How long do you plan to stay afloat?

AllenTC2

Featured Posts

Governments have both a fiscal and political responsibility to ensure that non residents crossing into their country will provide a benifit to the hosting country

For tourists, as long as they behave, and if they fall ill or have an accident, can pay their own medical bills and their repatriation, then  the money and local taxes they spend generally exceed the costs of their visit, providing a net economic benifit.

For longer term stayers, especially for those only paying  VAT as  tax, the fiscal risks increase, especially in a country with a National Health scheme, where just  leaving the uninsured injured or ill where they lie, is not considered acceptable. The costs, and certainly the risks, incurred by such events may then  well be more then all the contributions gained. Border controls are therefore a legitimate,  indeed sensible way, of managing and mitigating this risk.

No wonder then as individuals approach retirement age and beyond, sanctioned international mobility decreases.

The political dimension is, the widely held suspicion of "foreigners", which like the "Laura N Order" debates worldwide, provide easy fodder for simplistic political posturing away from, and as a distraction from the harder more fundemental issues.

To the OP, the allowed summer six months on the English canals gives the best weather. 

You just need to buy a motorhome in North America as well and set yourself up for some nice southern states grey nomad winter touring as well.

Good luck.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

What bothers me is how all those people used to live all over Europe like they used to pre EU? Because they did whether you remember it or not 

Please do let me know if you find the answer and if it can be applied now and just remind me how many of them were there compared to the 1.3 million currently.

10 hours ago, Jerra said:

As I understand it it isn't enough to get you in.  A friends son married a foreign girl and she isn't allowed to come here to live.

No1 Son married a Fillipino, he works abroad but each time they come back it costs him about £2000 to get her a 6 month visa.

We have to keep providing letters saying that we will 'support her' and that there will be no cost incurred by "the UK" (medical etc etc)

As a married 'pair' she can apply for a spouse's visa but big costs and hoops to jump thru', but I think that's the route they are going down now.

If she has a minimum of £80,000 in a UK bank and can support herself then there looks to be some chance of a 'right to remain' but its all too complicated for me.

18 hours ago, AllenTC2 said:

Well, that's an option I suppose. ?

I have glanced over that UK.gov site, but short of working there, or perhaps studying, I didn't see anything about long-term visas. I did find something about a 'leave to remain' program.

Thank you all for the input. Clearly, I have a lot more researching to do. LOL 

What you need to do is marry a British girl.  All British girls love a yank in a uniform.  Haven't you seen that film with Richard Gere?

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

What you need to do is marry a British girl.  All British girls love a yank in a uniform.  Haven't you seen that film with Richard Gere?

Was that a proposition (or is it proposal) then? There hasn't been a CWDF wedding for a few months. Can I be bridesmaid please?

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Was that a proposition (or is it proposal) then? There hasn't been a CWDF wedding for a few months. Can I be bridesmaid please?

I'll need a photo of you in a bridesmaid dress first.  Photoshopped is acceptable.

(incidentally - you've let me down.  I was expecting a comment on getting "a yank in a uniform")

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'll need a photo of you in a bridesmaid dress first.  Photoshopped is acceptable.

Erm ,ok let me think on that.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

(incidentally - you've let me down.  I was expecting a comment on getting "a yank in a uniform")

Well, it did cross my mind.I even googled it, then thought better of it.

Oh, I have become too predictable, I will have to go and reinvent myself.............

9 hours ago, DandV said:

To the OP, the allowed summer six months on the English canals gives the best weather. 

You just need to buy a motorhome in North America as well and set yourself up for some nice southern states grey nomad winter touring as well.

Good luck.

I already have the motorhome. ? Maybe I could arrange some sort of swap with a boater for a few months?

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have, a long time ago. Three problems with that.....

1. I'm not an officer, I'm a Sergeant First Class.
2. "Gentleman" is debatable. ?
3. I'm not Richard Gere.

What is CWDF by the way?

IMG_3317[1].JPG

• Haha 1

?‍♂️ Duh! 

Thank you! That is literally the first day I had it. Drove up to Albany, New York to take delivery. At 35', it's about mid-sized by our RV standards, and despite having spent time in armored vehicles, driving it required a bit of a learning curve. LOL Like narrowboats, in most cases you don't need any special driver's license or training to operate one on the roads here.

1 hour ago, AllenTC2 said:

I already have the motorhome. ? Maybe I could arrange some sort of swap with a boater for a few months?

I have, a long time ago. Three problems with that.....

1. I'm not an officer, I'm a Sergeant First Class.
2. "Gentleman" is debatable. ?
3. I'm not Richard Gere.

What is CWDF by the way?

IMG_3317[1].JPG

The motorhome makes up for the lack of uniform!

• Haha 1

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat! ?

As a kid, I remember watching Dave Allen at Large and Benny Hill. I also remember watching Tom Baker's "Dr. Who".  There was an exercise we had in Germany around 1989 I think, where we had a squad from the 2nd Royal Green Jackets attached to our platoon. That was a lot of fun.....until we traded rations. Blood pudding???? But that is about the extent of my exposure to England. LOL

Edited by AllenTC2

1 hour ago, AllenTC2 said:

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat! ?

As a kid, I remember watching Dave Allen at Large and Benny Hill. I also remember watching Tom Baker's "Dr. Who".  There was an exercise we had in Germany around 1989 I think, where we had a squad from the 2nd Royal Green Jackets attached to our platoon. That was a lot of fun.....until we traded rations. Blood pudding???? But that is about the extent of my exposure to England. LOL

Black pudding! Lovely jubilee!