emergency gasket seals in nuneaton

matty40s

Featured Posts

Ello all.

moving a boat southwards and had ongoing issues with overheating and coolant loss.

Bodged a hose repair as nowhere open on sunday and investigated the thermostat and found this....

20131222_114548_zpsfkgdiou5.jpg

the gaskets are broken and cant reuse.

Can anyone in or around nuneaton help, I have no car here.? Beer tokens available!!!

No real need to buy one. Make a new one out of the side of a cereal box and grease it well before fitting. You can worry about getting a new one after Christmas.

Grease the bottom of the housing and push onto cardboard. That will give the outline you need t cut to. However I would cut the outside well outside the grease line so it is less likely to split when cutting the stud holes.

Don't know if the pressure will be greater in a boats cooling system tan a car , but I have made emergency gaskets for the thermostat housing from a couple of thickness's of cardboard from cereal packets. a thin film of grease (rubbed into the cardboard so there is no residue) will help waterproof them. Might just get you to where you want to get too, or find somewhere that's open. Good Luck

Was writing while Tony was posting. But cant be bad if we agree the same thing

Edited by Pete & Helen

I thought you meant the boat 'Nuneaton'

The other approach I've used in the past with success is to bung it all together with no gasket. A layer of silicone alone often works fine instead of a gasket, especially if the faces fit accurately.

MtB

PS, if you have any abrasive paper sheets hold it against a window and rub the face of the housing on it. That will show you if it has bowed or not. If it is then either keep on rubbing until it is flat or go to a DIY outlet and buy some silicon sealer to smear all over the new gasket. let it set before adding the coolant. You would in that case have to address the bow eventually though.

Done the cardboard box bit, the hose is still leaking a bit, the hot water outlet from the thermostat has rusted through unevenly and will not allow a snug fit of shortened mended hose. Never mind,lets see how far we get today.

its difficult when you have no tools with you. !!!

Done the cardboard box bit, the hose is still leaking a bit, the hot water outlet from the thermostat has rusted through unevenly and will not allow a snug fit of shortened mended hose. Never mind,lets see how far we get today.

If it leaks where the hose joins the thermostat housing, melt some sugar in a pot to make syrup and smear it all over the stub and shove the hose back on. Or anything sticky like jam, marmalade, honey, but remove the bits of fruit first.

Ah, my mistake should have read more carefully, sounds like the gasket is now OK but the hose isn't ohmy.png

If the hose is leaking on the stub, paste that with silicone too, spray a little water on, then tighten clamp lightly initially. Once the silicone should have 'set up', tighten the clamp FULLY ( sometimes only b*stard tight works for hose clamps smile.png) to compress the silicone before using the engine. A little smear of silicone on a bit of waste card should give an idea of how long it takes to set up.

Same approach can work well for gaskets too, tighten lightly initially then normal tightness later once the silicone has set up. But not too tight on the bolts, broken hose clamps are easy to replace but broken bolts/studs are not ohmy.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Hose gave up the ghost, resembled a colander at a wet lettuce convention, and the motor factors in bedworth shut 5 minutes before I got there. So its now garden hose tightly swapped in a sandwich of amalgamating tape and fabric roll tape.

Onwards again.....after 2 twelve hour days, now behind schedule by a long way.

Hose gave up the ghost, resembled a colander at a wet lettuce convention, and the motor factors in bedworth shut 5 minutes before I got there. So its now garden hose tightly swapped in a sandwich of amalgamating tape and fabric roll tape.

Onwards again.....after 2 twelve hour days, now behind schedule by a long way.

Your having such bad luck,, poor Mattyo cloud9.gif if you need me to shop let me know xx

My sympathy. My first traumatic experience of not being able to get to a pub after a day's boating was because of a burst hose.

Would it help in this situation to run the cooling system unpressurised (ie with the pressure cap on the heat exchanger undone)?

That would require topping up with antifreeze/water mixture, no doubt, as some will evaporate, but that would be preferable to more leaks to hoses etc. That engine looks identical to mine (Mitsubishi) which has a 82 deg C thermostat, so the water shouldn't boil.

• Greenie 1

The water may not obviously boil, but the reason that cooling systems are pressurised is often to stop localised boiling in the most thermally stressed areas. Typical places where this can happen are in the head round the valves and injector entry where a good flow of water is not easily achieved.

For short periods at low power there are not likely to be consequences, but if there are low coolant levels and high power is used, even for quite short periods, there can be localised overheating and this can cause cracking.

N