Best varnish for indoors and out

Featured Posts

I've been using International Yacht Varnish (clear and satin) on the inside wooden cabinet fronts, and door and hatch frames that get exposed to the elements, for the last couple of years, with good results. Suddenly, the International doesn't seem to be available in any of the usual outlets, such as big DIY places etc. We are CCing, so receiving by post is complicated.

Anyone had good experience of indoor and outdoor use of any other yacht varnishes (easily available)?

I've used some Screwfix Yacht varnish from the no nonsense range and really impressed with it. I've just coated a new boat pole with it too. Where I previously used it 5 years ago in the engine room it's still perfectly intact. Engine room is exposed to the elements quite a lot as we leave the hatch doors open for the cats. Very easy to apply too.

We have always found Wilkinsons yacht varnish okay. A bit smelly until it goes off a bit. (But they all are really.)We have also found that interior varnish is useless.

Martyn. Edit to add. We don't always use yacht varnish. Sometimes just exterior.

Edited by Nightwatch

I've used some Screwfix Yacht varnish from the no nonsense range and really impressed with it. I've just coated a new boat pole with it too. Where I previously used it 5 years ago in the engine room it's still perfectly intact. Engine room is exposed to the elements quite a lot as we leave the hatch doors open for the cats. Very easy to apply too.

I like the sound of this. (I like the sound of not doing it again for 5 years!)

Professional Danish oil is good outside. Keep rubbing and you can get it almost up to French polish standard.

I use Danish oil (not sure how 'professional' it is) on interior window frames and sections of the ash panelling in the lounge. But find it only lasts a few months before it needs reapplying.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I've been using International Yacht Varnish (clear and satin) on the inside wooden cabinet fronts, and door and hatch frames that get exposed to the elements, for the last couple of years, with good results. Suddenly, the International doesn't seem to be available in any of the usual outlets, such as big DIY places etc. We are CCing, so receiving by post is complicated.

Anyone had good experience of indoor and outdoor use of any other yacht varnishes (easily available)?

I've always used Sikkens rather than varnish. It doesn't form a skin. Once vanish gets nicked, air and damp get under it and it starts to peel and flake.

Sikkens just soaks into wood and allows it to breathe. Just my preference.

Exterior: I use clear wood wax and then any exterior varnish. So far so good and hopefully I will comment again in a year or two's time.

Interior: Ikea Behandel is still looking good on the porthole frames after a year

I think we used Ronseal on the insides of our cabin recently, although, as it is recent, I can offer no comment on its longevity!

If I was varnishing exterior woodwork I would certainly go for something from a yachting/boat brand rather than a DIY brand 'yacht varnish' maybe im old fashioned, but certainly if it where twice the price it would not put me off. Ditto, i'm sure the nonsense/wilkos stuff is good but it just appears too cheap to me compared to my time in putting it on, and or removing it when its failed,

Daniel