reflek flame

haza

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, haza said:

thank you all so much for your info on this .it as been very much apriciated .but i have flapped about with it so much ...i have got the guy from lockgate coming tomorrow .i just hope it will be all worth while in the end ..or i may have to put the wood/coal burner back .in .but at least i got 30 bags of coal and plenty of logs to go with it lol

once again thank you all 

And good to see you still have a sense of humour :cheers:

oh special thanks to mrsmelly on this one .dont now  what i would have done with out it ...now is that humour ,or sarcasm ...i will let you make your mind up on that one ...lol 

• Greenie 1

Just a thought, but what setting do you have it on? Due to the short flues on boats this type of stove will not burn with a blue flame on the highest settings.

Post #47 in this thread shows the flame colour I achieved after a lot of fiddling.

Edited by cuthound
Flues not flies

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Due to the short flies on boats this type of stove will not burn with a blue flame on the highest settings.

Is that due to them only having little trousers?

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Is that due to them only having little trousers?

Bluddy spillchucker, always interfering with wot I rote grrr. ? 

Edited by cuthound
Rote not vote, bluddy spillchucker still interfering.

as i was sitting here ,thinking .and hoping when all this nonsence with this reflek fire is all  sorted , just think now more ash  ,dust ,and all the other stuff that comes with a coal burner ..dont get me wrong theres is nothing with  a coal fire on a cold winters night i love it ...then another thought came over me ..out of all the thousands of posts ,from  our very nice humorist.friends how many have those or there  posts have actually helped any one, or are they here to just  put a smile on my and other peoples faces ...it lights the day up i surpose .more then can be said abt this bloody fire 

Just a thought, does the reflecks have a catalyser in the burner pot? I seem to recall that there was another popular pot burner used on boats, of Danish(?) make that was very poor in operation at low flow rates, but using a catalyser of rolled mesh in the centre of the pot aided vaporisation of the fuel and assisted flue draught. The Bubble stoves have such a component, and other stoves which used the concentric ring burners had the burner shells to provide the same conditions.

hi  just a big thank you again .for all the input on this ..all is up and running .the fellow from lockgate came and put all what i had done wrong right, he also showed me where i was going wrong . he serviced and tinkered with it .and was here a couple of hours .worth every penny .and such a nice guy also and would recommend .anytime ..

• Greenie 1

Glad you got it sorted.

Once they are working properly oil drip stoves beat solid fuel stoves hands down .

Just as hot, no ash and controllable. Running costs or very slightly higher  about the same as branded coal such as Excel or Taybrite.

What's not to like?. ?

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Glad you got it sorted.

Once they are working properly oil drip stoves beat solid fuel stoves hands down .

Just as hot, no ash and controllable. Running costs or very slightly higher  about the same as branded coal such as Excel or Taybrite.

What's not to like?. ?

Why then as they have been around for a hell of a long time do solid fuel stoves still outsell them by a huge margin? Go on any brokerage site or on the duck and look at narrowboat heating installed and ask yersen why ?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Why then as they have been around for a hell of a long time do solid fuel stoves still outsell them by a huge margin? Go on any brokerage site or on the duck and look at narrowboat heating installed and ask yersen why ?

Cost - they are 2-3 times more expensive to buy new compared to a decent solid fuel stove like a Squirrel.

Once set up properly they are very safe and reliable, don't forget their target is fishing boats. How long do you think a solid fuel stove work without setting fire to the boat in a force 10 onthe North Sea? ?

Just now, cuthound said:

Cost - they are 2-3 times more expensive to buy new compared to a decent solid fuel stove like a Squirrel.

Once set up properly they are very safe and reliable, don't forget their target is fishing boats. How long do you think a solid fuel stove work without setting fire to the boat in a force 10 onthe North Sea? ?

Naaaah its not price. There are plenty of 100k boats out there with solid fuel stoves, the extra is peanuts on a new build. ? Dont suppose you have a diesel stove by any chance? Composting bog anyone? ?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Naaaah its not price. There are plenty of 100k boats out there with solid fuel stoves, the extra is peanuts on a new build. ? Dont suppose you have a diesel stove by any chance? Composting bog anyone? ?

Yes I do have a diesel stove, (it came with the boat and i was sceptical of it at first, especially until I got it working properly). Before that I had 22 years of shared ownership boats with solid fuel stoves on.

Both work well and heat the boat up, but only one doesnt coat the inside of the boat with ash dust, only needs cleaning once a month and is controllable ? 

• Happy 1

yes they have been around ages , and yes i love coal and wood burners ,but after 20 years of making the fire up, cleaning ash and wiping dust away ,,,but the game changer for me was .some weeks back when we had that nice 3/4 days of nice weather .i was cleaning the fire .and as the sun was coming though the windows high lighting all the dust and ash particles in the air ...if it was not from the fire ,,it may have been from no house ,,boat work for 20 years . the fire as been on now nearly 8 hours on number 1 setting and its feels great ..not that i needed it on with this nice weather ..but new toys and all that ....

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Until we can't buy red diesel anymore and then you'll be paying £1.50 per litre for diesel ...

Not necessarily. There are several options:

1. Buy red diesel from a rural garage . Legal if put into 25 litre containers.

2. Change the metering stem for one calibrated for kerosene (heating oil). I can't see thrm banning kerosene for domestic oil fired boilers anytime soon and it is cheaper than canalside red diesel.

3. Get old cooking oil from my local chippy and brew my own biodiesel.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Surely the composting bog analogy applies more to solid fuel stoves, what with storing bags full of dirty stuff outside the boat for months on end. ;)

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely the composting bog analogy applies more to solid fuel stoves, what with storing bags full of dirty stuff outside the boat for months on end. ;)

Only if it is a log burner. 

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

2. Change the metering stem for one calibrated for kerosene (heating oil). I can't see thrm banning kerosene for domestic oil fired boilers anytime soon and it is cheaper than canalside red diesel.

4.install a logburner....... Dear Liza. 

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Youve lost the plot Hound ?.............or simply have the local coal boat put sacks of lovely smokeless fuel on boat for you.