BSS electrical wiring requirements for ferrule

Clodi

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Sorry to be dim but what is RCD? I always think it stands for residual-current device

All boats built in Europe since 1988 must be built to an agreed standard called the Recreational Craft Directive.

There are exemptions for 'home builds' but unless you build it in accordance with, and certified to the RCD requirements it cannot be sold in Europe until 5 years has passed following its completion / first use / 'putting it on the market'. This is to give the opportunity for any problems to manifest themselves and should it burst into flames (for example) it will be the builder who is affected, not an innocent '2nd party' (it could of course burst into flames at 6 years old but "them's the rules"..

Safety (gas, electric, number of persons etc etc are all specified) stability tests to be undertaken, only approved engines may be used (emission control) etc etc etc.

The Recreational Craft Directive, Directive 94/25/EC on recreational craft, as amended by Directive 2003/44/EC, is a European Union directive which sets out minimum technical, safety and environmental standards for the trade of boats, personal watercraft, marine engines and components in Europe.

What is the correct way to secure a ferrule. I have been told three different things by three different experts. One said you must use a crimping tool the same as you would use on a crimp connector (Not sure mine would fit the smaller sizes), one said you should deliberately use pliers or even side cutters because they make a better shape to grip the cable (really?) and one said it is best to use the screw of the choc block to do the job (really?). So what is the true answer?

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

What is the correct way to secure a ferrule. I have been told three different things by three different experts. One said you must use a crimping tool the same as you would use on a crimp connector (Not sure mine would fit the smaller sizes), one said you should deliberately use pliers or even side cutters because they make a better shape to grip the cable (really?) and one said it is best to use the screw of the choc block to do the job (really?). So what is the true answer?

Which answer would you like, as they will all act as a spreader preventing the clamp screw from chewing up the wires, so probably all are acceptable, though a proper crimp is best. 

11 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

No 'expert' but I would suggest that unless a crimp-tool is used you will not get the correct circumferential compression needed. Use of pliers or the choc-block screw would just squash it 'flat'.

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Just thought I would add all the above are wrong.

Professionally I use something like this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143163971975

For up to 6mm

And 

Something like this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163618613502

For up to 35mm.

Beware ones like this 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133046906509

As they leave ragged edges on the ferrule.

Edited by Loddon

There are some bootlace ferrules designed to be crimped by the action of the terminal screw. I have used this type and found them to be fine (so far) 

Some  types even suggest they can be crimped or ‘lightly soldered’

I don’t subscribe to the solder is bad school of thought  -it’s better than nothing, but when crimp tools and ferrules are so cheap and easy to use why would you ? 

One issue often overlooked is the space needed for boot lace ferrules, which

might be a bigger issue than not using them  (IMHO)

Edited by jonathanA

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the International Electrotechnical Commission, ELV (Extra Low Voltage) is defined as any system operating in a voltage not exceeding 35V AC or 60V DC

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines supply system low voltage as voltage in the range 50 to 1000 V AC or 120 to 1500 V DC. In electrical power systems low voltage most commonly refers to the mains voltages as used by domestic and light industrial and commercial consumers.

ISO 10133 covers 12v electrics in small boats and requires terminals to be used on 'screw' connectors as per the section I quoted in post #5

Small craft — Electrical systems — Extra-low-voltage d.c. installations
1 Scope

This International Standard specifies the requirements for the design, construction and installation of extra-low voltage
direct current (d.c.) electrical systems which operate at nominal potentials of 50 V d.c. or less on small craft
of hull length up to 24 m
. Engine wiring as supplied by the engine manufacturer is not covered by this International
Standard.

The specification for Ac is 

ISO 13297 Small Craft — Electrical systems — Alternating current installations

(I can post a copy of that one if you wish)

But again nothing to do with the Boat safety scheme, please dont confuse it with the Recreational Craft Directive. The closest the BSS comes is for battery terminals that have screw clamps.

Edited by ditchcrawler

47 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But again nothing to do with the Boat safety scheme, please dont confuse it with the Recreational Craft Directive. The closest the BSS comes is for battery terminals that have screw clamps.

In post #3 I agreed that ferrules were not required in the BSS.

In Post #4 PaulC stated they were required by the RCD

PaulC then stated that ferrules were not required on 12v boat systems (which was shown to incorrect)

I don't think there is any confusion or suggestion that the BSS requires ferrules.

4 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

What is the correct way to secure a ferrule

The use of a bootlace ferrule crimping tool. See post #30. 

4 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I have been told three different things by three different experts

They’re not experts, they’re idiots. Sorry. 

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

One issue often overlooked is the space needed for boot lace ferrules, which

might be a bigger issue than not using them

Not if you use this type:

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/crimp-bootlace-ferrules/2114296/

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The use of a bootlace ferrule crimping tool. See post #30. 

They’re not experts, they’re idiots. Sorry. 

Perhaps I should have put the word "experts" in quotes. As a Chartered Electical Engineer I did learn very early in my career to spot the idiots, and in this case I knew that they were talking rubbish, but I like to think that I'm still professional enough, despite having retired, to admit when I don't know the answer to a question such as this :-)

• Greenie 2

I've just spotted in the link that I posted that despite the item being correct some of the pictures are wrong!

Could be misleading 

This is a better link/picture 

www.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322967544854

That will teach me not to go for the cheap one ;)

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1