Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mike the Boilerman

Custom VNC not working this morning.

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

It's only self explanatory if you know the meaning of the acronym VNC. I don't, so no, it's not self explanatory. Perhaps if the trouble was taken to spend a second or two typing out the words, rather than the lazy approach of using an acronym, it would indeed be self explanatory. Acronyms are fine if the user is certain that all others understand their meaning. Sometimes the acronym will be more widely understood than the full version. For example, any talk of polyvinylchloride windows might lead to confusion whereas more or less everyone would know what pvc windows are. VNC doesn't come into this category though. I don't know what it means, I suspect I'm not on my own.

So it's lazy if you don't understand it, but perfectly acceptable if you do? 🤷‍♂️

 

This is where a quick use of the search function would yield the previous threads on the VNC last time it broke and you could work out what it was.

or you could take the "lazy approach" of complaining? 🤣

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

So it's lazy if you don't understand it, but perfectly acceptable if you do? 🤷‍♂️

 

This is where a quick use of the search function would yield the previous threads on the VNC last time it broke and you could work out what it was.

or you could take the "lazy approach" of complaining? 🤣

Just making the point that it's best to not use acronyms unless you're certain everyone gets their meaning. That's all, no reason to complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

So which mod has got fat finger syndrome?

Do Mods have fat fingers then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Just making the point that it's best to not use acronyms unless you're certain everyone gets their meaning. That's all, no reason to complain.

but how can you be certain?

HTH TTFN 😘

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well if the truth be told I would guess the majority of people on here don't actually 'know' anybody else.

 

We may form a view about how the come across on the internet but I would wager lots of people are quite (very even) different sometimes to how they come across.

Having only been a member for a couple of months it is hardly surprising that you don't know anyone on the forum, but many of us do know a lot of members. I have been on the forum for almost 25 years and have met a great many members, some of whom I now count as friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Having only been a member for a couple of months it is hardly surprising that you don't know anyone on the forum, but many of us do know a lot of members. I have been on the forum for almost 25 years and have met a great many members, some of whom I now count as friends.

I have no doubt at all that is true David, but to be fair I did say the majority, (possibly even of the active members). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was something to do with my browser (I've use IE for longer than many fora have existed - but that's no kosher any more so I have to use Firefox which I DO NOT LIKE (and some of the others as well)

I'm a dinosaur and I don't care...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I have no doubt at all that is true David, but to be fair I did say the majority, (possibly even of the active members). 

 

 

In that case, I must be part of quite a substantial minority

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

In that case, I must be part of quite a sustantial minority

Me too 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Sorry David I have no idea what that means.

 

 

1 minute ago, Ange said:

Me too 😊

I think you are both being mischievous (or stupid) , it was a fairly obvious typo.  What I meant to type was  " In that case, I must be part of quite a substantial minority"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

 

I think you are both being mischievous (or stupid) , it was a fairly obvious typo.  What I meant to type was  " In that case, I must be part of quite a substantial minority"

 

I was agreeing with you! I didn't even notice the typo. 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ange said:

I was agreeing with you! I didn't even notice the typo. 🙁

Sorry, I should pay more attention. I misread your post and assumed you were agreeing with the Nomad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David Schweizer said:

Sorry, I should pay more attention. I misread your post and assumed you were agreeing with the Nomad.

No worries 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working now, but I note that threads that were updated during the outage (but not since) do not appear as New Content. I guess that will sort itself out as folk find those threads through other means and add a post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nor me.

I simply didnt understand but then I guess that makes me stupid.

 

Charming.

Ok the point David was making, as I understood it, was that unlike most internet forums where you are unlikely to meet fellow participants many do. This is due in great part to the number of rallies that take place, the BCN challenges and the number of banters that have taken place.

I too have met many forum members in person, and consider many of them lifelong friends. I may not own a boat any more but these friendships are a treasured legacy of our time as liveaboards. That's why I agreed with him.

No slight was intended on my part, and I'm sure not on David's either.

Edited by Ange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I have been on the forum for almost 25 years 

Has it been going that long?

uk.rec.waterways / Canals.com started towards the end of 1995  but back then forums were a thing of the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Has it been going that long?

uk.rec.waterways / Canals.com started towards the end of 1995  but back then forums were a thing of the future.

 

I was thinking that too. 

 

A quick check revealed canalworld.net was first registered on 8/3/2001, so David's claim to have been on here since 1995 seems rather ambitious!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Has it been going that long?

uk.rec.waterways / Canals.com started towards the end of 1995  but back then forums were a thing of the future.

OOps!  Bad maths 151/2  years. I joined the present forum on the first day, October 8th 2004, having been a member of the earlier forum run by Jon (also called CanalWorld) but I cannot recal how many years that ran.

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

OOps!  Bad maths 151/2  years. I joined the present forum on the first day, October 8th 2004, having been a member of the earlier forum run by Jon (also called CanalWorld) but I cannot recal how many years that ran.

 

 

Your comment caused me to  check, and I too joined on the first day - Oct 8th 2004 - having, like you, been a member of the previous forum. Unlike you, however, I have only met a very small number of members so I have no knowledge of the great majority of them, even to knowing their real names or what they get up to when not on the cut.  There was a move at one time for members to identify themselves when out and about by displaying a forum sticker but I haven't seen any of these for a long time. Does the idea still exist?

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.