Fridge Not Turning Off

wet nelly

Featured Posts

I found..that when I used an expensive digital thermometer, it was very difficult to get our Shoreline (nearly new at time) ..anywhere near 5 degrees.

It involved it running nearly all the time During hot weather.

In the end..we decided to just use it as a cool cabinet and not keep things in there too long.

Didn't die..so guess it was OK.

I did have mine running all the time during a cold snap...and changed the thermostat.

I just used a 'generic' one from a fridge spares place...£6 including the post.

Edited by Bobbybass

Thanks everybody, we are now thinking of getting solar panels so we don't have to have the engine running for so long, by the time we get it sorted it will probably be winter anyway!!!

Find out what your problem is first or you will never keep your batteries charged

In this hot weather the fridge is continually humming and won't switch off, we have it on No.2 setting, would it be best to have it turned up high & will that stop it constantly humming? Thanks for any help & advice.

Try just pulling the fridge forward by an inch or two, the improved air circulation around the hot bits (technical term) at the back often reduces running times.

Steve (Eeyore)

• Greenie 1

+1

Check the ventilation at back, sides and top meets what the manufacturers recommend at the very least, especially for a 12V fridge.

There's been a fair few discussions on this, some use a 12V PC fan to blow cooler air up from the bilge to cut run times, try a forum search for 'fridge fan'.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

In this hot weather the fridge is continually humming and won't switch off, we have it on No.2 setting, would it be best to have it turned up high & will that stop it constantly humming? Thanks for any help & advice.

hi hope this helps we are in the same 'boat' we still have our sea going boat up for sale will be moving onto narrowboat as soon as its sold. Sorry back to the isue, our fridge has also been continually running 12v or 24v. I have fitted a computer fan with a temperature control to SUCK out the heat from where the fridge is mounted, as we were told that the build up of heat is causing the problem, Hey presto it DOES work the fan starts up now & again to cool it down, however the fridge works great again. hope that helps

I found..that when I used an expensive digital thermometer, it was very difficult to get our Shoreline (nearly new at time) ..anywhere near 5 degrees.

It involved it running nearly all the time During hot weather.

In the end..we decided to just use it as a cool cabinet and not keep things in there too long.

Didn't die..so guess it was OK.

Much of what I have in the fridge is bread and salad which doesn't need to be so cold, but do have a bit of dairy stuff and sometimes meat etc which is best below 5°C

So this week I made the top shelf in the fridge into a solid sheet, and put the moveable door shelf just inline with it to help keep the air up top coldest.

I then put the meat and dairy stuff on the top shelf and the bread and salad below. With the fridge on 3 and running 35% of the time the stuff at the top was 2-4°C and the stuff below was 10-12°C cheers.gif

BUT - This would only work with an old stylee fridge with ice box and defrost tray underneath which uses the ice box to chill the fridge, and not a more modern fridge with a 'cold back' like a larder fridge. ohmy.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Much of what I have in the fridge is bread and salad which doesn't need to be so cold, but do have a bit of dairy stuff and sometimes meat etc which is best below 5°C

So this week I made the top shelf in the fridge into a solid sheet, and put the moveable door shelf just inline with it to help keep the air up top coldest.

I then put the meat and dairy stuff on the top shelf and the bread and salad below. With the fridge on 3 and running 35% of the time the stuff at the top was 2-4°C and the stuff below was 10-12°C cheers.gif

BUT - This would only work with an old stylee fridge with ice box and defrost tray underneath which uses the ice box to chill the fridge, and not a more modern fridge with a 'cold back' like a larder fridge. ohmy.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

You haven't done a food hygiene course. Bread should be above the meat.

You haven't done a food hygiene course. Bread should be above the meat.

I haven't done a food hygiene course but do know all about cross contamination.

As soon as I unseal the pack of meat, I use some fresh and divvy up and freeze the rest.

Anyway as Ditchcrawler says the shelf is solid, I used the glass shelf from lower down on top of the barred one, with a couple of glass placemats to extend it to the back.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thanks everybody, we've found that pulling out the fridge and fanning it with a towel helps, not very technical but it works, we've also pulled it forward a bit too as previously suggested, I think it needs to have a bit more air around it. Hopefully the weather will cool down a bit now. Wet Nelly

As long as there's no risk of cross contamination I think it's best to keep meat and poultry where it's coldest.

Don't really like putting raw meat on the bottom shelf as it's right above the salad sick.gif, also in my fridge the temperature is higher down there than just under the ice box.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete