Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
CompairHolman

Flooring ?

Featured Posts

We have some 20 mm solid oak t & g flooring to install, there is 18 mm WBP ply as a sub floor, is nailing OK for boats ? Or are there better methods ?

Any problems or tips anyone has ?

I’d think it ok. 

Some might question putting solid oak down. But I’ve had solid oak, tongue and groove, down for 3 years now and it’s fine.  Hasn’t moved, warped or cupped. 

Just don’t use nails longer than you need ?

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

:D

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I’d think it ok. 

Some might question putting solid oak down. But I’ve had solid oak, tongue and groove, down for 3 years now and it’s fine.  Hasn’t moved, warped or cupped. 

I've had solid 18mm Oak T&G laid on 18mm WPB for the last 10 years + . No issues

The problem that comes to mind with Oak and metal fixings is staining; the tannic acid in the wood can react to form a black stain, I think. Solution is to use stainless steel fixings, but these have to be used with care as they can be brittle. edit: Or brass

Others more experienced may be able to confirm or correct.

Edited by Sir Percy

13 minutes ago, Sir Percy said:

The problem that comes to mind with Oak and metal fixings is staining; the tannic acid in the wood can react to form a black stain, I think. Solution is to use stainless steel fixings, but these have to be used with care as they can be brittle. edit: Or brass

Others more experienced may be able to confirm or correct.

That’s absolutely correct. No steel in contact with oak unless you are particularly fond of black staining. 

Galvanised or nickel plated might be okay, not sure about stainless, but for safety just use adhesive. Brass nails would be too soft. 

Just now, Sir Percy said:

Sorry, I was thinking of screws.

I guessed you were but you REALLY wouldn’t want to be screwing in hundreds of brass screws into the tongues of flooring planks. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I guessed you were but you REALLY wouldn’t want to be screwing in hundreds of brass screws into the tongues of flooring planks. 

Line up all the slots and it would look good

I would not nail or screw it you are better off glueing the tongue and grove and leave it as a floating floor

52 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

T & G is nailed through the tongues at an angle, the nail heads don't show on the surface. 

And if pre drilled the nails can be other than iron

1 hour ago, CompairHolman said:

T & G is nailed through the tongues at an angle, the nail heads don't show on the surface. 

Yep, ‘secret’ nailing. 

The grooves cover the nails.