The Rochdale, which way to travel it?

johnmck

Featured Posts

We are heading north, intending to traverse the L+L and the Rochdale. Whilst we have done the L+L before, we are Rochdale virgins.

Would it be better to tackle this route clockwise or anti?

We have read that travelling the Rochdale east to west is a tad less challenging, but is it?

Your thoughts much appreciated.

We have read that travelling the Rochdale east to west is a tad less challenging, but is it?

Was any reason expressed why this might be so?

Have only done it East to West, but can't imagine any reason why the other way might have been worse.

I think I read that dropping down into mancunia incurred less crap on the prop than heading up, but how true that be, I dunno.

I think it's more a case that you can 'take your water with you' as you descend that stretch, which makes it easier if levels are low than would be going uphill.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I think it's more a case that you can 'take your water with you' as you descend that stretch, which makes it easier if levels are low than would be going uphill.

Tim

Yes, I think that was another point.

Tim

Yes could be.

We had far more problems with too much water last year than too little.

Going East to West on the ascent we initially struggled to get gates open even with paddles up, because of excess water.

Once over the summit, despite trying not to, we were regularly flooding tow-paths as we emptied locks, and lots of paddles had restrictors to limit the rate you could empty locks.

Particularly a problem where you get to the several locks with subsidence, because if you are otherwise travelling with another boat, you have to go through singly, working them twice. With 10 foot deep locks emptied twice, excess water was a significant issue and we often could not walk to set the next lock without tromping through a flooded tow-path. (The trick of course being to try ad ensure someone is at the next lock before you flood the tow-path!).

Thanks for that Alan. We did the Leeds/Liverpool in 2012, when it poured down all summer and had similar problems. I think the clockwise route would fit for us and should we have a "Summer", bringing down your own water makes sense on a canal with limited reservoir's.

I've just done the Rochdale east to west. I know the east side very well, and moor just below Lock 1, but it was my first time west of Littleborough. The advantage of doing it the other way is that you get the crappy bit out of the way first and can then relax and enjoy the rest.

But I'm not going to. Especially singlehanded.

I did west to east a few weeks ago, struggled for water all the way up out of Manchester. Whatever you do, don't stop until you're past Failsworth!

There is that to take into account. I don't know if they still padlock top and bottom locks but if so, going west you can't start until 8am which gets you to Failsworth early afternoon. If you travel east-west then an early start will get you to Failsworth for 8am so getting through the worst before the scrotes get up.

Alan mentions flooding the towpath but the flight of locks at Gauxholme on the eastern side is also (or was) prone to this.

There is that to take into account. I don't know if they still padlock top and bottom locks but if so, going west you can't start until 8am which gets you to Failsworth early afternoon. If you travel east-west then an early start will get you to Failsworth for 8am so getting through the worst before the scrotes get up.

Alan mentions flooding the towpath but the flight of locks at Gauxholme on the eastern side is also (or was) prone to this.

Thanks for the heads up.

I thought the shorter Calder & Hebble locks leading to the Rochdale were best tackled going up (east to west) if your boat is over 57 feet.

Have heard there is a local team who are willing to help longer boats through using some cunning techniques. One was described to me as follows: The rudder is wedged loosely between partially open bottom gates, then some water from above is blasted in such that you can power the bow over the restricting cill.

Hoping to take this route to complete L & L/Rochdale ring this summer in 60 foot boat, so any comments would be appreciated.

I don't know if they still padlock top and bottom locks but if so, going west you can't start until 8am which gets you to Failsworth early afternoon. If you travel east-west then an early start will get you to Failsworth for 8am so getting through the worst before the scrotes get up.

I never saw any padlocked gates on the journey. Travelled east, got multiple idiot youths shooting at us and trying to steal things off the boat between Miles Platting and Failsworth, ended up stuck at Failsworth basin for 3 days due to no water in the next pound. According to the "Oldham Council youth street team", Failsworth Tesco is where Manchester youths and Oldham youths gather to cause trouble, not a nice place to moor. A lock or two further up it's completely different, much nicer, everything was ok from lock64 eastwards.

The entire West side of the canal seemed to be short of water, and as far as I could see it mainly gets water from the summit. There's a leak in the second pound down from the summit on the East side, local CRT lady gives instructions on how to let water through the top 2 locks to re-fill the pound "until the 2nd fence post is under". As far as I could see the water is leaking out into an adjacent field then draining through a sports field drainage system back into the next pound down, only skipping past one lock. As a consequence there's a bit too much water in the East side from there onwards, with towpaths awash and water 8-12" over the top of some lock gates.

Another vote for it being rather more easy to do east to west (for the same reason of crap shallow pounds / letting water down with you, the HNC is easier to do the other way round). As has been mentioned, the "Manchester 18" (not 18) is now not locked up. An early start from The Rose Of Lancaster (moored just after the aqueduct / Lk 63) will see you down to Piccadilly before the yobs come out, Last year we easily got to Piccadilly after an early start (06:00 to 11:45) That was at virtually tickover all the way, with no trips down the weedhatch. Take your time over to Littleborough, it is one of the most dramatic bits of canal in the country, and certainly one of my favorites.

I never saw any padlocked gates on the journey. Travelled east, got multiple idiot youths shooting at us and trying to steal things off the boat between Miles Platting and Failsworth, ended up stuck at Failsworth basin for 3 days due to no water in the next pound. According to the "Oldham Council youth street team", Failsworth Tesco is where Manchester youths and Oldham youths gather to cause trouble, not a nice place to moor. A lock or two further up it's completely different, much nicer, everything was ok from lock64 eastwards.

The entire West side of the canal seemed to be short of water, and as far as I could see it mainly gets water from the summit. There's a leak in the second pound down from the summit on the East side, local CRT lady gives instructions on how to let water through the top 2 locks to re-fill the pound "until the 2nd fence post is under". As far as I could see the water is leaking out into an adjacent field then draining through a sports field drainage system back into the next pound down, only skipping past one lock. As a consequence there's a bit too much water in the East side from there onwards, with towpaths awash and water 8-12" over the top of some lock gates.

I moor in the first pound down on the east side. Being a small pound it goes up and down for fun, the blacking faeries have been known to sneak in when it's down. We used to think it was leaking into the stream running under, between swing bridge and lock, but c&rt have just done a dye test, it's going under the stonework of the cill into the lock. Second pound down is just ill-fitting gates, it leaks into the next pound. Just run water down from summit level, certainly plenty of water at the moment. Tow path often floods at gauxholme, especially when going down. It soon drains away. Walk on tip toe next to the wall, then you'll only get slightly damp! At least one of the upper ground paddles on gauxholme has no pawl and ratchet, find a small stone to wedge in the rack and pinion, or put your windlass on backwards when it's wound up.

Put your windlass on backwards! I remember coming back from Todmorden back in the 90s and a couple from a Shire Cruisers in raptures, well almost, seeing I'd done that.

Edited by pearley

As you are intending to do the L&L as well an east to west transit of the Rochdale means you will be ascending Wigan Flight so you may have similar water shortages there.

I still think that's the best way as the last leg from Rose of Lancaster to Castlefield is a very long day and easier (for me) to go down rather than go up.

Going east to west also means you won't get soaked at Salterhebble middle lock. The top gates leaked very severely (last time I went through) and the lock chamber being rather short coming down is a nightmare. 60ft boats usually come down backwards but being 57 I don't bother. At 58, 6 you will also need to be very careful at Elland lock, CaRT in their wisdom added a walkway across the bottom gates on the inside of the lock note the damage to the boards caused by unwatched tiller bars!

As it happens we will be doing same this June as we are going to Liverpool and returning by the L&L (assuming there's water by then).

Was at Rochdale summit yesterday and noticed they've raised the level of summit pound by putting boards across the lock gates and by washes , at least 6 inches, maybe a foot. That's several lockfulls more water in the pound, it's near a mile long. Good idea.

Double post edit.

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went up from Piccadilly / Dale Street to the Rose of Lancaster on Monday so west to east. No issues with water but I am not sure if it was because there was a boat an hour or two ahead of us so we had to empty every lock first or because we must have had an inch of rain on Monday! I really enjoyed the journey but it takes a bit of effort, took us 7.5 hours so I would suggest stopping near Piccadilly Village rather than making the full journey to or from Castlefields.

I have no idea how a widebeam could get up there, it looks too tight in places!

It's possible to get to Slattocks from Piccadilly Basin in a day. It gets better from now on, bad bit done.

Littleborough tomorrow? There's a Co op just near the station, good shops in Centre, just walk through the underpass at the station.

It's possible to get to Slattocks from Piccadilly Basin in a day. It gets better from now on, bad bit done.

Littleborough tomorrow? There's a Co op just near the station, good shops in Centre, just walk through the underpass at the station.

Sadly not, the work thing has got in the way for 3 days so have not moved since Tuesday. We will probably drive up on Saturday and then try to get to the top of the Slattock flight so that we can take on water, then go to the pub (if it is dog friendly)

I am liking the Rochdale but good to be past the less good bits.

Sadly not, the work thing has got in the way for 3 days so have not moved since Tuesday. We will probably drive up on Saturday and then try to get to the top of the Slattock flight so that we can take on water, then go to the pub (if it is dog friendly)

I am liking the Rochdale but good to be past the less good bits.

Neither of the Slattocks pubs are anything to write home about, but the Red Lion at Littleborough is a gem.