Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, john.k said:

Syphoning......drive the world on a length of garden hose.......would you believe millenials have never seen or heard of syphoning?

I think anyone who has had to syphon fuel with a 6 foot  hose know that it's a nightmare, requiring enhanced lung capacity, a  container, preferably clear plastic, and a crane to hoist the fuel tank about twelve feet. 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't have a Wetvac or a any means of running it, one would assume if they were foolproof that would be a cheaper option than all the gizmos provided by Tankbusters and other businesses. I don't even think most marinas have one, (they could hire it out, a bit like Rug Doctor). Yes I agree it's a good option for DIY routine maintenance, but if you are on the towpath, and struck down by the bug, what do you do? 

Well to answer your question, I would decant fresh clean fuel into my day tank and take the boat back to my home mooring, where I can get the main tank cleaned of bug. But we were discussing what to do about water in the main tank, not diesel bug. Diesel bug is a whole nother problem. 

12v wetvacs are BRILLIANT. Every boater needs one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-m18-vc2-0-18v-li-ion-cordless-wet-dry-vacuum-bare/867FJ?kpid=867FJ&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_kid=92700031521312314&msclkid=16ea6eb9181e165cbf6d0caf1efe0128&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MPX_UK_SHP_MAN_S_ALL_Tools&utm_term=4583451660521096&utm_content=S - Power Tools&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=16ea6eb9181e165cbf6d0caf1efe0128&gclsrc=3p.ds

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think anyone who has had to syphon fuel with a 6 foot  hose know that it's a nightmare, requiring enhanced lung capacity, a  container, preferably clear plastic, and a crane to hoist the fuel tank to head level. 

You don't need to 'suck', try and think 'out of the box'

Simply use a 'fuel-pump' (hand grenade) used on out board engines and it does all the work for you. Once 'primed' the fuel just continues to flow by syphon action. It is how we re-fuel at sea without pouring and spilling fuel everywhere.

image.jpeg.87675966647938a5dd55b9e758aea95b.jpeg

Jesus ........... some folks have no imagnation or concept of problem solving.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well to answer your question, I would decant fresh clean fuel into my day tank and take the boat back to my home mooring, where I can get the main tank cleaned of bug. But we were discussing what to do about water in the main tank, not diesel bug. Diesel bug is a whole nother problem. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-m18-vc2-0-18v-li-ion-cordless-wet-dry-vacuum-bare/867FJ?kpid=867FJ&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_kid=92700031521312314&msclkid=16ea6eb9181e165cbf6d0caf1efe0128&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MPX_UK_SHP_MAN_S_ALL_Tools&utm_term=4583451660521096&utm_content=S - Power Tools&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=16ea6eb9181e165cbf6d0caf1efe0128&gclsrc=3p.ds

Great for anyone with a working engine, £100, and a shed for storage, for the rest of us it might be a good idea to buy something 240 v off Amazon for £30.

I've been cc ing for two years, only seen electricity once, we are 'up north' 

Water in tank and diesel bug. are related, they both cause engine running problems, and the bug needs water

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Great for anyone with a working engine, £100, and a shed for storage, for the rest of us it might be a good idea to buy something 240 v off Amazon for £30.

Also doubles as a box to sit on, or stand on! 

Of course the receptacle has the be below the bottom of the tank. That is obvious. 

My point is this - the video I linked featured a boat where the bottom of the fuel tank is on the uxter plate (quite common) so the engine is gravity fed. So it is a simple matter to get a container on the base plate to siphon water out of the tank.

Even if your tank is on the base plate, use a bit of lateral thinking......look around....there might be a ditch next to the canal or a nearby lock where you could use a 30ft length of hose (sacrificed from your water hose) and get the bucket below the bottom of the fuel tank. Or use @Alan de Enfield tip of rigging up a container of clean fuel to get you to a boat yard.....my point is if you use a bit of lateral thinking you can avoid paying £650 to get your tankbusted! 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Does your boat not have any electricity ?

A friend at the marina bought a pump (about £100) and does his regularly. Itis the filters that are the expensive part.

He runs his quite happily off his batteries (it is a 12v pump). It only draws 10 amps so it can be run off a single battery for many hours.

It was in fact his set up we used to get the water out of my tank when the Sea decided to 'come aboard'.

I subsequently bought one which I am using as a roving bilge pump, and, if ever needed, it will do the fuel tank as well.

Warranty: 2 Year
Voltage: 12 volt
Flow Rate: 40 Litres per minute
Current: 10 Amps
Suitable for: Diesel Bio (NOT FOR PETROL OR FLAMABLE FLUIDS)
Technical: 3/4" Port fittings, 175 Watt high power, Dimensions L 20cm H 15cm W8cm. Lift distance 10m, Inlet Diameter: 25mm Outlet Diamter:25mm

20210921-093702.jpg

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think anyone who has had to syphon fuel with a 6 foot  hose know that it's a nightmare, requiring enhanced lung capacity, a  container, preferably clear plastic, and a crane to hoist the fuel tank about twelve feet. 

First of all I don't think garden hose is suitable because the volume it would shift make sit more difficult to control and you can't see what is in the moving fuel. I used a length of 5/15 or 3/8 inch copper pipe bent with a bit of a bow to reach into the corners of the tank connected to a similarly sized length of clear plastic hose. The lower volume in the pipe and hose makes it easier to start a siphon by mouth and if you need another breath the bore is small enough to cover with your tongue. The lower flow rate and more flexible hose makes the whole thing easier to use. I think i had a meter of plastic hose and maybe 2ft of copper pipe. It was easy to find storage fr it in the engine bay. As I said, use milk cartons or plastic drink bottles. With a smaller bore pipe it is easy to change containers as they full up. Thumb over the end, change container with other hand and remove thumb.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

but if you are on the towpath, and struck down by the bug, what do you do?

You try to avoid the situation in the first place by regularly (at least once a year) cleaning/vacuuming/siphoning the base of the tank so you can inspect what you bring up and feel any dark bits to determine if they are gritty (rust/dust), slimy (bug), or hard and slight;y squishy (fuel hose degradation). It also helps if you drain and possibly open the old fuel filters at service time so you can inspect what they have caught. Both those should give at least some early warning of a potential bug problem. I doubt it took me half an hour to do the tank cleaning bit and I did not spill diesel either. Only got a bit on my hands because I don't wear nitrile gloves.

After the filter issues I had last summer, I made up a cleaning device using a length of 3/8” copper pipe, a length of clear braided hose, a small 12v vacuum (air) pump off eBay, and a large 25 litre plastic container. It was reasonably successful apart from the catch container having a tendency to collapse under vacuum - I really need some sort of much heavier duty thick walled container.

Here’s the muck that came out. These are 10 litre containers, first lot on the right. If you look closely at the right and centre containers, you can see the water at the bottom. Left it to settle out for a couple of weeks, decanted the clean stuff off and returned that to the tank. Had a proper primary filter fitted as well.

09C432DE-4661-435C-AFAC-BB76D7E69320.jpeg

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Isn't that 18v? (i.e. a battery that needs charging for ages via 240v for a few minutes' use, which is probably less efficient than just running one direct off an inverter)

Serious question, because last time I looked for a wetvac I didn't see any 12v options bigger than the handheld dustbuster size which I wasn't confident would stand up to much.

14 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Isn't that 18v? (i.e. a battery that needs charging for ages via 240v for a few minutes' use, which is probably less efficient than just running one direct off an inverter)

Serious question, because last time I looked for a wetvac I didn't see any 12v options bigger than the handheld dustbuster size which I wasn't confident would stand up to much.

Yes you're right. Point is, it's cordless and it doesn't need plugging into a 230Vac ring main or inverter. So it's very convenient to use. Just take it where you need it and click the rocker switch to "ON'. Sucking performance is similar to a mains one. 

12v electric pump off ebay for 10quid.......I use them for everything from spraying poison to pumping diesel into the crane ..............id also be a wary of using a w&d vac for any flammable liquid ,as the air stream exhausts thru a brush motor for cooling .............furthermore,water settles immediately in diesel,unless you have emulsified the mix ............and any boat fuel tank must have a drain at the lowest point to eliminate water,and be drained every day...............

Cuno edge type self cleaning filter ......Im sure you ve all seen these filters ,with the stack of brass plates inside that is turned by a T handle on top of the filter.and internal scrapers.............if you get a blockage at sea,its usually cleared straight away by a full turn of the T handle...........i imagine they are pricey new,but if you look around youll easily find a used one ,preferably a big one,with a water drain cock on the bottom of the housing..............and even better type has two filter bodies ,with a change over valve in the mount casting.