Looking for replacement ceiling panels

Featured Posts

I'm doing some refitting in my bedroom, or have been, but need to replace the ceiling panel. It looks like this 

IMG_07062020_140146_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg.586a89b88688b3350ec39a93f57bc27c.jpg

I wondered if anyone knew where to acquire such a thing. It seems to be a plywood of some description with perhaps a veneer finish, about 5-6mm thick. 

Thanks! 

Edited by NB Caelmiri

It is veneered ply. You can buy it from any good timber merchants. The veneer looks like ash which has an open grain. It will need to be thin to match the curve of the roof probably 6mm you might get 9mm to bend if the curve is not too greater radius.

13 minutes ago, Richard T said:

It is veneered ply. You can buy it from any good timber merchants. The veneer looks like ash which has an open grain. It will need to be thin to match the curve of the roof probably 6mm you might get 9mm to bend if the curve is not too greater radius.

Great stuff, I’ll start looking for veneered ply then! Thank you

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Stick some fablon over them, it looks good, is cheap and not hard to do.

That's not a bad idea. It's only a part of the panel that needs replacing as there was a cupboard and the pipe to my old pump out which went through the roof. 

Just for reference, this is what I'm trying to fix. There was previously a cupboard fixed to the wall (which I'd bang my head on at any given moment). You can see where the pump out was. 

IMG_07062020_205712_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg.54d1a702a4ac7d0593719499208bd019.jpg

The bulkhead I've got a piece of 6mm ply to fit and I'll get some lengths of tongue and groove timber to cover that entire section. 

Edited by NB Caelmiri

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Stick some fablon over them, it looks good, is cheap and not hard to do.

You are joking. To quote my dad (and many others) "if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well"

1 minute ago, Slim said:

You are joking. To quote my dad (and many others) "if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well"

Depends on how much time effort and expense anyone wants to go to on a makeover. Doing it properly then so the deckhead would all look unifrom would mean replacing every single panel as any new panels will look different. What do you call " Doing it well " anything less than all the panels is just a botch job as is fablon.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Depends on how much time effort and expense anyone wants to go to on a makeover. Doing it properly then so the deckhead would all look unifrom would mean replacing every single panel as any new panels will look different. What do you call " Doing it well " anything less than all the panels is just a botch job as is fablon.

The nature of wood is that different panels look slightly different anyway. Cappings between panels breaks the eyeline and disguises some differences. I fitted my boat out from a bare shell with oak panels throughout. Each panel has a slightly difference appearance (all the timber was sourced at the same time). "Doing it well" is doing it to the best of your ability" If you do something to the best of your ability you can always console yourself with that thought. Anything less and you will always think "if only". 

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

The nature of wood is that different panels look slightly different anyway. Cappings between panels breaks the eyeline and disguises some differences. I fitted my boat out from a bare shell with oak panels throughout. Each panel has a slightly difference appearance (all the timber was sourced at the same time). "Doing it well" is doing it to the best of your ability" If you do something to the best of your ability you can always console yourself with that thought. Anything less and you will always think "if only". 

When I fitted my new shell I used meranti. However if I were to do a replacement of ceiling panels on this boat which is faced ply I see your point that it may be possible to not notice too much as my boat has wooden deckhead beams that would break the area up. Its a fair old job though and I recon a tenners worth of fablon will do that job unless the owner wants to impress himself. 

12 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

The Barry Bucknell approach then?

As Bucknell popularised DIY then yes, the OP is going to do it himself so you are precisely correct, have a medal.