Fire Extinguishers

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Normal disclaimer about checking it complies with regulations etc but Aldi are doing a 6Kg dry powder fore extinguishers next week

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-17th-november/product-detail/ps/p/6kg-fire-extinguisher/

I bought a three fire extinguishers from either Aldi or Lidl a few years ago and showed them to the BSS examiner. He had a look and said they were ok as they carried an approved European mark. I fitted one into the boat (we are seriously over specced on fire extinguishers) and have the other two in our cars.

Edited by David Schweizer

Normal disclaimer about checking it complies with regulations etc but Aldi are doing a 6Kg dry powder fore extinguishers next week

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-17th-november/product-detail/ps/p/6kg-fire-extinguisher/

Seems a bargain to me. Even if it doesnt comply to legislation at that price for that size as an addition would be well worth it. I have a 6kg and a 4kg amongst other extinguishers on my boat, you cannot have too many after all.

Tim

Its Sunday 17th that they are on sale, I will be hoping to get one as I need a 3rd to comply with BSC. I was quoted £29 for a 2kg one by a Fire Extinguisher firm so these are good value, Approved to BSI EN3 which is the standard they are looking for for the BSC.

Just a note of types of fire extinguishers I have a CO2 extinguisher on my boat in Holland but it is kept outside by the engine room vent they are very good on engine fires and don't make a mess. They should NOT be kept inside a boat because if they leaked they will kill you.

Just a note of types of fire extinguishers I have a CO2 extinguisher on my boat in Holland but it is kept outside by the engine room vent they are very good on engine fires and don't make a mess. They should NOT be kept inside a boat because if they leaked they will kill you.

Green (colour) ones are better.

Green ones?? never seen a green one before.(except in the MOD. Old CO2's were black/white and new ones are red with black/white markings

there used to be red, green and black until the europeans stepped in and said they all had to be red regardless of the extinguishant ....

Green ones were BCF or sometimes BTM. Both are bromo-fluoro-carbons and banned by the Montreal Convention on Halo-carbon substances , except in very limited circumstances which don't include domestic fire extinguishers.

BCF and BTM were brilliant fire extinguishants because they interfered with the chemical processes of fire, and didn't make a mess. Whilst not poisonous they don't support life so not much good in occupied spaces.

N

there used to be red, green and black until the europeans stepped in and said they all had to be red regardless of the extinguishant ....

And what a stupid decision that was. you used to be able to spot the correct extinguisher for the job from afar, but now you have to be close enough to read the label, In a hanger were you might have 4 different types time is of the essence. I suppose they only thought about having one type fore each work/domestic area

From memory there used to be six colours of fire extinguisher , Red - water, Cream - foam, Blue - powder, Black - carbon dioxide, and yellow and green (cannot remember what they were, but we had all of them in one place where I worked)

I'd forgotten about 'cream' and wasn't sure about Blue so didn't include that. I can't ever remember Yellow ones but as I'd forgotten about cream ones...

I seem to recall a very experienced fire officer telling me that most times fire extinguishers were a waste of time because people either panicked and couldn't set them off when needed or they failed to work properly... although I wouldn't want not to have some on the boat...

(ETA - Green were BCF as Bengo said)

Edited by jonathanA

I'd forgotten about 'cream' and wasn't sure about Blue so didn't include that. I can't ever remember Yellow ones but as I'd forgotten about cream ones...

I seem to recall a very experienced fire officer telling me that most times fire extinguishers were a waste of time because people either panicked and couldn't set them off when needed or they failed to work properly... although I wouldn't want not to have some on the boat...

(ETA - Green were BCF as Bengo said)

As I used to be in the RAF I was lucky enough to be able to practice using different types of extinguisher, not something you get to do in civi street. and if I remember the yellow were Wet Chemical for use on solid or liquid (mainly fats and oils)

Its Sunday 17th that they are on sale, I will be hoping to get one as I need a 3rd to comply with BSC. I was quoted £29 for a 2kg one by a Fire Extinguisher firm so these are good value, Approved to BSI EN3 which is the standard they are looking for for the BSC.

If you're near to Ikea they do them for £20 if you sign up for their loyalty card:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50143351/

ETA the one I have has a LPCB stamp so should be OK for BSS, but worth checking instore.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

• 3 months later...

green was halon. now banned as ozone depleting. only used on aircraft engines

http://buyextinguishersonline.co.uk/shop/fire-extinguishers/powder-extinguishers/1kg-abc-powder appear to be £10 each but what rating and does that include vat and p & p

If you add to cart you will see that its not including VAT.

1Kg is a bit small (depending what size boat you have) 2Kg is a better size which will give you about 13A fire rating. If in doubt contact them and ask

You could let one off inside your boat and it still won't kill you.

I bought a large CO2 one for possible engine fires...after the experience of a friend of mine...

He had a fire in the engine compartment while the engine was running..and blasted it with the dry powder...

Some of the powder got into the engine and it was wrecked..

His insurers wouldn't pay up as he did not have an extinguisher suitable for the fire..

He tried a court case..but lost....

Hence..I bought a CO2 one !!

I bought a large CO2 one for possible engine fires...after the experience of a friend of mine...

He had a fire in the engine compartment while the engine was running..and blasted it with the dry powder...

Some of the powder got into the engine and it was wrecked..

His insurers wouldn't pay up as he did not have an extinguisher suitable for the fire..

He tried a court case..but lost....

Hence..I bought a CO2 one !!

That's strange as powder is sold for use in engine bays, as it's suitable for flammable liquids. I'm surprised he lost the court case.

That's strange as powder is sold for use in engine bays, as it's suitable for flammable liquids. I'm surprised he lost the court case.

I think that are OK for engine bays..but not if the engine is running..as they draw the powder in..

You know that magic cop out..?...small print...?

It was in the 'small print'....to have fire fighting equipment suitable for the type of fire...and it wasn't suitable if the engine was running (apparently)..

PLUS...small print can only be overcome with mucho money !!

I think that are OK for engine bays..but not if the engine is running..as they draw the powder in..

You know that magic cop out..?...small print...?

It was in the 'small print'....to have fire fighting equipment suitable for the type of fire...and it wasn't suitable if the engine was running (apparently)..

PLUS...small print can only be overcome with mucho money !!

The ones I've seen are automatic ext.