Antique Stoves

Moderne

Featured Posts

Hi all!

Just a quick question - I wondered if there are any rules / requirements that preclude the installation of antique stoves into a narrowboat? I see a few people already have antique stoves installed, but wondered about a new installation of an antique stove? I can't seem to find anything which gives guidance.

Thanks!

I think the guidance you need is in the B.S.S requirements.  Basically, stability(in must be fixed down), control of radiant heat(must not set fire to surroundings), control of CO emissions(to the boat interior), and most importantly will it work with a short flue? (one less than 1.5m)   Many household ones need a much taller flue/chimney to draw properly.

Bod

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Moderne said:

Hi all!

Just a quick question - I wondered if there are any rules / requirements that preclude the installation of antique stoves into a narrowboat? I see a few people already have antique stoves installed, but wondered about a new installation of an antique stove? I can't seem to find anything which gives guidance.

Thanks!

A good guide is here. It condenses several British Standards that can apply to new built boats that are meeting RCD requirements. The actual BS documents are ruinously expensive to buy, though sometimes available from libraries.

When you say antique stove, what stove is it you are referring too? An actual hundred year old stove would need to be checked very thoroughly for cracks, thin metal, eroded grate, warping, proper sealing of doors etc. There might even be asbestos in there, so a big elth'n'safety concern when doing work on it. Do you mean just a recent stove to an old design?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

I've never heard any such concerns raised before, though Jen does raise valid points. When our boat was built we had a 1934 Godin Radiolette fitted, and our (very reputable) boatbuilder never questioned it.

As for cracks, I have heard (including on here) that some cheaper brand-new stoves, especially Chinese-made ones, are prone to such faults.

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A good guide is here. It condenses several British Standards that can apply to new built boats that are meeting RCD requirements. The actual BS documents are ruinously expensive to buy, though sometimes available from libraries.

When you say antique stove, what stove is it you are referring too? An actual hundred year old stove would need to be checked very thoroughly for cracks, thin metal, eroded grate, warping, proper sealing of doors etc. There might even be asbestos in there, so a big elth'n'safety concern when doing work on it. Do you mean just a recent stove to an old design?

Jen

If it was made before the 1970's it WILL have used asbestos rope.  

Don't use a domestic vacuum cleaner as the dangerous dust will pass through the filters and blow all over the place.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

As for cracks, I have heard (including on here) that some cheaper brand-new stoves, especially Chinese-made ones, are prone to such faults.

If a stove has survived the best part of a century, then it is likely at lower risk of cracking as all the dodgy ones failed long ago. However, a boat installation might put new stresses on it that it never experienced before. Particularly expansion loads from the flue, if the seal through the roof collar is rigid.

Just did an image search on Godin Radiolette's. A very striking and pretty stove.

Jen

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Just did an image search on Godin Radiolette's. A very striking and pretty stove.

Jen

Thank you! I have always liked French things, and not just the ones which I can eat, drink or (in earlier times) date. When we bought our current house we found the stove in the cubby-hole under the stairs! So when we had 'Trojan'built, it seemed logical to use the stove in the boat.

Thank you for the replies and guidance. Indeed I was thinking of the early 20th century cast stoves from the likes of Godin, Chappee and Faure etc (typical example enclosed). I hadn’t found many references to antique stoves being installed, and was wondering why this was the case. They are typically very well constructed indeed and many survive in excellent condition, a testament to their quality & design. There are a number of companies in the UK that fully restore antique stoves. They present a beautiful and colourful alternative to the sea of black Morso stoves.

The length / height of the flue is something I hadn’t considered. @Athy, was this an issue with your Radiolette?

Thanks again ?

Stove.jpg

Edited by Moderne

1 hour ago, Moderne said:

The length / height of the flue is something I hadn’t considered. @Athy, was this an issue with your Radiolette?

Thanks again ?

Not particularly - we do have an external chimney,though only about a foot-tall one but in any case these old stoves are not much taller (if any taller) then modern ones. We had a Becton Bunny in our previous baot, and i think it stood about as tall as the Radiolette.

32 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

We have one of these:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-french-enamel-stove-faure-166699996

that we are probably never going to use, which we might sell, but buyer to collect....

What a marvellous excuse reason for a trip down to Limoges (or wherever in that area you are).

18 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

This is the stove that we like the most, it doesn’t really fit in any of our fireplaces either...

That's a lovely Art Deco stove. Looks like some of the mica has been replaced with sheet steel?

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Here's the Radiolette in Trojan - not a great picture I'm afraid. Apparently this model, with the bright-coloured trim, is quite uncommon.

Godin Stove.jpg

That is a lovely stove.

Interesting to see that Godin used the same parts on different stoves, when possible. The draught adjusters are the same.

A837868B-C61A-4F96-8F70-C53D47B3D1A2.jpeg

Some nice stoves popping up in this thread, we have just fitted this. I had a plate made up to fit over the open grate for safeties sake when we're out or asleep. 

As long as the boat isn't a new build and the stove is correctly installed i don't think you need to worry about anything. 

IMG-20200104-WA0003.jpg

• Greenie 1