me out on a decision that is a big deal to me - if you've missed what this is about, then it's about two boats i have seen and interested in, that fit my budget, one being A ) the other being B )

I personally wouldn't ever buy a cruiser style narrowboat whatever the name was.quick edit: If I was going to live on it I mean.
this was my thoughts - until i saw the two boats... the cruiser would actuallty work for me how it's been done out... Edited by grahoom