Mooring Closure

RonnieF1967

Featured Posts

Hi Fellow Boaters

We are trying to overturn CRT/Waterside Moorings decision from closing our lovely moorings on the Calder & Hebble Navigation  at Broadcut in Wakefield, West Yorkshire

All of the boaters who have moorings at Broadcut are acutely aware that there is a significant risk of flooding where the moorings are located. In the 3 and half years I have had my boat moored there (10 months paid before getting the boat to secure the mooring from auction) we have been on board to safeguard our property in numerous floods, the last on the 9th February 2020 which broke all records.

We have not asked for anything more than options to improve the mooring site in these times and have never asked CRT for any assistance when in flood.

We have not been consulted or contacted prior to the decision to change them to summer only moorings. They have given us notice to vacate by 30/9/2021 but have not provided any options of where 11 boats can move to.  One of the longest moored boaters have been at the site for 25 years and if they are forced to move off they will have no choice but to sell their beloved boat 'Lingalonga' which is ultimately what they want to do at Broadcut.

If you could spare a moment to sign our petition and put your weight behind boaters who get nothing from CRT but mismanagement of funds and contempt for genuine boaters we would be grateful.

Thank you.

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/people/boaters-launch-petition-save-moorings-popular-wakefield-canal-3014925

Whilst I can understand your frustrations I think this says it all :

14 minutes ago, RonnieF1967 said:

In the 3 and half years I have had my boat moored there (10 months paid before getting the boat to secure the mooring from auction) we have been on board to safeguard our property in numerous floods, the last on the 9th February 2020

C&RT have a duty of care to their customers and with the changing climate and increasing number of floods, they have obviously identified that your moorings are in an area with ever increasing liklehood of flooding with potential loss of 'homes' and lives.

If it is not possible or practical to build 'flood proof' moorings (floating pontoons maybe ?) what options do you think C&RT have ?

I posted this in another thread running on the same subject :

I obviously have no idea of C&RT's thinking behind this, but, as a business owner I know that I have a legal duty of care to ensure that any risks to my customers are minimised or completely removed.

Even if your customers suggest that they are happy to sign something saying that they absolve you of the responsibility, you cannot do it.

It is illegal to 'contract out of your legal responsibilities', and in the case of the 'customer' they cannot 'contract out of their legal rights'.

Any such 'agreement' would be worthless in court.

A risk assessment will have been conducted and the findings (no doubt) have shown a propensity for flooding, in which case the boats need to be moved.

What benefits do you see C&RT getting from closing the moorings ?

What do think is 'behind' the closure if it is not the flood-risk ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The main reasons for the flooding being so severe in recent years is the lack of flood management by CRT. Failure to rebuild flood defenses effectively, a badly designed culvert which does not do the job for which is was constructed and arguments with the enviroment agency/CRT who's responsibility it is. Lack of dredging and river bank maintenance, a breach in the river bank close by has not been repaired which added to the problem. etc..... but they did manage to build a bin store for the site at a cost of £10K, which could have easily been done by a local contractor for around £1000?  Whilst agree with some of your comments, the improvements to the site would be repaid in approximately 5 years from mooring fees so really it just comes down to money ultimately. A fraction of what they spend on rebranding, stupid signs etc...

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I completely agree with this sentiment.

The whole organisation is mismanaged and if they had to work in the 'real world' they'd be bankrupt and in administration inside a year.

Exactly maybe collectively boaters should be looking at ways of getting some resemblance of customer service/value for money campaign going to make them accountable.  Some of their own workers have suggested improvements and get told to keep quiet. Local representatives have refused to put anymore hardcore into fill holes in the towpath as it just washes away in storms a complete waste of money.  Time for the little people to make a stand.

1 hour ago, RonnieF1967 said:

Hi Fellow Boaters

We are trying to overturn CRT/Waterside Moorings decision from closing our lovely moorings on the Calder & Hebble Navigation  at Broadcut in Wakefield, West Yorkshire

All of the boaters who have moorings at Broadcut are acutely aware that there is a significant risk of flooding where the moorings are located. In the 3 and half years I have had my boat moored there (10 months paid before getting the boat to secure the mooring from auction) we have been on board to safeguard our property in numerous floods, the last on the 9th February 2020 which broke all records.

We have not asked for anything more than options to improve the mooring site in these times and have never asked CRT for any assistance when in flood.

We have not been consulted or contacted prior to the decision to change them to summer only moorings. They have given us notice to vacate by 30/9/2021 but have not provided any options of where 11 boats can move to.  One of the longest moored boaters have been at the site for 25 years and if they are forced to move off they will have no choice but to sell their beloved boat 'Lingalonga' which is ultimately what they want to do at Broadcut.

If you could spare a moment to sign our petition and put your weight behind boaters who get nothing from CRT but mismanagement of funds and contempt for genuine boaters we would be grateful.

Thank you.

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/people/boaters-launch-petition-save-moorings-popular-wakefield-canal-3014925

Whilst I have every sympathy with the Broadcut moorers and have signed the petition I fear this is one fight that can't be won. CaRT will use the H&S argument and the lack of funds to protect the boats. As I said elsewhere, IMO Broadcut is no more at risk than anywhere else along the Calder Valley. Even if the petition succeeds as Alan points out if CaRT say the moorings are not safe will insurance cover potential loss or flood damage? One argument that could be used is that CaRT still advertise these moorings on their Waterside Moorings website. Seems some departments in CaRT still think they're safe? https://www.watersidemooring.com/331-broad-cut-l1

A bit thin but good luck RonnieF1967 - you know where you will be welcome if your petition fails.

I wish you luck, but IMO the chance of you getting what you want is precisely zero.  As has been said before, CRT are contractually obliged to protect the safety of their customers.  If they fail to do that, they risk being sued.  No insurance company is going to underwrite that risk.  I'm sure this has all been looked at by CRT and their decision has come about because they have no choice. 

The question is:  which other river moorings are on the hit list?

50 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Whilst I have every sympathy with the Broadcut moorers and have signed the petition I fear this is one fight that can't be won. CaRT will use the H&S argument and the lack of funds to protect the boats. As I said elsewhere, IMO Broadcut is no more at risk than anywhere else along the Calder Valley. Even if the petition succeeds as Alan points out if CaRT say the moorings are not safe will insurance cover potential loss or flood damage? One argument that could be used is that CaRT still advertise these moorings on their Waterside Moorings website. Seems some departments in CaRT still think they're safe? https://www.watersidemooring.com/331-broad-cut-l1

A bit thin but good luck RonnieF1967 - you know where you will be welcome if your petition fails.

Thanks much appreciated and yes will think about joining you guys if all else fails. ?

33 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I wish you luck, but IMO the chance of you getting what you want is precisely zero.  As has been said before, CRT are contractually obliged to protect the safety of their customers.  If they fail to do that, they risk being sued.  No insurance company is going to underwrite that risk.  I'm sure this has all been looked at by CRT and their decision has come about because they have no choice. 

None to our knowledge at the moment we are the only ones that they are targeting on the Calder & Hebble, Horbury Basin which is about 25 mins cruise away isn't being closed and neither is Elland etc.. . Thanks for the support. If H&S was an issue why weren't they closed in December 2015? 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I completely agree with this sentiment.

The whole organisation is mismanaged and if they had to work in the 'real world' they'd be bankrupt and in administration inside a year.

In the real world a positive management would be able to define its market and service, working only with those parts that are profitable. Public services such as the canal (like postal deliveries) are constrained by a public service obligation set by government. I suspect that a 'real world' company would have ceased to provide these moorings some time ago, based on comments made! I suspect that that is not what folk there actually want to happen.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Broadcut like Elland, Mirfield, Battyeford, Brighouse etc isn't a river mooring. The issue is the nearby River Calder floods 5 metres plus above normal in the worst conditions. It then overflows the poorly maintained and inadequate wash walls, flood banks etc and fills the canal which can flow like a spate river. The recently installed flood alleviation schemes higher up the valley have made it worse for the lower valley. A logical but costly solution would be to bolster defenses downstream. If that's not done it's likely February's devastation of Figure of Three locks will be repeated. If flood defenses at Figure of Three are increased it would be certain help protect Broadcut Moorings as that's where the river entered the cut in February.

Edited by Midnight

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In the real world a positive management would be able to define its market and service, working only with those parts that are profitable. Public services such as the canal (like postal deliveries) are constrained by a public service obligation set by government. I suspect that a 'real world' company would have ceased to provide these moorings some time ago, based on comments made! I suspect that that is not what folk there actually want to happen.

Tis true.

When  still working for a living I needed to cleanse our customer base, identify which were profitable and which were not. In the end I had to get rid of (close the account) of over 5000 customers who purchased orders of less than £25 value. It cost more in labour to handle these order than the sales value - let alone the profit.

I can see C&RT gradually, 'tippy-toeing' the same way allowing canals on the extremities to become 'unpleasant to use' be it too shallow, or 'inoperable' poorl;y maintained structures, these will be added to the list of 'remainer' waterways and focus will be put on the core 'busy', well used canals.

2 hours ago, Kendorr said:

Signed.

Question, have they ever flooded during the summer? It appears to be strange that they are safe in the summer, but not in the winter?

Good luck.

Not that I know of but anything is possible, thanks

46 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Broadcut like Elland, Mirfield, Battyeford, Brighouse etc isn't a river mooring. The issue is the nearby River Calder floods 5 metres plus above normal in the worst conditions. It then overflows the poorly maintained and inadequate wash walls, flood banks etc and fills the canal which can flow like a spate river. The recently installed flood alleviation schemes higher up the valley have made it worse for the lower valley. A logical but costly solution would be to bolster defenses downstream. If that's not done it's likely February's devastation of Figure of Three locks will be repeated. If flood defenses at Figure of Three are increased it would be certain help protect Broadcut Moorings as that's where the river entered the cut in February.

Well put and very very accurate!

Yes it can flood in the summer, it did really badly so about 12 years ago and put a boat called Pipistrelle onto the bank from the visitor moorings just upstream of the pub. I think that was when the scaffold poles first started getting put in, but 2015 was much worse. The boat was on the bank for 6 months or so as a crane could not get there, so it was dragged back by a powerful boat. For those of you who remember Gary Peacock, he posted video of the Calder running 4 to 5m above normal past his workshop.

I moored at Shepley Bridge then Brighouse for 13 years before moving to the North West last summer, thankfully before all the closures etc this year.

See This for video from 2008 of Pipistrelle being refloated.

btw, signed your petition, but having been on that area for a long time including 2015 in Brighouse it is only getting worse.

Edited by PeterF
Added link to video

I have just looked at the video, memory is failing me, it was Jan 2008 flood.

However, the river has been very high in some summer floods, I will not forget Gary's video, there were reports that the river over topped Ledgard Bridge flood lock on that occasion.