Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have sometimes wondered what these pipe bridges carry. Is it water, sewage, gas, or various things depending on the particular bridge?

Lots are water mains, one on the Northampton Branch was some kind of oil as someone drilled it a few years back

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have sometimes wondered what these pipe bridges carry. Is it water, sewage, gas, or various things depending on the particular bridge?

Various. Most of the high pressure gas mains seem to go under the canal. I don't know if that's because they are newer and fashions/construction standards changed. Most of the pipes tacked onto road bridges are water mains running along the road. Smaller, welded steel pipes are normally diesel/petrol/jet fuel. Larger diameter pipes are water. The pipe bridge at the bottom of Lapworth flight is the Coventry water main running from the River Severn to, surprise, Coventry. It also the crosses the GU north of Rising Lane and the Avon.  There's a huge water main bridge crossing the Trent between Shardlow and Sawley, probably supplying Derby and surrounds.

MP.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Various. Most of the high pressure gas mains seem to go under the canal. I don't know if that's because they are newer and fashions/construction standards changed. Most of the pipes tacked onto road bridges are water mains running along the road. Smaller, welded steel pipes are normally diesel/petrol/jet fuel. Larger diameter pipes are water. The pipe bridge at the bottom of Lapworth flight is the Coventry water main running from the River Severn to, surprise, Coventry. It also the crosses the GU north of Rising Lane and the Avon.  There's a huge water main bridge crossing the Trent between Shardlow and Sawley, probably supplying Derby and surrounds.

MP.

Soon after we moved here, the pipe bridge between Amington and Alvecote on the Coventry Canal was removed by Transco, tne gas network people.

They drilled under the canal and rerouted the gas main so it went under rather than over the canal.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

There used to be a very attractive arched pipe bridge across the Staffs and Worcs carrying the Elan Valley water supplies from Wales to Birmingham. But a good number of years ago it was replaced by a below ground canal crossing - apparently because of the risk of terrorist damage to such an exposed key structure.

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There used to be a very attractive arched pipe bridge across the Staffs and Worcs carrying the Elan Valley water supplies from Wales to Birmingham. But a good number of years ago it was replaced by a below ground canal crossing - apparently because of the risk of terrorist damage to such an exposed key structure.

I'm not sure I believe the reason, just because there's so much that's vulnerable if you start the process of cataloguing it all. Going down that rabbit hole will soon reveal any amount of vital infrastructure vulnerable to a few pounds of Semtex. Why a water pipe pipe and not oil pipes carrying diesel/petrol/jet fuel at 1000psi? Why that water pipe and not the valve chamber at the back of a field next to Devil's garden on the Weaver which holds the pipes from Vyrnwy to Liverpool? A quick look at a map reveals that the south-east of England imports most of its electricity over half a dozen grid lines roughly radiating away from London. Not to mention the elevated sections of the M5/M6. A modern country has far too much infrastructure to physically protect. The best bet is not to acquire capable enemies,  and if you can't avoid that, have good intelligence on the enemies you do acquire.

MP.

On this day in 1980

spacer.png

spacer.pngPool Lock Aqueduct

T&M

Compare

15Sep1978

31Oct1993

19May2002

spacer.png

Red Bull Lock No 42 T&M   Compare 14Apr2001 17May2002

spacer.png

and around Hardings Wood Junction

spacer.png

spacer.pngand across the aqueduct again - with the composite as 31Oct1993spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

52 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I'm not sure I believe the reason, just because there's so much that's vulnerable if you start the process of cataloguing it all. Going down that rabbit hole will soon reveal any amount of vital infrastructure vulnerable to a few pounds of Semtex. Why a water pipe pipe and not oil pipes carrying diesel/petrol/jet fuel at 1000psi? Why that water pipe and not the valve chamber at the back of a field next to Devil's garden on the Weaver which holds the pipes from Vyrnwy to Liverpool? A quick look at a map reveals that the south-east of England imports most of its electricity over half a dozen grid lines roughly radiating away from London. Not to mention the elevated sections of the M5/M6. A modern country has far too much infrastructure to physically protect. The best bet is not to acquire capable enemies,  and if you can't avoid that, have good intelligence on the enemies you do acquire.

MP.

I was never very convinced by the argument, for much the reasons you give, but at the time I was told that by someone who I believed knew truth behind the matter.

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I was never very convinced by the argument, for much the reasons you give, but at the time I was told that by someone who I believed knew truth behind the matter.

I can believe it. It isn’t necessarily the case that it was explicitly and solely done to remove the terrorist threat. Major pieces of civil engineering infrastructure require constant maintenance and renewal, indeed the Elan aqueduct has been subject to major work in recent years and is still ongoing. Those are natural opportunities to improve capability, reliability and resilience. Designing infrastructure to be resistant to terrorist activity is a real thing, but is mostly implicitly done rather than explicitly.