Some questions from a newbie on here

tidal

Featured Posts

I'm seriously contemplating becoming a continuous cruising, singlehanded liveaboard.

I have had some considerable experience on the canal system and have singlehanded before and have lived aboard seagoing boats for a few years.

However, a few years ago i had a series of minor strokes folowed by a more serious one and whilst this has luckily not affected my mobility to any degree (well not now anyway) it has diminished both my overall strength and stamina.

This is making me think carefully about my choice of type and size of boat.

Having pottered about on a few 40 to 50 odd foot NBs and knowing that, whatever the levels of skills, there will be times when a bit of brute force is required (especially on windy days) I wonder if I may be better looking at one of the GRP cruisers (DC32 for instance) simply for the lower deadweight.

I have seen from other threads (yes I have spent a lot of time searching) that there are some differing opinions on the suitability of cruisers for long term liveaboards and to be honest I would prefer an NB (I like and am used to steering with a tiller) but from a practical and safety point of view would I be correct in surmising that a grp cruiser would be easier to manhandle especially on a long term liveaboard basis?

Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated

I'm seriously contemplating becoming a continuous cruising, singlehanded liveaboard.

I have had some considerable experience on the canal system and have singlehanded before and have lived aboard seagoing boats for a few years.

However, a few years ago i had a series of minor strokes folowed by a more serious one and whilst this has luckily not affected my mobility to any degree (well not now anyway) it has diminished both my overall strength and stamina.

Having pottered about on a few 40 to 50 odd foot NBs and knowing that, whatever the levels of skills, there will be times when a bit of brute force is required (especially on windy days) I wonder if I may be better looking at one of the GRP cruisers (DC32 for instance) simply for the lower deadweight.

I have seen from other threads (yes I have spent a lot of time searching) that there are some differing opinions on the suitability of cruisers for long term liveaboards and to be honest I would prefer an NB (I like and am used to steering with a tiller) but from a practical and safety point of view would I be correct in surmising that a grp cruiser would be easier to manhandle especially on a long term liveaboard basis?

Whilst I am not a fan of them in general, you might consider a bowthruster.

Lightweight cruisers are more prone to being blown about sharply by the wind, and most, being high decked, are less easy to step lightly ashore from with rope than a nb counter. I'd say windage is more relevant than weight when controlling a boat with ropes.

Rick M

edited to avoid needless repetition of o.p.

Edited by Rick-n-Jo

I would say that if it is just for you to live aboard then a GRP32 footer would be fine. if its simply a matter of form over function, then given the way you have described your own abilities and preference for NBs I would say a smallish 35-40 narrowboat would be ok too.

Those smaller narrowboats seem to be much easier to single handedly crew from what ive seen , although ive not tried one myself.

ive managed our 57footer on my own and im not exactly strong, I think if you are organised, make sure you plan ahead to avoid having to use brute force on anything then you should be perfectly happy. And as mayalid suggested a bow thruster can be very practical sometimes. We avoid cruising on windy days too, it's not much fun in the wind no matter how big your crew.

a cruiser stern or semi traditional gives you move space to move about as a single hander, operating locks, bridges etc without having to risk jumping on the roof too much, i think they are a bit safer than a traditional stern in that respect.

It was always my intention to return to the canals when i could no longer manage to run the old tub anymore and a Nb would be my choice. No more tides to worry about or going 12ft up a ladder in drydock to slap a bit of paint on.

Definetly for ease of access from deck to shore, they handle very easily and if the weather is just too bad then its shut the hatches and get the crossword out.

Ive only ever handled 1 Nb with a bow thruster and to be honest i rarely used it as i never seemed to need to, however i can see that they would give some comfort value if manouvering is a problem due to health or conditions

You could even consider a narrowbeam fake Dutch Barge, with wheel steering (is this me typing this?).

Wheel steering is less effort than chucking a tiller about, a bow thruster would help with situations requiring greater effort and the wheelhouse is a warmer, drier environment to boat in.

I shall now go and lie down.

I have to admit I am no fan of bowthrusters. Having used them many times on motor yachts with wedding cake superstructures they tend to be just one more orifice from which you have to retrieve plastic bags and floating rope. But still worth considering in my situation. Thank you.

I take the points about windage and access on cruisers (is there really more windage on a DC32 than a 50ft narrowboat?) and I suppose that a "handy billy" could be used or yacht style sheet winches could be fitted for the odd bad day.

Hmmm, thanks for the responses so far, does anyone think (as my non boating family do) that there are insurmountable problems or that this is not a practical proposition?

If you can get on and off it, steer it, and moor it up then the rest is definitely not insurmountable. I knew a guy in a wheelchair who lived aboard (granted, I'm just too lazy to have been bothered with all his solutions to everyday problems). If it's what you need to do, then you'll overcome the difficulties.

We build boats for individuals with special physical needs where the boats are designed specifically around the requirements of the user if you were to take a similar approach there is no reason why almost any style of boat could not be tailored to make it more friendly for you.

A little bit of info HERE but I hope to get a lot more information on-line soon about one of the next builds of this nature we will be starting later this year.

Think youve already answered your own question there. Even a small narrowboat can be heavy to handle in a wind and its not always possible to do the perfect manouvere and stop when mooring up.

A DC on the other hand whilst certainly more afected by the wind is easier to pull in with a rope. and less awkward maintance wise.

Our first boat was a 25 foot Dawncraft, we then traded up to a 53 foot NB and have just swapped that for a dutch barge. I found that as the boats got bigger the handling got easier. The dawncraft was a pig to handle in any wind but admittedly easy to haul in on a line, the NB was OK in wind but did tend to demand a lot of effort to haul around at times. Thing is that when you move on to a boat that simply 'won't' be hauled about, then you develop the technique to manage it without that effort.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to live on a GRP cruiser. I would go for the NB and learn to handle it without hauling it about on the end of a rope.

Edited by barge sara

Posts 10 qnd 11 are very clear indicators of the problem I am thinking about.

I will agree with post 11 that if you get the techniques and manouvres right you shouldn't have to haul any boat around with ropes

However, even after some 30yrs on the water in some form of boat or other I know that post 10 is also right and you will never be good enough to get it right every time. (or do they?)

I also know that with the right gear and techniques you can haul any boat about with a rope or two (and that excludes using springs and the motor)

Admittedly there is not a lot of places an errant boat (even with a total idiot as a helmsman) can go on a cut but there are some awful expensive bits of kit moored up along the sides and most owners I know take a dim view of large lumps of boat bouncing off there prideand joy. And that exclude the risk to fellow boaters

Given that I plan to be CCing the chances of me making a pigs ear of it sometimes (doesn't everyone?) are slightly higher (which is why I asked the question here not on handling) and I am still unsure from a long term point of view which option is going to be easiest.

Maybe there are too many variables.

Thanks Gary for the link on building for specific needs. Given what i have seen on that site already, I do not think that any alterations or special equipment my slight problems will require will be too difficult to arrange. (it also helped persuade my famly that nothing is impossible) It has given me some food for thought too.

I am very grateful for all the replies and opinons so far and I thank you for your time and corutesy

I've never been inside a Dawn Craft 32, what are they like for headroom inside? I ask because all the cruisers I've been on required a bit of a stooped position to walk about and I'm not that tall. :) If there the same I think it would definately get on my nerves after a while.

As for wind, how many very windy days do we get and would you really have to cruise on them?

Personally, I'd opt for a narrowboat although, for many years I considered a grp as a means to avoid hull blacking.

You may need to restrict your cruising area to that where you are comfortable with the locks if you have a problem with your strength. I can think of a number of lock gates that able-bodied people have problems with.

Posts 10 qnd 11 are very clear indicators of the problem I am thinking about.

I will agree with post 11 that if you get the techniques and manouvres right you shouldn't have to haul any boat around with ropes

Just managed to fish my 'REEDS' out from under the bench and chuckled at your signal 'D' avatar.

On another thread about helping hands at locks i recon ill show code 'X' from now on :)

Edited by saltysplash

Roughly in order I think:

I've never been inside a Dawn Craft 32, what are they like for headroom inside?

you know I didn't ask :) I have spent so may years on yachts that I automatically stoop when I go below decks.

I'll look that one up. (Unless someone on here knows?)

You may need to restrict your cruising area to that where you are comfortable with the locks if you have a problem with your strength

Ah.......Hmmm.....I will have to think about that one a bit more.

Just managed to fish my 'REEDS' out from under the bench and chuckled at your signal 'D' avatar.

On another thread about helping hands at locks i recon ill show code 'X' from now on

:wub: Just had to wipe the spurted cocoa off the keyboard.

I wonder how many would understand nowadays

The idea for the avatar came from the Canoe thread :lol:

Is the point not that if the wind is misbehaving, you can just stay put?

Yes I get the feeling I may be overcomplicating the situation too. Old thinking habits sorry. To date whenever I have been on the system, whether working or playing, I have always had to get somewhere in the reasonably near future. No such restrictions will apply in the future.

Thankyou to both posters who have pointed this out.

Thanks everyone I have learnt a lot

I really think I need to have a rethink about what i want, and how to achieve it and stop worrying about what might get in the way

If you can find one i'd recommend a Barney boat, they are relatively light and handle beautifully and are comfy too and are trad stern which i think is best for a single person, not because of tradition, the boatmen were more interested in functionality and suitability for purpose. Higher license fee for cc boats?? When did that happen?

As my screen name suggests i am an ex dawnie owner , i also owned a full length nb , both of which i cruised extensively singlehanded.

I am now disabled and of the 2 would choose a nb any day of the week for continual cruising for the following reasons...

1) The space a 40'+ nb would allow you

2) As has been said any grp boat is a pig to handle in any kind of wind

3) you will find a lot more home comforts as standard .... oh how i miss my torgem!

4) most importantly a steel nb with solid doors and preferably portholes will deter most opportunist thieves....i cruise extensively on grp boats and unless you fall on a very good mooring with a lot of vigilant people around , you never relax leaving one , you also have to clear your decks (which in most cases you need to use the space on to carry a lot of your equipment as you dont have the cabin room) security has to be a major consideration if it is to be your home and you are carrying your worldly pocessions

5) heating a grp boat can be a major problem , i use eberspachers D5W and D1LC but they are not ideal

6) finally if some idiot unties you in the night you stand less chance of moving too far on a nb on the cut .... on a grp your likely to travel 300 yards and wake up broadside to the traffic!

best of luck

Rick

Is the point not that if the wind is misbehaving, you can just stay put? Continuous cruising doesn't mean you have to keep moving, just that you have to move every so often. You pay the higher licence fee to offset the lack of mooring charges.

Ian

Ian

If you are talking about BW licence there is only 'one' price (depending on the length of the boat)

Licence fees and conditions for England and Wales (PDF document)

Ian

If you are talking about BW licence there is only 'one' price (depending on the length of the boat)

Licence fees and conditions for England and Wales (PDF document)

Thanks Keith - late night post-beer posting to blame. I was confusing the issue with that of a shared ownership boat, which AFAICR is seen for licensing purposes as a commercial craft, because it goes so far for so much of the year.

You do have to satisfy BW that you are in fact 'continuously cruising', however.

Ian

(Edited to avoid even more confusion)

Edited by Machpoint005

On another thread about helping hands at locks i recon ill show code 'X' from now on :)

Hmm, there could be some mileage in this.

Given that your average PITA boater wouldn't even know where to look them up, I shall in future hoist CK whilst moving, and SP whilst moored

Given that your average PITA boater wouldn't even know where to look them up, I shall in future hoist CK whilst moving, and SP whilst moored

RY would be very appropiate when moored.

I always like to display B when emptying the elsan :)

I will be honest, im struggling with CK. might have summat to do with the bottle of glenfiddich beside me. i found lots to do with blue peter or blue repeater so ..... no dont tell me...tidal....helpppppppp