Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fender151

Mooring in Market Harborough

Featured Posts

Mornin all,

We are planning a short boat trip next week, we moor at North Kilworth and have four days free, moved boat onto GU late last year. 

I like the idea of taking the boat through Foxtons locks and taking a right into Market Harborough. I understand there are 48 hour VM's at the Marina.

Interested in any feedback on this short stretch of the canal and experiences on these moorings.

Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visitor moorings are just before the marina entrance on the towpath side.  They all look like water points as there are multiple taps along this stretch which can be confusing.  In the dry these moorings are fine, in the wet they become muddy due to all of the leaf debris that has built up over the years.  We have never had any "issues" mooring there.  If you prefer more security you can pay for an overnight mooring with the marina company. http://www.unionwharfmarina.com/

 

It's 5 minute walk to the Co-op and another 5 minutes to the town centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Fender151 said:

Mornin all,

We are planning a short boat trip next week, we moor at North Kilworth and have four days free, moved boat onto GU late last year. 

I like the idea of taking the boat through Foxtons locks and taking a right into Market Harborough. I understand there are 48 hour VM's at the Marina.

Interested in any feedback on this short stretch of the canal and experiences on these moorings.

Many thanks.

Yes, visitor moorings on rhs as you approach the terminus, also the option to pay to moor in the basin if they have space.  We have moored there several times in the last few years with no issues, there are also some nice rural moorings on the stretch between foxton & MH. 

 

Easy walk into town but all uphill on the way back if you are carrying stuff but it is easy enough to get a bus or taxi back to the basin. Pub at the basin was ok for a meal too.

 

edited to add, -see above post GRLMK38 beat me to it. :)

Edited by waterdog
cross post with GRLMK38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

St Marys Place has a good selection of shops including Sainsburies, Greggs, Costa, the indoor market, wilko, and the Blue Wave fish bar opposite coop wasn't bad last time I used it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

Visitor moorings are just before the marina entrance on the towpath side.  They all look like water points as there are multiple taps along this stretch which can be confusing.  In the dry these moorings are fine, in the wet they become muddy due to all of the leaf debris that has built up over the years.  We have never had any "issues" mooring there.  If you prefer more security you can pay for an overnight mooring with the marina company. http://www.unionwharfmarina.com/

 

It's 5 minute walk to the Co-op and another 5 minutes to the town centre.

Perfect, many thanks for taking the time to respond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We left 2 days ago. It was quiet down there because the leicester ring is out of action. Its 6 hrs from the end to north killworth on a deep draft boat, if you get a good foxton run.

Nice spot.

Going up towards Saddington, an hour each way from bottom of foxton is nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

 

St Marys Place has a good selection of shops including Sainsburies, Greggs, Costa, the indoor market, wilko, and the Blue Wave fish bar opposite coop wasn't bad last time I used it.

Many thanks, definitely up for fish and chips run.

5 hours ago, waterdog said:

Yes, visitor moorings on rhs as you approach the terminus, also the option to pay to moor in the basin if they have space.  We have moored there several times in the last few years with no issues, there are also some nice rural moorings on the stretch between foxton & MH. 

 

Easy walk into town but all uphill on the way back if you are carrying stuff but it is easy enough to get a bus or taxi back to the basin. Pub at the basin was ok for a meal too.

 

edited to add, -see above post GRLMK38 beat me to it. :)

Many thanks for responding, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The locks at Foxton are rampant in Duck weed at the moment. It is very quiet on the Leicester line at the moment, with little delay at Foxton. When we were in Harborough early last week, we were alone on the visitor moorings. A trip to Saddington winding hole is worth it. Never seen this area looking so verdant and the waters so clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnmck said:

The locks at Foxton are rampant in Duck weed at the moment. It is very quiet on the Leicester line at the moment, with little delay at Foxton. When we were in Harborough early last week, we were alone on the visitor moorings. A trip to Saddington winding hole is worth it. Never seen this area looking so verdant and the waters so clear.

Cant wait

....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnmck said:

The locks at Foxton are rampant in Duck weed at the moment. It is very quiet on the Leicester line at the moment, with little delay at Foxton. When we were in Harborough early last week, we were alone on the visitor moorings. A trip to Saddington winding hole is worth it. Never seen this area looking so verdant and the waters so clear.

Wasnt clear last week after we swirled through!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Market Harborough is lovely and the visitor moorings great, also just been there Tuesday this week! It's all very quiet along the Leicester arm, seems everyone has gone to Napton and had the same idea of avoiding any towns? No queues at Foxton in either direction. The waterfront bar in the basin was open and doing food every day. The arm does seem quite shallow as you get nearer to Harbourgh and the road swing bridge at Foxton was a right pain to open! But otherwise a very good time to go while it is quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we were on the arm last week and went 3 times thru that bridge. Got thru with a bit of sweat twice, third time mrs D was on a zoom call and I just couldn’t hack it, luckily a passer by came and put her shoulder to it. I’m not, as the young people say, hench, but pretty fit and despite having got thru twice solo, this time the far end seemed to jam on its base. Be prepared!

It is very a lovely stretch though, when you get there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.