who are we all?

Phil Speight

Featured Posts

My credit card lot phoned me the other day pointing out I owed them a payment. The call was from a "withheld" number so I ignored it the first few times, but gave in after the third go. Before they'd checked my Addr, DoB etc they said - could we have "aa" and "bb" from my passcode.

I said no.

"Not until you can tell me the 'zz'th and 'yy'th letter."

"Pardon??"

"Not until you can tell me the 'zz'th and 'yy'th letter."

"Why should we do that."

"To prove who YOU are!"

They were not happy! :)

:(;):cheers:

Absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to try that one

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

sommick I found with them sort of shower, when you fone them, instead of going all thru the hoops, press 3 for la-la-land, etc. just press zero and keep tapping the bugger once a second, they'll pick it up el-qiiko.

Sorry, way O/T

Course, you still wont be able to understand what he's talking about...

Edited by Amicus

Oh dear!! Just took someones (can't remember who, sorry, I'm too shocked) advice and Googled my username.

Apart from a few websites I'd forgotten about, it appears I'm also a member of some well dodgy swingers sites which unfortunately are in this area.

It ISNT me, honest, I'm not called BigRoj because of THAT, it comes from schooldays many moons ago when I was the biggest in the class!!

Oh dear!! Just took someones (can't remember who, sorry, I'm too shocked) advice and Googled my username.

Apart from a few websites I'd forgotten about, it appears I'm also a member of some well dodgy swingers sites which unfortunately are in this area.

It ISNT me, honest, I'm not called BigRoj because of THAT, it comes from schooldays many moons ago when I was the biggest in the class!!

Wait for it..........

mine is an old nickname, on account of my love for biscuits. My name is karen.

If/when my boat purchase is successful, I'll post a pic of it, me , (where you'll see my love of biscuits!) hubby and my lovely dogs. No secrets here. :(

Edited by kookie

dunno if this will work, but here goes. These are my gawjussss doggies. We're in for a challenge, living aboard! they are real water babies. me, hubby and boat to follow.

DSCF1673.jpg

there are 5 in there.

Edited by kookie

A question - and I ask it entirely because it`s something I`ve often wondered about . It implies no criticism whatsoever (unless it`s simply a way of being rude to people in safety which surely isnt the case.)

Why do people in magazines and ,more particularly , contributors to this forum , use false names. I can`t spell pseudonyms

this morning - or maybe I can after all.

Cheers

Phil

Bloody good question that,, my name is not sea and land :(

Dont know is the real answer, got me thinking now and thats not a good thing.

Andrew crosby means the man who lives by the crossroads. I don't. Magnetman means what it says and is more relevant to me and my interests than my family name. Why do surnames last for years and years? Seems a bit boring.

Back to the subject of who you are - btw, the dogs are lovely - would they like to meet my cats? I originally took refuge in the community I found here when things were very difficult at home. I used a pseudonym at the start because the police warned me that publicising where my future plans lay could be very dangerous under the circumstances generally. I don't know why I felt the compulsion to start contributing but that's history really but the friendship and care offered was a great consolation and one of the outstanding features of this forum. The advice, technical help and enthusiasm has always been exemplary and without the forum I might well not have had enough confidence to go back to boatlife.

When we started the new board I managed to register using the same name (which had been my occasional password) by accident even though the problem had by then been resolved. Since then I've always been open about who I am and where I am but for the record I'm Jill Shepherd, teacher (usually known as Shep even by the kids at school; although it's Miss Shep to them!) and have been for much of my life and see no reason to change again. :( For the rest see my other posts especially where I got horribly confused after returning from holiday and trying to digest two weeks of challenging posts!

HEALTH WARNING! (please bear in mind when approaching but I feel should issue this for the sake of clarity ........ :cheers: )

I do play a concertina, melodeon (very badly), fiddle, recorders and flute, so you may choose to stay away but I am friendly except when I'm tired and confused. I like to knit, sew and cook. Have been known to sing - sorry ......... ;)

Love Shep

it's an artificial medium what do you expect? I'm green and normal, go figure.
Hmm...can`t` say I understand a word of that. However , everybody, I don`t actually care who we all are , sex, colour , political persuasion - none of that bothers me ( and the extreme manifestations of any or all don`t interest me overmuch either). I really only hoped to see if there was one answer to something that has long puzzled me or several. Several seems to be the case - and some of them would never have occured to me and certainly didn`t exist years ago. It only troubles me when anonymous persons use it as a shield behind which they can be smart , or rude , or both. This doesn`t often happen here and it seems that many of the longer established contributors know each other ( and their little ways ) well enough by now for the signatures to be fairly well irrelevant. What I didn`t expect ,being a complete novice in things pertaining to the interweb ( yes - I do applaud Top Gear ) was that it has brought about a whole new need to protect your identity even in such a specalized area as a group such as this. Thanks all - most enlightening and putting lives to a few names ( I`ve got an aquatic dog as well , and two cats , and a horse mad wife and...........)CheersPhil
Back to the subject of who you are - btw, the dogs are lovely - would they like to meet my cats? I originally took refuge in the community I found here when things were very difficult at home. I used a pseudonym at the start because the police warned me that publicising where my future plans lay could be very dangerous under the circumstances generally. I don't know why I felt the compulsion to start contributing but that's history really but the friendship and care offered was a great consolation and one of the outstanding features of this forum. The advice, technical help and enthusiasm has always been exemplary and without the forum I might well not have had enough confidence to go back to boatlife.When we started the new board I managed to register using the same name (which had been my occasional password) by accident even though the problem had by then been resolved. Since then I've always been open about who I am and where I am but for the record I'm Jill Shepherd, teacher (usually known as Shep even by the kids at school; although it's Miss Shep to them!) and have been for much of my life and see no reason to change again. :( For the rest see my other posts especially where I got horribly confused after returning from holiday and trying to digest two weeks of challenging posts!HEALTH WARNING! (please bear in mind when approaching but I feel should issue this for the sake of clarity ........ :cheers: )I do play a concertina, melodeon (very badly), fiddle, recorders and flute, so you may choose to stay away but I am friendly except when I'm tired and confused. I like to knit, sew and cook. Have been known to sing - sorry ......... ;) Love Shep
Thanks Shep. I didn`t actually need to KNOW who we all are - I was merely intersted in why people through several centuries have used false names on correspondence etc. However , now I do know who you are - great , thanks. Your squeezy instruments frighten me a little ( I was scarred for life by the folk revival)but the fiddle is a welcome friend!Cheersphil Edited by Phil Speight

Im Andy Matthews, hence AMModels cos thats the company I make and sell models through. I have been boating since I was 6 weeks old and have seen the cut change a bit over the years. Some bits for the worse. Came from the Black Country originally home cut was the Wyrley and the shroppie depending on which boat I was on at the time, my grandad kept is at Birchills top lock and my Uncle lives at Wolverhampton Boat Club, H Foster if anyone knows him.

My love of canals and historic boats comes from them both, they were working boatmen and worked for most of the big BCN carriers as well as GUCC Barlows and BW, I listened to the tales and stories theyd tell of life on the boats and dream of being able to do the same unfortunately mine is the first generation of my family not working on the canals in over 200 years. I like tracing the geneology of my family on the cut and have traced it back through Barlows and the Fosters which became part of FMC, Bates who owned their own towage copmpany on the BCN and a few other boating families.

Im 6'1" grey haired (prematurely) and with a ginger beard (I have no idea where the gingeryness came from) and can be described as spacious if you are feeling generous.

:(

I've just done the Google thing. There are hundreds of me! Apparently, apart from being a helicopter pilot, a CEO of a big organisation, A radio presenter, A computer wiz and a noted writer of thrillers, I am also a convicted felon and arms supplier. These and lots of other activiries are listed under my name. The only one that comes close is the radio presenter, (used to be). What is strange is that I know my full address does appear in the net somewhere. Yet Google seemingly didn't find it. Give 'em time I suppose.

Tony

Back to the subject of who you are - btw, the dogs are lovely - would they like to meet my cats? I originally took refuge in the community I found here when things were very difficult at home. I used a pseudonym at the start because the police warned me that publicising where my future plans lay could be very dangerous under the circumstances generally. I don't know why I felt the compulsion to start contributing but that's history really but the friendship and care offered was a great consolation and one of the outstanding features of this forum. The advice, technical help and enthusiasm has always been exemplary and without the forum I might well not have had enough confidence to go back to boatlife.When we started the new board I managed to register using the same name (which had been my occasional password) by accident even though the problem had by then been resolved. Since then I've always been open about who I am and where I am but for the record I'm Jill Shepherd, teacher (usually known as Shep even by the kids at school; although it's Miss Shep to them!) and have been for much of my life and see no reason to change again. :( For the rest see my other posts especially where I got horribly confused after returning from holiday and trying to digest two weeks of challenging posts!HEALTH WARNING! (please bear in mind when approaching but I feel should issue this for the sake of clarity ........ :cheers: )I do play a concertina, melodeon (very badly), fiddle, recorders and flute, so you may choose to stay away but I am friendly except when I'm tired and confused. I like to knit, sew and cook. Have been known to sing - sorry ......... ;) Love Shep
the folk music bit sounds most attractive! Do you belong to a club?NickI called myself Theo because that is the nearest male equivalent of our boat, Theodora.Everyone knows that I am Nick because I always sign "Nick". My surname is Cooke which is posher than Cook but less posh than Coke.Everyone knows that I think Theodora is the best thing since sliced bread but is rather harder work than unsliced bread.Nick

the folk music bit sounds most attractive! Do you belong to a club?

Well, I play for Mr Wilkins' Shilling which is a local North West Clog Morris team and have been known to roll out for ceildh bands from time to time. I do play in Exeter and Sidmouth occasionally with friends. Our local session is at the George in Bradford on Avon every 2nd and 4th week in the month (or is that 1st and 3rd? I can never remember, d'oh!)

I called myself Theo because that is the nearest male equivalent of our boat, Theodora ......... Everyone knows that I think Theodora is the best thing since sliced bread but is rather harder work than unsliced bread.

's funny 'cos my cat is Theodora or Thea the Wee-er for short. She's skinny, smart and shy and very lovely most of the time (for exceptions see pet name). Her brother Astro(naut) is so-named because he's a space cadet and clearly not of this planet. He will be your new best friend should you ever call round though, which is nice ....

edited 'cos even now, after all this practice, i still can't spekkll

Edited by wrigglefingers

Jill (or is that Shep :() I rarely read through one of your posts without a smile ....... what bigger compliment can I bestow.

I don't know if you've read of my musical (probably should be non musical actually) activity lately, but it's a shame you are not a bit closer, as together with Roy's friends you'd be great to listen to.

my handle comes about through lack of a boat name yet. I was actually very suprised no one else had already claimed it - my real name is Sheila which by all accounts comes from the Latin "blind" and apparently I'm boisterous, funny, outspoken (yes I have the scars [not literally] to prove that ;) ) and a good sport - I also am a love to party and don't take life too seriously. Most would have been very true a few years ago but burning the candle at both ends in a mis-spent youth has put a stop to some of that. Blind? selectively sometimes and deaf - as a parent sometimes you ahve to be :(

I didn't "know" it.

Part of my work centres on information security, and my party trick in this field is using "social engineering" to extract information from the audience of sceptical senior managers, who are all certain that their personal information is a closely guarded secret.

The coup-de-grace of handing them an envelope containing their mother's maiden name (thereby proving it to be a really bad security question for banking) is a sight to behold.

Quite appart from the wodge of information you just gave, a quick review of your previous posts gave me a few snippets of information about you;

1) You are in your 50s

2) You are of Yorkshire/Scots descent

3) Your partner of 15 years passed away last year

So, I worked on probabilities.

Based on your age, the length of the relationship, and the lack of a marriage suggests that you had been married previously, so I looked for a Colin Priestley marrying somewhere close to Sowerby, and I found just one likely candidate, (Colin H Priestley, Halifax, January 1987).

I then asked my question. The social engineering comes from the fact that it was pretty much a dead cert that if I got your middle initial right, you would react as you did, thereby providing me with more information!

Armed with this much information, it then becomes a trivial (if slightly tedious) exercise to find a record of your birth, and your mother's maiden name.

If I wanted to go further, and steal your identity, I'd need your exact date of birth, which I would have to pay to discover (less than a tenner). Fortunately, I'm not about to steal your identity, just use you as an example of how easy it would be to do, no matter how you try to remain anonymous!

Exactly why I remain a nonny mouse.... BTW 'Social Engineering' is a hideous phrase. :(

Kookie

These are my gawjussss doggies. We're in for a challenge, living aboard! they are real water babies. me, hubby and boat to follow.

there are 5 in there.

Nice Cockers, can I also spot a Wocker in there, we have a Wocker and its a great dog.

Edited by HYBRID

gwwwjuss indeed are the bow wow's.

I failed to add anything about myself in the first post I put on why I chose stonehenge, but I am Angela, 33, an a Technical Administrator. Hubby used to be a computer engineer but after 20 years of shiffling around country to country on site working with customers, he got fed up, so when I got preggers with number two (number one (daughter) was from previous relationship, step son from his), it was a good time to do the 'full time dad' thing.

We also had nasty neighbours which prompted us to do the boat thing sooner than we did as we were going to wait until the nipper was older. I'm glad we didn't wait though.

I have no particular hobbies (boats and their maintenance take up all our free time), but love walking (when my collapsing foot allows) and boating of course, and have never looked back.

I have often wondered what motivated and started all of you to either live on, own or hire the boats we all see and love on the waterways these days. Would make for some interesting reading I'm sure!

Oh and I live in Hinckley, have done for the past 17 years or so. born in Walsall, relocated to Newport, Shrops as a kid and then moved here.