Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2010

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngNewark Castle

having moored in Newark at 3.15pm 45 miles an 2 locks since 6.30am

More from the Trent this day

the Castle on this day in 1978

and in the dry dock this day in 1978

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
link, extra pic

On this day in 1995

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ash Lock, Basingstoke, the Ash Aqueduct and a bat cave

"The aqueduct was built 440 feet long, weighing 3,500 tonnes and contained towpaths on both sides of the trough. It spans the River Blackwater as well as the new A331 dual-carriageway. Construction had gone ahead after discussions with conservationists looking after the interests of bats which used to roost in the culvert which took the River Blackwater through the canal embankment. Then artificial bat cave was created at a cost of £140,000."

On this day in 2007

spacer.png

Marsden HNC Compare  3Jan2000 16May2001 3Apr2006  5Apr2010 and here

spacer.png

and Diggle flight from the train Compare 15May2001 15Oct2008 27Jul2009  2Oct2016

On this day in 2016

spacer.png

waiting to enter Standege at Diggle end Compare 10Jan1987 3Apr2006 21May2008 22May2008 15Oct2008 11Jul2014 3Oct2016

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic, links

On 11/04/2021 at 09:24, David Mack said:

... a couple of miles from Diggle.

Ah yes, Diggles ...

L0195_19790825_L02471s.jpg.a09954f726f0409f31fb425f9f017d48.jpg

... appeared in Mikron's Where's Our Cut, here performed at the IWA Northwich rally in 1979. Writing in I'd Go Back Tomorrow Mike Lucas  "had grown fond of playing Napoleon Diggle, despite the discomfort of wearing an animal costume made out of very cheap fur fabric. I had a request from a teacher bringing a class of seven-year-olds to Tunnel End in Marsden. So I could be seen walking up the towpath from my house to the tunnel wearing my Diggle costume, and noticed that the children were already there. I slithered down the hillside scratching my ears and behaving generally Diggle-like. Not only did the children not know who I was but the teachers didn't either. Not the right school party. Eventually, the right group arrived and I again ran down scratching and preening myself. This time the reaction was staggering with pertinent questions about my life in the tunnel as a Diggle who lived on mushrooms and brewed fungal ale." As You Do.

More sixteenths of April

Edited by PeterScott
link

The summit level of the Canal du Nivernais at Baye. The lake on the LH side of the picture feeds the southern part of the canal and is, or should be, around 30 cm lower than the waterway. A  second lake, beyond the first,  looks after the summit level iteslf. aided by a 30 kilometre feeder fromm the dammed River Yonne, joinging seme 3km distant beyond this spot. Not bad for a cross-country route way down the pecking order in France.

PICT0470.jpg

• Greenie 1

Today in 2016 we had a car ride out to look for the source of the R. Seine and it turns out to be from this grotto in the Burgundy hills. The Siren looks rather the worst for wear. It’s quite a tourist attraction and the land around it is owned by the City of Paris.

CD5C15A3-0521-4606-A352-44C883E751AA.jpeg

• Greenie 3

24 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1979

spacer.png

spacer.pngHuddersfield

Firth Street Bridge

before it was reconnected under the road to the Broad Canal at Aspley Basin

and the first lock on the Huddersfield Narrow

For comparison, the restored bridge in 2014

L2185_20140709_0010s.jpg.041a9ed6be9c7cb585129a55aa0d1135.jpg

Firth Street?  I've always known that as Wakefield Road bridge.

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

Today in 2016 we had a car ride out to look for the source of the R. Seine and it turns out to be from this grotto in the Burgundy hills. The Siren looks rather the worst for wear. It’s quite a tourist attraction and the land around it is owned by the City of Paris.

We obviously think alike. Did you also throw a Pooh stick into the water and wonder how long it would take to get to Paris?

Tam

DSCN0056 copy.JPG

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1