Not displaying boat index number..

casper ghost

Featured Posts

I purchased from Wilko some 'wheelie bin' sticky backed vinyl numbers to put me on after doing a bit of cabin side touching up (not a euphamism). They were less than £5 by a goodly bit.

Three years later they're still on and in perfect condition.

One day I'll get round to painting them on.....honest :)

Rog

Seems i've been told off for not displaying my index number clearly, noted during the Trust's autumn survey. Though they accept that I did have my licence in the window.. I must hang my head in shame and sit on the naughty step..

Casp'

Tell them to take a running jump. If you are displaying your licence you are displaying your index number and it meets the strict definition of their T&C's.

But...

You must display the Boat’s name, index

number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat

so both the licence and the number

The index number (and as it happens the name too) is on the licence so you are displaying both (or indeed all three). If it said they must be displayed separately or in addition to your licence I would agree with you but it doesn't.

Edited by The Dog House

The index number (and as it happens the name too) is on the licence so you are displaying both (or indeed all three). If it said they must be displayed separately or in addition to your licence I would agree with you but it doesn't.

Photocopy the licence and have both an original and a licence on each side?

It does however state that the number must be clearly visible when the boat is on the waterway, which would include when it is moving. You could not read the number from the license under those conditions.

Ken

But...

You must display the Boat’s name, index
number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat
so both the licence and the number

But you can still display name and number by referring to the licence -- the information isn't "used up" by the fact that the licence is there as a licence (I'm agreeing with Martin).

Photocopy the licence and have both an original and a licence on each side?

smile.png now that's a good idea...hadn't even thought about so simple smile.png

EDT for fat finger typing

Edited by Dharl

It does however state that the number must be clearly visible when the boat is on the waterway, which would include when it is moving. You could not read the number from the license under those conditions.

Ken

It's still visible even if you can't read it. No mention of having to use the naked eye, and no mention of a minimum size.

Or you could just comply with the rules in full and be a conformist. Sometimes it hardly hurts at all! wink.png

Bor -ring!

You are correct but relevant the licence terms from CRT are as follows:

7.1. You must display the Boat’s name,index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way.
so I guess CRT do not recognise the license as being suitable on its own as they may not be easily read from the towpath particularly when the boat is under way. I don't think they are being unreasonable in wishing to identify the boat from a few feet away by the index number.
Edited by churchward

The Dog House, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:37 PM, said:

In the days of displaying a road fund licence you had to display both your licence (which had your reg number on it) and have two number plates.

C&RT are saying you must display your licence AND your boat name and number.

When C&RT eventually get around to doing away with the 'paper disc' will you still argue you do not need to display the name and number ?

Or you could just comply with the rules in full and be a conformist. Sometimes it hardly hurts at all! wink.png

It's the rebel in me sometimes, A bit like Bill and is jacket in the other thread.

I should point out we do have the index number on our boat on each side too along with the licence. but it narcks me a bit when CRT get officious about stuff.

When C&RT eventually get around to doing away with the 'paper disc' will you still argue you do not need to display the name and number ?

you do see an awful amount of boats on the system that DONT display name and/or number. Mrs Dharl likes spotting pretty boat names and gets miffed if she cant see the boats name!

No because they will need a way to check if a boat is licenced or not, ie the index number will act in the same manner as number plates do now on a vehicle.

I also understand they have gone cold on the idea of getting rid of the paper licence.

so I guess CRT do not recognise the license as being suitable on its own as they may not be easily read from the towpath particularly when the boat is under way. I don't think they are being unreasonable in wishing to identify the boat from a few feet away by the index number.

It would be helpful if they specified a number size, perhaps along the lines of "no smaller than the font size on our standard metal plates".

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

Ken

Why should you have to be able to? Trojan's number is displayed only on her licences (yes, one each side). They are visible, but nothing in the rules says that they have to be legible from any particular distance.